Enfield Himalayan 411

AllanB

• 2 weeks later...

Had an Enfield 500 Bullet back in 2009 (one of the last ones to be sold "new"). Still the old version with 4 gears right hand side, drum brakes (duplex front-brake), the ingenious feature to shift from 4th to idle, and the horrible carburator and ignition coil that stopped it every once in a while against expectation. But the sound, the driving-experience and the spirit that came with it was great. Loved it. Looking at this new Himalayan 411, whithout knowing how it runs, I think, I´d prefer another (whatsoever) brand, because they all look the same. Matter of price and performance and spare parts

10 hours ago, pikao said:

Had an Enfield 500 Bullet back in 2009 (one of the last ones to be sold "new"). Still the old version with 4 gears right hand side, drum brakes (duplex front-brake), the ingenious feature to shift from 4th to idle, and the horrible carburator and ignition coil that stopped it every once in a while against expectation. But the sound, the driving-experience and the spirit that came with it was great. Loved it. Looking at this new Himalayan 411, whithout knowing how it runs, I think, I´d prefer another (whatsoever) brand, because they all look the same. Matter of price and performance and spare parts

What I really like is the engine note, low rpm torque, the low seat height/centre of gravity, much better when offroading (at low speed) and the fact that it is built for the Himalayan terrain. What i don't like is the poor top end speed and harshness at high rpm.

All based on hearsay, I might add.

4 minutes ago, AllanB said:

and the fact that it is built for the Himalayan terrain. What i don't like is the poor top end speed and harshness at high rpm.

All based on hearsay, I might add.

It is another 'ADV' bike

Same HP as your CRF, 10Nm more torque

It is produced for the Himalayan terrain ??? ... the same as your CRF was produced so girls can ride around the world on one ???

6 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

It is another 'ADV' bike

Same HP as your CRF, 10Nm more torque

It is produced for the Himalayan terrain ??? ... the same as your CRF was produced so girls can ride around the world on one ???

What you are quoting is peak bhp and torque which are meaningless, the whole problem with the CRF is that there is no torque at low rpm, where I need it. Indeed, my little Lifan was better in that respect. The CRF would be useless in the Himalayas, where there are many rocky roads and river clossings. You (read I) need to get your feet down, I am 6 foot and can't do that easily on my CRF and the CofG is way too high.  

Stef, who you refer to as a "girl" has done more than all the "boys" on this forum put together, so hardly just a "girl". I must say that she is one of the reasons I bought my CRF, didn't join the dots when it came to our different requirments.

So the plan is to leave the CRF to someone who can use it as intended. Someone younger who wants to dance over the bumps on his own.

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

I have a feeling that the CRF250L would woop an Enfield's arse in the above scenarios....

Only if you are confident enough to ride through a rocky river with your feet on the pegs, most amateurs prefer arse planted in the seat, feet as outriggers.

1 hour ago, AllanB said:

The CRF would be useless in the Himalayas, where there are many rocky roads and river clossings.requirments.

RE front suspension travel - 7.87" CRF - 9.8"

RE rear - 7.08" CRF - 9.4"

RE ground clearance - 8.6" CRF - 10"

Now tell me which would be a better performer in rocky roads and river crossings

1 minute ago, canthai55 said:

RE front suspension travel - 7.87" CRF - 9.8"

RE rear - 7.08" CRF - 9.4"

RE ground clearance - 8.6" CRF - 10"

Now tell me which would be a better performer in rocky roads and river crossings

So you are saying suspension travel and ground clearance is everything? 

I would suggest that if you have a rock that requires 10" of suspension travel, better to steer around it. Long travel is only important for jumping.

Low centre of gravity and low seat height is much more important.

5 minutes ago, AllanB said:

Only if you are confident enough to ride through a rocky river with your feet on the pegs, most amateurs prefer arse planted in the seat, feet as outriggers.

Yes, i am confident enough to ride on the pegs. It's what the serrations are there for.

Or just there for pose value for the amateurs...

1 hour ago, AllanB said:

I am 6 foot and can't do that easily on my CRF and the CofG is way too high.

Yes, that is why dual sport trail bikes with generous ground clearance are tall - so that, you know, you can go off road. A bit.

Perhaps a bit of due dilligence was neccessary before you purchased this bike in the first place. And maybe a test ride.

