Getting a Drivers License - My Expeience

statman78

I arrived in Thailand in September and will eventually stay based on retirement.  Since I must have a death wish I decided to try to get a drivers license.  My wife, who is Thai, and I stopped to renew the registration for our motor scooter so we decided to see how I could get a drivers license.  Since I have a valid license from the US (Wisconsin) valid for a car and a motorcycle I needed four documents.  

1. My US drivers license 

2. Passport

3. Resident Certificate or Work Permit

4. Medical Certificate

The first two items are easy. My wife took me to a place in Chiang Rai to get the medical certificate. They took my blood pressure and asked me if I was allergic to any medication. That was it.  Ten minutes and 160 baht later I was on my way. It was only 80 baht per certificate but I needed 2, one for a car license and one for a motorcycle license. That afternoon we headed up to the immigration office at Mae Sai because I am in the process of changing my tourist visa into a non-imm O visa. We asked about the resident certificate and 600 baht later we had 2 copies of a residence letter.  On Nov 7 I head back there to get my non-imm O visa.  Two days later went back to the office and Chiang Rai, had a test for color blindness and peripheral vision, watched a 1 hour video (in English), paid 310 baht, had my picture taken and walked out with my temporary licenses for driving a car and a motorcycle. They are good for 2 years.

Overall a very easy experience. Easier than I thought

EF2C8A60-BB00-4D19-A1A5-CAF733453EBC.jpeg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Many offices will accept a single original + copy when applying for both car and motorcycle license at th same time. 

But to know how ones local DLT accepts it one has to ask them

For example in Udon Thani: Original + copy is ok for the medical certificate, but they want two original certificates of residence

When did they start issuing 2 year license and have they discontinued the 1 year temp?

Also a note, I renewed my 5 yr license, motorbike and car, 2 days ago. Medical certificate is not needed and no one asked me for one, nor did I give them a residence cert from Imm. They happily accepted copies of my Yellow Book. The wording is deceptive in Thai and English with the DLT site, so the wife called head office in Bangkok and asked. Answer was once you have a 5 yr license no more medical certificates are required upon renewals. 

I bought a new car which is about to be delivered..  So I decided to get a Thai driver's license.  I've lived here a long time and have the yellow book. I also have an Australian drivers license with 4 years until expiry.   I go to the licencing office here and the guy on the front desk there tells me that I must get a translation of the Aussie licence into Thai.. front and back.. and... I must go to the Australian Embassy in Bangkok to get the translation certified. I live in Kalasin so that is a bit of a long journey there and back.. and expensive.. I call the Embassy.. yes they can certify.. 1,650 Bt..one page.. no I can not send it in by post.  Get this.. they do not certify that it is an accurate translation.. only that it is a 'true copy'.. what value is that to anyone??  Anyway.. a friend has a friend who works in the licencing office here and they tell me it would be easier to get a Thai licence if I have an International Permit.  I found that I could order the IP online from my automobile association in Australia.. which I've done.. When it arrives I shall try again..  

5 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

I bought a new car which is about to be delivered..  So I decided to get a Thai driver's license.  I've lived here a long time and have the yellow book. I also have an Australian drivers license with 4 years until expiry.   I go to the licencing office here and the guy on the front desk there tells me that I must get a translation of the Aussie licence into Thai.. front and back.. and... I must go to the Australian Embassy in Bangkok to get the translation certified. I live in Kalasin so that is a bit of a long journey there and back.. and expensive.. I call the Embassy.. yes they can certify.. 1,650 Bt..one page.. no I can not send it in by post.  Get this.. they do not certify that it is an accurate translation.. only that it is a 'true copy'.. what value is that to anyone??  Anyway.. a friend has a friend who works in the licencing office here and they tell me it would be easier to get a Thai licence if I have an International Permit.  I found that I could order the IP online from my automobile association in Australia.. which I've done.. When it arrives I shall try again..  

The irony being that the IDP is not needed to drive here unless it is used to translate Driving License (from your home country) which does not have English Writing... 

Note: When Applying for a Motorcycle Licence (at DLT Sukhumvit 101) all that was required was

1) Valid UK Licence (no translation required)

2) Medical Certificate (300B from a local clinic)

3) Affirmation of Address

At the DLT in Bangkok the Clerk at the front desk told me I no longer required the Medical Certificate - correct or not, it was asked for when applying for the license. 

In your shoes... I'd go back to the DLT in Kalasin and ignore the clerk at the front desk... and try to apply without the translation - the guy at the front desk may simply be mistaken or have misunderstood something he has read or been told (it happens a lot).

