Getting a Drivers License - My Expeience

statman78

11 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

Its like all the Motor registries here must make their own rules.

I used my AU licence without a international permit.  All I had to print is what our DL codes meant.

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/licence/driver/licence-classes.html

Spend a few days in Pattaya its alot easier here and have a bit of a holiday ????

Ha ha.. thanks for that.. good idea!  

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, rhodie said:

I got mine from Kalasin about 6 months ago. Absolutely painless with Yellow Book, IDP, medical certificate and OA visa. Just had to do the colour blind test, nothing else.

Thanks.. when my IDP arrives I will try again.. hopefully it is as easy for me this time.. I have the yellow book & OA visa... I'll get a medical cert.. 

38 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

And doesn't an International Driving Permit translate a foreign Driving Licence into ENGLISH.

Yes that's all it does..so if your licence is already in English an IDP is pretty useless !

certainly never needed it at the Chonburi Department of Land Transportation.

edit  English and a few other languages but not Thai.

Question on the Yellow book...

As Charlie mentioned - A Yellow Book for the house can be obtained in which a Foreigner is listed. 

Does the Foreigner have to be married to the owner of the house (as the Op pointed out). 

OR could a rental agreement be drawn up by the Ops Girlfriend and have he Op 'rent' in which case the Op may then be added to the Yellow house book ?

(just flying idea's out there - it seems as always there is an inconsistent approach when the amphur offices applier their own interpretation of the rules).

39 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This is not correct, if a foreigner has permanent residency he can be listed as resident in a blue house book. Even without permanent residency a foreigner can be named as house master in a blue house book, even though this doesn't help him to confirm his address, because for this he would have to be listed as resident

A foreigner can not get his "own" yellow house book, because this book belongs to the house and not to a person. But the owner of a house can request a yellow house book for his house to which then foreigners can be added.

But can if he owns a  "condo"?

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

As Charlie mentioned - A Yellow Book for the house can be obtained in which a Foreigner is listed. 

Does the Foreigner have to be married to the owner of the house (as the Op pointed out). 

OR could a rental agreement be drawn up by the Ops Girlfriend and have he Op 'rent' in which case the Op may then be added to the Yellow house book ?

(just flying idea's out there - it seems as always there is an inconsistent approach when the amphur offices applier their own interpretation of the rules).

Unfortunately the only concrete answer to that is go ask your own local Amphur what they require.

You know how it can be, vary by office, and even by who you see in that office.

35 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

But can if he owns a  "condo"?

Can what? Get a yellow house book for a condo? Of course he can, i just wanted to point out that the yellow house book is not his "personal" house book, but that it belongs to the house and any foreigner living there can be registered in it. If for example you get a yellow house book for your condo and do ever sell the condo you would give the yellow house book to the buyer

3 hours ago, featography said:

When did they start issuing 2 year license and have they discontinued the 1 year temp?

March 2015 or 2016?

I would have to dig deep to find out which of the two.

EDIT: it was Monday, 23 March 2015.

So more than three years ago.

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

But to know how ones local DLT accepts it one has to ask them

For example in Udon Thani: Original + copy is ok for the medical certificate, but they want two original certificates of residence

At AEK when I last renewed my car and MC licenses I was told that only one original of each document was sufficient and copies of them for the second.

Udon Immigration will want you to get 2 certificates of residence for thier "tea fund" but the DLT at AEK will accept 1 and a copy.

14 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

At AEK when I last renewed my car and MC licenses I was told that only one original of each document was sufficient and copies of them for the second.

Udon Immigration will want you to get 2 certificates of residence for thier "tea fund" but the DLT at AEK will accept 1 and a copy.

I went to the DLT a bit outside of the city at Mitrapap road and it was my first Thai license. My GF called the DLT there and they said they need two originals. So either even at two offices in the same city there are different rules or it has to do with new license vs. renewal.

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The irony being that the IDP is not needed to drive here unless it is used to translate Driving License (from your home country) which does not have English Writing... 

