Getting a Drivers License - My Expeience

statman78

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Was this an error on their part or did they used to do 10-year licenses?

I am up next year for the renewal of a five year but I am told the life driving license what they used to give to longer exists and I will get another 5 years, is that correct?

To be honest; I don't know. I went for the test; had my pic taken; handed over 600 Baht and got the TDL. At the time - and until recently - I thought all farang had 11 year TDLs. This note from the Doc' and yellow book stuff is new to me.

I'm not knowledgeable on this at all. Just saying what TDL I got. I'm quite surprised that TVForum posters are themselves surprised.

My wife is going through the process at the moment. Much harder for the Thais I reckon.

46 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Sorry for the delay guys. Took my personal details out.

TDL.jpg

Maybe a computer error, which will have been rectified when they upgraded from Vista to W8........earlier this year.    lol 

On 10/29/2018 at 6:36 PM, oporhatch said:

sorry about this -  going back to prove of residence 

My Wife's father's name is on the blue book  -  not my wife.   What is the best way to get a residence certificate as neither myself of my wife are on the Blue book.

When I recently opened a bank account I just got a letter from the Head man  - with copies of his ID card and the bank accepted it.

What would be required to get from the local Amphur to give me a letter of residency , based on the fact  that neither my wife or myself are registered on the Blue.

for Immigration reporting , as the local police and Amphur were not interested in my residency - I just go to immigration

and they accept copies of the Blue Book and my Wife's fathers thai id card 

I would prefer not to have to change the current set up with the Blue Book, as everything has run smoothly for a number of years -  plus I would prefer not to have to go through the aggro of changing the Blue Book into my Wife's name etc (laziness)    

You get Certificate of Residence from Immigration. Yellow book from Amphur. In my case, Immigration say C of R is good for DL renewal, DL Office say Yellow book is needed, but must be married to get one. So I must be married to re-new my Thai DL in Phitsanulok.

Sorry for the delay guys. Took my personal details out.

Is this your first Thai license ? Because normally (back then ) you got a 1 year
(now 2 year) "temporary" licence first then after that expired had to go back and get the longer "not temporary" license for 5 years , also after you get the 5 years...next 5 years says issue date from beginning of first 5 year licence.
So in my case second 5 year license says
issue date 11 may 2013
expiry date 2* August 2024

1 minute ago, johng said:

Is this your first Thai license ? Because normally (back then ) you got a 1 year
(now 2 year) "temporary" licence first then after that expired had to go back and get the longer "not temporary" license for 5 years , also after you get the 5 years...next 5 years says issue date from beginning of first 5 year licence.
So in my case second 5 year license says
issue date 11 may 2013
expiry date 2* August 2024

Yes it was my first. I've been here in Thailand for 10 years or so. The first year I drove on my European licence. Until I was pulled over driving in Nong Khai. 500 Baht fine! Got the licence at Non Han a couple of days later. Maybe they added the 1 year temp' to the 10  year proper. Could be I guess.

11 minutes ago, johng said:

Ok of it is your first and only licence then I think they made a
boo-boo (mistake)

That could be. But I thought nothing of it until just a year or so ago when the TDL question arose in a bar somewhere and the guys were taken aback when I told them I had 11 years. Even more so when i showed them the licence. It was news to me also that they didn't have the same.

Must be others out there who have an 11 year TDL.

Archived