And, as we know, the rules are applied with varying degrees of stringency and quite often a smile and someone who's decided they like us is all it takes to get things done 'more efficiently'... 

I need to renew my 5yr driving licence (car) here in Bkk and am told i need a Cert of Residence, previously i supplied a rental agreement with a landlord, however we have since moved address. My partner has a mortgage on the house we live in so consequently all correspondence, utility bills etc are in her name, nothing in mine. In the absence of anything "official" in my name my embassy says my partner must supply copies of her own house book, translated into english. Apart from the cost, this seems to be an over the top requirement as its to be used for just a driving licence renewal application? Is there any way to bypass the embassy requirement and use some other document to satisfy the DL dept. Just for info, a long time ago my partner registered me with Immigration as living at this address, but they will not give me a proof of residence letter. I am on a Non O visa (state pension)

Thanks in advance of any replies. 

10 minutes ago, Figglymiggly said:

I need to renew my 5yr driving licence (car) here in Bkk and am told i need a Cert of Residence, previously i supplied a rental agreement with a landlord, however we have since moved address. My partner has a mortgage on the house we live in so consequently all correspondence, utility bills etc are in her name, nothing in mine. In the absence of anything "official" in my name my embassy says my partner must supply copies of her own house book, translated into english. Apart from the cost, this seems to be an over the top requirement as its to be used for just a driving licence renewal application? Is there any way to bypass the embassy requirement and use some other document to satisfy the DL dept. Just for info, a long time ago my partner registered me with Immigration as living at this address, but they will not give me a proof of residence letter. I am on a Non O visa (state pension)

Thanks in advance of any replies. 

Your partner 'should' be able to have you added to the house book (dark blue if a Condo / Yellow if a house).

If you can do this, you should be able to avoid the Affirmation of Residence letter from your embassy all together and just submit the house book as proof of address at the DLT.

I think the information you have on the Letter of residence from Immigration is not correct - You may have been told that you cannot get this letter as you had not yet carried out a 90 day report. 

As odd as it seem, if you have carried out a 90 day report (have not left the country in the past 90 days), you should be able to obtain a Letter of Residence from Immigration (i.e. Chaengwattana - if you are in BKK, you don't mention where you are).

Thank you for taking the time to reply richard_smith237. Adding me to my partners yellow house book is an idea, though im not sure what other implications there may be of that action, assuming she went along with the suggestion. Yes you are correct in saying that Immigration at Chaengwattana refused on the basis of not doing a 90 day report. In my case i must leave the country every 90 days (which is not a bother) so they will not supply the letter, hence their suggestion of using the Embassy to obtain the letter. There may not be any alternative to complying with the Embassy's requirement...?? Thanks again for taking the time. 

1 hour ago, featography said:

Answer was once you have a 5 yr license no more medical certificates are required upon renewals.

So make sure you catch you gonorrhea, syphyillis, elephantitis, tubercolosis and go blind just after you get your first licence.

2 minutes ago, Figglymiggly said:

Adding me to my partners yellow house book is an idea

Doesn't your partner have a BLUE house book? I tried to get a yellow book in Bangrakam as advised by local Imm Office only to be told that I need to be married, Ubon Joe says I do not, but I cannot change them, even though I told them I was NOT divorced in UK. Certificate of Residence is next step.

7 minutes ago, Figglymiggly said:

There may not be any alternative to complying with the Embassy's requirement

Make a trip to any other province than BKK, submit a TM30 for your address there (a friend's place, hotel, whatever), rerquest a certificate of residence and get your driving license there instead of in BKK. Depending on the circumstances this is even easier and faster than doing it in BKK.

56 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The irony being that the IDP is not needed to drive here unless it is used to translate Driving License (from your home country) which does not have English Writing... 

The Thai law is not 100% clear about this. If you interpret the law so that an IDP is not needed, then it's not needed for any country which signed the treaty, doesn't have to do with it being in english or not.

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your partner 'should' be able to have you added to the house book (dark blue if a Condo / Yellow if a house).

If you can do this, you should be able to avoid the Affirmation of Residence letter from your embassy all together and just submit the house book as proof of address at the DLT.

I think the information you have on the Letter of residence from Immigration is not correct - You may have been told that you cannot get this letter as you had not yet carried out a 90 day report. 

As odd as it seem, if you have carried out a 90 day report (have not left the country in the past 90 days), you should be able to obtain a Letter of Residence from Immigration (i.e. Chaengwattana - if you are in BKK, you don't mention where you are).

Is it not a BLUE housebook for a Thai, YELLOW for a falang.

11 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Is it not a BLUE housebook for a Thai, YELLOW for a falang.