Note: When Applying for a Motorcycle Licence (at DLT Sukhumvit 101) all that was required was

1) Valid UK Licence (no translation required)

2) Medical Certificate (300B from a local clinic)

3) Affirmation of Address

At the DLT in Bangkok the Clerk at the front desk told me I no longer required the Medical Certificate - correct or not, it was asked for when applying for the license. 

In your shoes... I'd go back to the DLT in Kalasin and ignore the clerk at the front desk... and try to apply without the translation - the guy at the front desk may simply be mistaken or have misunderstood something he has read or been told (it happens a lot).

And, as we know, the rules are applied with varying degrees of stringency and quite often a smile and someone who's decided they like us is all it takes to get things done 'more efficiently'... 

Thanks for your information Richard. Was your UK licence a paper or photo card one?

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I went to the DLT a bit outside of the city at Mitrapap road and it was my first Thai license. My GF called the DLT there and they said they need two originals. So either even at two offices in the same city there are different rules or it has to do with new license vs. renewal.

Regrettably both could be true, and even in the Mitrapap road office the boss can allow copies if he wants, he was very friendly when I got my first licenses, we did not call and had two originals at that time.

sorry about this -  going back to prove of residence 

My Wife's father's name is on the blue book  -  not my wife.   What is the best way to get a residence certificate as neither myself of my wife are on the Blue book.

When I recently opened a bank account I just got a letter from the Head man  - with copies of his ID card and the bank accepted it.

What would be required to get from the local Amphur to give me a letter of residency , based on the fact  that neither my wife or myself are registered on the Blue.

for Immigration reporting , as the local police and Amphur were not interested in my residency - I just go to immigration

and they accept copies of the Blue Book and my Wife's fathers thai id card 

I would prefer not to have to change the current set up with the Blue Book, as everything has run smoothly for a number of years -  plus I would prefer not to have to go through the aggro of changing the Blue Book into my Wife's name etc (laziness)    

On 10/29/2018 at 8:13 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

Many offices will accept a single original + copy when applying for both car and motorcycle license at th same time.

Got car and motorcycle at Chiang Mai with one residence and one medical certificate.

On 10/29/2018 at 1:21 PM, richard_smith237 said:

You need to go to your Amphur and ask them what you need. In my case, they said if we were married they could do it on the spot. Could also be the GF pushing, who knows. :whistling: I had to get the details page of my passport transliterated as well as my mother and fathers names. I also had to have the person in the blue house book present as well as another witness and the headman in the village. Should be free, but I was asked for 600 baht.

On 10/29/2018 at 11:07 AM, Laza 45 said:

I bought a new car which is about to be delivered..  So I decided to get a Thai driver's license.  I've lived here a long time and have the yellow book. I also have an Australian drivers license with 4 years until expiry.   I go to the licencing office here and the guy on the front desk there tells me that I must get a translation of the Aussie licence into Thai.. front and back.. and... I must go to the Australian Embassy in Bangkok to get the translation certified. I live in Kalasin so that is a bit of a long journey there and back.. and expensive.. I call the Embassy.. yes they can certify.. 1,650 Bt..one page.. no I can not send it in by post.  Get this.. they do not certify that it is an accurate translation.. only that it is a 'true copy'.. what value is that to anyone??  Anyway.. a friend has a friend who works in the licencing office here and they tell me it would be easier to get a Thai licence if I have an International Permit.  I found that I could order the IP online from my automobile association in Australia.. which I've done.. When it arrives I shall try again..  

Just take the test!

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Just take the test!

But look at the theory questions first. I went to one of these sites. First question 'Where should you not park within 15 metres of a) Traffic lights, b) A pedestrian crossing, c) A level crossing, d) A road junction. There was no option to put ALL OF THESE. The ''correct' answer...........a level crossing. For me 45 out of 50....no chance, I think too much.

50 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

But look at the theory questions first. I went to one of these sites. First question 'Where should you not park within 15 metres of a) Traffic lights, b) A pedestrian crossing, c) A level crossing, d) A road junction. There was no option to put ALL OF THESE. The ''correct' answer...........a level crossing. For me 45 out of 50....no chance, I think too much.

