Just had a Visit From Immigration

I just had an arranged visit from Immigration. As I have posted, I filed for my initial Application for Retirement on Wednesday and was told that Immmigration will visit me.

I gave them my Landlords telephone number when they called, and they all showed up at 11am, my Landlord and two very nice ladies. My Landlord is in his 70s and a Dual Citizen of the USA and Thailand. I get the impression he is quite wealthy. We have a great relationship.

The ladies came in with him. I offered them coffee and Thai sweets and they all declined, but I got approving smiles from the ladies. They asked if I lived alone and I said yes. I gave them my Passport and my Blue slip (showing I was to go back on the 8th of November) and they asked for my Income letter. They filled out a form, in Thai, which they explained was a form acknowledging that I lived at the residence alone. My Landlord read it and signed it and said to me that it is an acknowledgment as aforesaid and it was OK to sign, so I did. 

They then gave me back my papers, and the ladies told me to keep my Blue Slip with my passport until I go back to Immigration. They then did the following: took a picture of me holding my passport next to my face. Took a picture of me, my landlord and one of the Ladies inside the condo. Took another picture of all three of us in front of my Unit number. Took another picture of all three of us downstairs in front of the Condo sign.

It was totally non confrontational. Both my Landlord and one of the Officers speak English and there were smiles and joking, especially when I apologized for wearing a Red Bull T-shirt (Im sorry, can I put on better shirt? Laughter. Is my picture ok? Suay, laughter. You have many falang to visit? Ehhhhh, so many!) I think it helped too that I cleaned up...they looked at the neatness with approval. It also healped I think that my Landlord is probably very wealthy and a dual citizen.

The told me to make sure I went back to "C1" on November 8th. 

YMMV

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

As I have posted, I filed for my initial Application for Retirement on Wednesday and was told that Immmigration will visit me.

You applied for a non immigrant visa based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

• Like 2

Had my first visit ever this morning, from Kap Choeng Immig. They didn't actually come to our house but went to the Headwoman's house up the road & rang to ask us up there. Headwoman signed a paper with our details on, they checked my p/p, took a photo of me & my b/f and that was that. All very friendly - smiles & jokes, wais and handshakes at the end.

The fact that we have a local policeman BIL no doubt helps ...

Edited by mfd101
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You applied for a non immigrant visa based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

Yes thats what I did. And because you know that thats why I listen to you ????

A inflammatory post and a reply to it have been removed.

Edit: Forum Rule

"9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion."

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

Post removed.

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

You will not block contact with moderators or administrators. Doing so will result in suspension.

Eh..I got a visit a couple of months back. Whilst I don't like the idea, the guys who showed up were pretty cool about it. Especially since I hadn't updated my address...whoops..

They said they'd had orders from the top to go around and check on every foreigners address. This was a few weeks before the media started reporting about the current crackdown.

My dog started going off his nut at the police which they had a chuckle about and made a comment about what a good guard dog he was. 

Edited by akirasan
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, akirasan said:

Whilst I don't like the idea, the guys who showed up were pretty cool about it.

Thats what impressed me, these ladies were just totally cool about it...like, hey this is our job. In fact, thinking about it, the reason that they took pictures with themselves included was probably more to prove that they did their job and visted me.

They were very nice, friendly and professional. See how you feel in your gut if ICE shows up at your house ????

• Like 1

Hi Guys, if you can help me please. I am 76 married to Thai lady for 11 years. Live in village close to Khon Kaen. We have had house here for 10 yrs. I have a yellow book. I am from New Zealand. I have a company business in NZ which I have handed over to my son. I am a member in the APEC system and I never need a visa. I can come many times and I automatically get 90 days. If I am here more than 90 days I drive up to Laos border Nong Kai and get another 90 days,

i go back to NZ 3 times a year to see my family. I would like to apply for marriage visa. What do you think. I have 4 years validity left on my APEC card which will make me 80 and I do Bt I kill be given a new one at this age. They are issued if you have a trading company that does any business with any of the 22 Asia pacific members. I can go into all these countries and get 90 days stay. I have no problem with the money in Thai Bank. I am well known and liked in the village.. I just think it is about time I got the visa.

what you think.??

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shaurene said:

I would like to apply for marriage visa. What do you think.

It would be good since you would not have to do a border hop for a new 90 days if you stay longer than 90 days. 

You would first need to get a single entry non-o visa to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage. You could easily get one at the Thai embassy in Vientiane. The visa would allow a 90 day entry. 

You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months on the date you apply for the extension during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry.

The last time I did my extension the immigration officers kindly filled out the 'visit' form (whatever form they fill out if they do a visit) in the office after asking my wife for all the necessary information. They then got my wife to read the form and check all the details were correct, before signing off on it. This was at Mahasarakham and it was a slow day (e.g. we were the only ones at the IO that afternoon).

5 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

See how you feel in your gut if ICE shows up at your house

Salient observation indeed. Those who rant about surly Thai IO's haven't been upbraided by the ICE person with their fingerprint scans and the drenched in suspicion 'What are you here for?' quiz starter. And they wear black shirts too!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Salient observation indeed. Those who rant about surly Thai IO's haven't been upbraided by the ICE person with their fingerprint scans and the drenched in suspicion 'What are you here for?' quiz starter. And they wear black shirts too!

Somehow two pretty attractive ladies in their 30s who took their shoes off and waied me don't compare to a pair of buff dudes with high and tights, Oakley's and Kevlar with Glocks or Sigs. Although in that circumstance  i would be able to reserve my rights and tell them to f-off, call my lawyer, I'd be polite to them too first. Smiles get better results than snarls, and I've had cuffs on me more than once.

• Like 2