It could be that... My Wife and Son were in the Dark Blue book for our Condo, I was never added but made the assumption that it was Blue for Condo, Yellow for House...  It could also just be Yellow for Foreigner - I'm not sure but someone will be along to confirm this one way or another. 

Either way - with the Ops Wife owning a Mortgage, she will have a 'house book' (of one color of the other), it shouldn't be a difficult process for the Ops wife to have the Op's name added to this as proof of residence. 

I recently renewed my 2 Yr to a 5 Yr full license and besides the pherical vision, color blindness tests and viewing an hr of videos insisted that I had to sit the 50 question computer test.. They said it was also compulsory for Thais too. That was at Nonthaburi Land Transport office.. Luckily I just scraped in with 90% pass, 45 correct answers.. One extra incorrect and would have been a BIG fail.. 

1 hour ago, Laza 45 said:

And doesn't an International Driving Permit translate a foreign Driving Licence into ENGLISH.

13 minutes ago, jackdd said:
20 minutes ago, Figglymiggly said:

There may not be any alternative to complying with the Embassy's requirement

Make a trip to any other province than BKK, submit a TM30 for your address there (a friend's place, hotel, whatever), rerquest a certificate of residence and get your driving license there instead of in BKK. Depending on the circumstances this is even easier and faster than doing it in BKK.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Thai law is not 100% clear about this. If you interpret the law so that an IDP is not needed, then it's not needed for any country which signed the treaty, doesn't have to do with it being in english or not.

"The Thai Law is not 100% clear about this" - Agreed, Thai law is rarely crystal clear on anything which is why we, on these forums, end up in such a range of debates using our own anecdotal experience as evident of what is and isn't legal... 

Personally, no IDP was required when applying for a Thai License, the UK copy was sufficient. 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It could be that... My Wife and Son were in the Dark Blue book for our Condo, I was never added but made the assumption that it was Blue for Condo, Yellow for House...  It could also just be Yellow for Foreigner - I'm not sure but someone will be along to confirm this one way or another. 

Either way - with the Ops Wife owning a Mortgage, she will have a 'house book' (of one color of the other), it shouldn't be a difficult process for the Ops wife to have the Op's name added to this as proof of residence. 

A foreigner CANNOT be in a blue book.

Just now, wgdanson said:
3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK, it seems you are quite definite on this and know something about it... ... Can the Op get himself added to a house book (Yellow then I guess) ?

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK, it seems you are quite definite on this and know something about it... ... Can the Op get himself added to a house book (Yellow then I guess) ?

As I posted earlier, my local Amphur said that I could not get a yellow book / pink ID card if I am not married to my GF of 10 years, even though I told them I was not divorced in UK. However other guys I know got them in no time at all, no problems. As usual, it varies where you are. Good luck.    Just seen CharlieH's post.

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

"The Thai Law is not 100% clear about this" - Agreed, Thai law is rarely crystal clear on anything which is why we, on these forums, end up in such a range of debates using our own anecdotal experience as evident of what is and isn't legal... 

Personally, no IDP was required when applying for a Thai License, the UK copy was sufficient. 

It was my experience that n IDP was not needed.  My valid US drivers license was all i needed 

14 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

This is not correct, if a foreigner has permanent residency he can be listed as resident in a blue house book. Even without permanent residency a foreigner can be named as house master in a blue house book, even though this doesn't help him to confirm his address, because for this he would have to be listed as resident

6 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

A foreigner can get his own Yellow House registration book from the local Amphur. Provided he meets their requirements ( as they do vary from place to place as is normal in Thailand)

A foreigner can not get his "own" yellow house book, because this book belongs to the house and not to a person. But the owner of a house can request a yellow house book for his house to which then foreigners can be added.

Its like all the Motor registries here must make their own rules.

I used my AU licence without a international permit.  All I had to print is what our DL codes meant.

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/licence/driver/licence-classes.html

Spend a few days in Pattaya its alot easier here and have a bit of a holiday ????

I got mine from Kalasin about 6 months ago. Absolutely painless with Yellow Book, IDP, medical certificate and OA visa. Just had to do the colour blind test, nothing else.

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This is not correct, if a foreigner has permanent residency he can be listed as resident in a blue house book. Even without permanent residency a foreigner can be named as house master in a blue house book, even though this doesn't help him to confirm his address, because for this he would have to be listed as resident

A foreigner can not get his "own" yellow house book, because this book belongs to the house and not to a person. But the owner of a house can request a yellow house book for his house to which then foreigners can be added.

As you said CharlieH, it varies from place to place, and person to person. Ah well TIT.

Archived