45 out of 50 is a pass bro'.

Right at the moment Mrs owl is attempting to obtain her TDL. It's quite a trek to the centre and right now we are on 7 trips. Hopefully the last one will be tomorrow. 

On the test itself,,,, well the questions are - as you pointed out - a little vague to say the least; especially on any parking ones. The actual driving is something of a joke. Two of the three points that have to be passed are on reversing, the third is driving along a straight white line. My wife took two goes at getting over a small hump, (not part of the test fortunately) bemoaning the pick-up on the way home. On Monday I watched an elderly lady take 17 minutes to drive around the test route that should take no more than 5; she passed. Dear, dear dear!!!

Fortunately I obtained my 11 year TDL in Non Han (Udon Thani Province) without having to do anything; apart from having my photo' taken and handing over my fee.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:18 AM, richard_smith237 said:

The irony being that the IDP is not needed to drive here unless it is used to translate Driving License (from your home country) which does not have English Writing... 

Note: When Applying for a Motorcycle Licence (at DLT Sukhumvit 101) all that was required was

1) Valid UK Licence (no translation required)

2) Medical Certificate (300B from a local clinic)

3) Affirmation of Address

At the DLT in Bangkok the Clerk at the front desk told me I no longer required the Medical Certificate - correct or not, it was asked for when applying for the license. 

In your shoes... I'd go back to the DLT in Kalasin and ignore the clerk at the front desk... and try to apply without the translation - the guy at the front desk may simply be mistaken or have misunderstood something he has read or been told (it happens a lot).

And, as we know, the rules are applied with varying degrees of stringency and quite often a smile and someone who's decided they like us is all it takes to get things done 'more efficiently'... 

first time going for a thai driving liccence you need a doctors certificate whe you have got one for 5yrs next one no !

17 minutes ago, drummer boy said:

first time going for a thai driving liccence you need a doctors certificate whe you have got one for 5yrs next one no !

This is simple not the case.

As i posted:

36 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Fortunately I obtained my 11 year TDL in Non Han (Udon Thani Province) without having to do anything; apart from having my photo' taken and handing over my fee.

Edited 33 minutes ago by owl sees all

If things have changed then that is news to me.

50 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

45 out of 50 is a pass bro'.

Right at the moment Mrs owl is attempting to obtain her TDL. It's quite a trek to the centre and right now we are on 7 trips. Hopefully the last one will be tomorrow. 

On the test itself,,,, well the questions are - as you pointed out - a little vague to say the least; especially on any parking ones. The actual driving is something of a joke. Two of the three points that have to be passed are on reversing, the third is driving along a straight white line. My wife took two goes at getting over a small hump, (not part of the test fortunately) bemoaning the pick-up on the way home. On Monday I watched an elderly lady take 17 minutes to drive around the test route that should take no more than 5; she passed. Dear, dear dear!!!

IThink you have that wrong only give you a 5yr licence with a uk licence !

31 minutes ago, drummer boy said:

Dear, dear dear. i have the 11 year licence. Would you like to see it?

Please accept that things are strange here. Thailand; land of mystery.

5 hours ago, johng said:

Yes please do post a photo of that 11 year licence.

6 hours ago, drummer boy said:

Sorry for the delay guys. Took my personal details out.

TDL.jpg

On 10/29/2018 at 12:11 PM, wgdanson said:

Doesn't your partner have a BLUE house book? I tried to get a yellow book in Bangrakam as advised by local Imm Office only to be told that I need to be married, Ubon Joe says I do not, but I cannot change them, even though I told them I was NOT divorced in UK. Certificate of Residence is next step.

Ubon Joe is right. I never married and I have one.

It may depend on the province you are in and what rules are, they also not only vary province to province, but district to district and office to office!

18 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Sorry for the delay guys. Took my personal details out.

TDL.jpg

Was this an error on their part or did they used to do 10-year licenses?

I am up next year for the renewal of a five year but I am told the life driving license what they used to give to longer exists and I will get another 5 years, is that correct?

Archived