Bill Gates' Post On Thailand's 'Condom King' Is A Must-Read

webfact

Bill Gates' Post On Thailand's 'Condom King' Is A Must-Read

"The world can continue to learn from Mechai's efforts to expand access to contraceptives," writes Bill Gates

Offbeat | Sanya Jain 

"Mechai has helped improve the lives of millions," writes Bill Gates

When philanthropist, author and the founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates, writes a tribute to someone, you can be sure it's worth reading. About 11 hours ago, Mr Gates took to Instagram to speak about Mechai Viravaidya, a social activist from Thailand who is credited with promoting the use of condoms and encouraging responsible family planning in the country.

Affectionately known as 'Mr Condom' or 'The Condom King' in his country, Mr Viravaidya's efforts at AIDS awareness helped Thailand become one of the first countries in the world to achieve a decline in HIV infections.

"In a country where most people were uneasy discussing sex, Mechai Viravaidya pushed the conversation out into the open," writes Mr Gates in his Instagram post, sharing four pictures of Mr Viravaidya while praising his efforts.

Full story: https://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/bill-gates-post-on-thailands-condom-king-mechai-viravaidya-is-a-must-read-1937959

-- NDTV 2018-10-26

• Like 1

- Thailands population is declining

with all the problems in the future (immigrants from Africa- or from Bengalen-  will not be the solution for Thai (!) people !)

- Thai families eroding

Gates a   philanthropist !

do not let me start with this one (seems the ten owning half of the world are all philanthropists

my god

(who is in control of the world-news ?)

• Confused 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

Probably to save the world from over population, which is one of the reasons that our planet i suffering.

This is so true but he is not the one to look to when looking for a saviour.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Lower the population of the planet by billions? If we keep on going lke we are, disease,starvation and war will inevitably do that.  But certain cultures and religions intend to be the one single dominant culture sfter any such event and have a built-in "full speed ahead and damp the torpedos" philosophy.  That is the problem. 

Hare Hare. :hit-the-fan:

4 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

If he was a nerd in school or not, has no relevance to who he is today and what he say. If he wants to lower the population by billions, the answer to that would be easy. Probably to save the world from over population, which is one of the reasons that our planet i suffering.

Conspiracy theorists have long been latching onto a comment that Bill Gates made years ago about vaccines helping to reduce overpopulation.  They take it as evidence that vaccines are designed to kill people, when in fact what he was alluding to is that reducing infant mortality tends to reduce population growth.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Notagain said:

I think its has more to do with lowering the amount of sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV.

HIV was rife in Thailand and a lot of country's, in the news every day few years back, but not know, wonder why. This guy has certainly contributed to it. A great guy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, liberty9133 said:

Bill was a total nerd in school. Now , it's pay back time for him. He is not the kind of person one should follow. Why does he want to lower the population by billions? More important, when and how?

Its about AIDS. Lowering the number infected with AIDS. Thats a good thing!. If he did want to depopulate the world well there is just cause. Too many 3rd world countries especially keep popping out children but the abilty to feed future populations will be a serious problem not to mention other things associated with a larger population such as more aging, more health care issues and catastrophe for serious outbreaks with stocks of antivirals as an example needing even greater numbers to cater. I could go on all day about an kncreasing unemployment, enviromental impacts, etc.. but think youll get the idea.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Notagain said:

I think its has more to do with lowering the amount of sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV.

No. At the time when Meechai started his activities, there were like 7 children to each family - not that people wanted that or could feed 7 children, but horny does it. Condoms were only available at some pharmacies, and those weren't in the countryside. Meechai's short-term goal was to provide condoms in as many places as cabbages - i.e. everywhere - and within a few years, the number of children per family lowered to much more sustainable levels. Later, the drive's direction changed slightly to fight the very high AIDS figures in the country. He and his organization have done sooooooo much good - it's almost unbelievable. Educating country folks as to how to farm as a community; starting schools were there were none (the big one near Buriram is running circles around expensive, private schools); the list is endless. When you go to eat at Cabbages & Condoms (and yes, even the dimmest will notice the link), you contribute, as most of the operating profits go to Mr. Condom's good activities. And there, you also see an old photo of Bill Gates handing Meechai a price for his achievements. He's a hero, plain and simple!

Edited by AsiaCheese
  • Like 2

-Meanwhile Mr. Gates comes from a country where in many towns condoms are “hidden” in back of a drugstore and sex education is “voodoo”  to discuss in the public school system. Many of the far right Evangelical “Christian” families believe “sex ed” should be taught at home; meanwhile, their teenage pregnancies rates one of the highest compared to other cultural groups in USA. Look at Sarah Palin’s children as an example.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, johnnysunshine said:

Who gets to decide how and when we lower the population and who gets picked to go?

People do so themselves, to a very large extent - when they get some help in doing so!! There's no need for 10 kids when 1-2 will survive thanks to vaccines. And... - I could go on for hours but that would be trying to educate dumbed-down-by-Alex-Jones peeps, and that's a hopeless venture.

6 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Think everyone who dines at cabbage and condoms does so for two very good reasons. 

With every bag of rice, a condom was included.  Such a wonderful story.

The food is meh, though. Tried two different branches a few times, ain't coming back.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Changoverandout said:

Try the cabbage next time, less chewy 

I've eaten at Cabbages and Condoms in Bkk (sukhumvit) and in Pattaya and taken many visitors to the Pattaya branch.

Can't fault the food or the service in any way, always excellent.

Many folks I've taken there are now regulars.

9 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Think everyone who dines at cabbage and condoms does so for two very good reasons. 

With every bag of rice, a condom was included.  Such a wonderful story.

Took my daughter there this year and she had a handful of condoms when we paid. She forgot all about them, then at a recent Parents Evening (she is a teacher) she pulled something from her handbag and several condoms came out. Now try explaining that to an English Mum & Dad and precious daughter in rural Suffolk.

• Haha 2