1 hour ago, AllanB said:

Stef, who you refer to as a "girl" has done more than all the "boys" on this forum put together,

Speak for yourself.

Yes she spent 4 years going round the world on a CRF250L, and kudos and congrats to her for doing that.

And yes, i have'nt ridden round the world in a 4 year period. I wish i could/had.

But no, just because of that trip, i would not say she has done more than me, let alone everyone on this forum. I'd just say she's ridden a remarkable, different, interesting long journey.

2 hours ago, AllanB said:

What you are quoting is peak bhp and torque which are meaningless, the whole problem with the CRF is that there is no torque at low rpm, where I need it. Indeed, my little Lifan was better in that respect.

Listen Allan, just buy something that is actually fit for purpose. Your purpose.

ie what will do the job.

Or modify what you have.

The saga just gets more ridiculous with each previous bike or future possible purchase.

First you realized a Chinese 200cc dual sport was'nt powerful enough for your longer journeys or two up on holiday.

Surprise!

So you sold that and bought a stock new Japanese 250 dual sport and realized it's not great for two up riding.

Surprise!

Plenty of people with more experience than me in CRF250L mods have told you what is needed to transform the bike for less than 500$.

Now you are thinking of replacing the 250 dual sport with a 400cc Indian dual sport with similar power, a bit more torque.  but a hell of a lot more girth (weight).

I'm sure after a month of Enfield 400 "adventure bike" ownership, you'll be on here telling us how gutless it is for two up touring....

25 minutes ago, AllanB said:

And they look like complete numpties that should not even be off road.

It is not the way you would be taught at an off road school.

Just stop coming out with daft, silly statements please.

14 minutes ago, AllanB said:

and low seat height is much more important.

Yeah, right, that's why all off road orientated bikes have a seat height around 25" just like a Softail Harley....

Jeez, just can't make it up.:cheesy:

Keep digging yerself a deeper hole.....

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

400cc Indian dual sport with similar power, a bit more torque.  but a hell of a lot more girth (weight).

RE 191kg - 7.8kg / HP  6kg / NM

CRF 144kg - 5.9kg / HP 6.4kg / NM

Now ... show me how the RE will be a better performer

Torque - which you cherish above all else - is virtually identical.

I really the bike reviews by Nathan in the video posted the OP - but everyone has their own perspective, and this is a review from a guy who chose a second hand 110cc postie bike to ride from Australia to UK.  I admire his ability and endurance, but not so sure about his viewpoint on bikes.

He's also had other bikes since his big trip, and his thoughts on the BMW 310 in another review were very interesting, but still, if you're baseline for adventure travel is a C110, anything's going to feel great.

Having said that, I had a good look at the Himalayan as it has a lot of virtues - but Nathan rode the UK spec bike with abs and improved quality control, not so sure about the Thai spec Himalayans?

But this sector is getting really interesting, with the improved 19 inch front wheeled CB500X, the Versys X300, the BMW G310GS, the CRF 250 Rally, the Enfield and the forthcoming KTM 390 adventure.

For me the ideal mid-sized adventure bike would either be the 2019 CB500X or a Versys x400 - which must be on the way soon?

6 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Listen Allan, just buy something that is actually fit for purpose. Your purpose.

ie what will do the job.

Or modify what you have.

The saga just gets more ridiculous with each previous bike or future possible purchase.

First you realized a Chinese 200cc dual sport was'nt powerful enough for your longer journeys or two up on holiday.

Surprise!

So you sold that and bought a stock new Japanese 250 dual sport and realized it's not great for two up riding.

Surprise!

Plenty of people with more experience than me in CRF250L mods have told you what is needed to transform the bike for less than 500$.

Now you are thinking of replacing the 250 dual sport with a 400cc Indian dual sport with similar power, a bit more torque.  but a hell of a lot more girth (weight).

I'm sure after a month of Enfield 400 "adventure bike" ownership, you'll be on here telling us how gutless it is for two up touring....

"Sad but true"

got my vote for "post of the month"

On 11/9/2018 at 8:18 AM, thaiguzzi said:

Yeah, right, that's why all off road orientated bikes have a seat height around 25" just like a Softail Harley....

Jeez, just can't make it up.:cheesy:

Keep digging yerself a deeper hole.....

I wasn't referring to an off-road bike, I was referring to one designed for the Himalayas. The clue is in the name, Himalayan 411 try to keep up lad.

Archived