Australian baby facing amputation after contracting meningococcal in Thailand

webfact

23 hours ago, sweatalot said:

"Although the family have travel insurance, which will cover the medivac to Bangkok, it was not yet clear if they will have to pay for the costly journey to Australia."

I think this post is wrong. I guess the insurance would  take the girl to Australia if she cannot be treated in Bangkok but their advising doctors don't see a need, because appropriate treatment is available in Bangkok.

The insurance conditions are likely to cover air transportation AS FAR AS MEDICALLY NECESSARY, and to the next appropriate location, not only to Bangkok.

Thailand has very professional hospitals in Bangkok. I don't see a need to take her to Australia. What can  be done in Australia can be done in Bangkok. I guess that is the viewpoint of the health insurance doctors as well.

Looks like they offered the transfer to Bangkok but the family seems to have  insisted on Australia.

They shouldn't make a mistake.  If more specialized treatment is necessary and can be done in Bangkok - they shouldn't hesitate. They might regret waiting to long.

I understand it is a terrible situation and wish the girl and her parents the very best - but they shouldn't insist on taking her to Australia now. Might even be dangerous, considering the long flight.

Better check with insurance how to take her to Bangkok. Normally travel insurances have supervising doctors who check the need for transportation. And they will suggest to take her to Bangkok if there is  need.

I believe the travel insurance would take her to Australia when they learn she cannot be treated in Thailand. 

Speed is most important here. Failure to amputate in time will cost the child her life. Amputations are not complex surgery....the after care is what is critical to a successful amputation.

I think it was about 1947 when I was on an outing with my grandmother in San Francisco and happened to look down from Telegraph Hill and see a big white ocean liner taking on passengers at Pier 35. My grandmother could see that I was curious about the ship so she told me that it was the Lurline and that it was going out to the Hawaiian Islands.  I immediately grabbed my grandmother's hand and tried to drag her to the ship while begging her to take me to Hawaii on it.

Bottom-line; I would have kissed a mule's A** to have been able to travel all over the world when I was a kid.

Being of an age when you could appreciate it .

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

19 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Seem to have lots of spare time on your hands to go on so many trips and holidays. Do you have you own business or something?.  Lucky you.

But, taking young babies and screaming toddlers on long flights is selfish.... you might enjoy it, but the other people around you won't.  Glad you baby was quite... you and your wife are obviously very good parents.  Sadly, for the majority of good parents, it only takes one bad family to ruin it for everyone. 

Have you never had to sit next to badly behaving noisy children and screaming babies on any trip in your life?  I don't mind an hour or so of it, but on a 10 plus hours flight its not acceptable. 

I see now some airlines are banning babies and children for business and first class.  That's at least a step in the right direction.  

Rotational work provides much free time... its one of the huge benefits offsetting the awfulness of being away the other half of the time. 

I agree with much of what you write which it seems is written out of healthy balance and not some 'grump old man' bitterness which some of the posts portray. 

It does indeed take just one set of poor parents to make life a misery for those around them. Fortunately I see so many great parents on flights doing an excellent job of keeping their child occupied and happy - its part of the parenting responsibility. 

My Wife and I have often discussed how lucky we are that our son is quite chilled out and travels extremely well. We have discussed that if our son were a pain to others or ourselves when traveling we'd limit it to necessity, but fortunately thats not the case. We are often complimented on his behavior on a the flight by those around us who really don't need to say anything but choose to anyway. 

This has kind of side tracked the thread and I apologies for this, but I wanted to respond to a couple of the 'children should not travel' comments.

Back on Topic: I still wonder where and how this poor child contracted the bacteria - this is one of the great frighteners for me. 

My son just had Hand, Foot & Mouth disease and was off School / Kindergarten for a week... but it is the serious stuff such as Meningitis & Meningococcal which really throws the fear into me... Dengue also concerns me greatly. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

On the topic of children on long haul flights....I would willingly pay a surcharge to fly on a an airline that banned kids under 12 from long haul flights. Yes the parents are to blame letting their kids run riot up and down the aisle, kicking the backs of seats, squirming, not wearing seat belts and the like.

I totally agree...  A few golden rules from the very offset take care of this stuff.

No standing on seats (he can't do it at home, he can't do it on a plane). 

No running around at a restaurant (he can't do it after dinner etc he can't do it on a plane)

There is lots of 'life' rules which when applied with balance can support the general positive nature and behavior of children which then makes life with them extremely easy. 

Applying some basic (and not overbearing) rules with consistence... means a child knows what expected of their behavior in public and behaves accordingly. 

The unfortunate thing is - not all children are brought up with such consideration towards others. 

That said, there are so many people out there without any consideration towards others its not just children and families who should be impacted.... There are so many antisocial travelers out there I would really like to see 'black lists'... Banning on flight drunks, smokers (yes 2 flights in the past 2 years have had smokers in the toilets), seat kickers (adults do it too), noisy talkers.... 

AND... Snorers - WOW... some guys snore so loud (in business class...) they should be banned for disrupting others !!!!... 

But... where do you draw the line ?

3 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

I googled it but nowhere it is stated only babies can transfer this.

"Paint me the scenario where a baby on a plane is a safety hazard" - YOUR WORDS, not mine. 

I pointed you to airborne disease transmission information. 

YOU didn't ask if meningococcal was carried by adults, babies, or both, or how it was transmitted.

YOU only asked how a baby can be a safety hazard on a plane.

IF this baby contracted a deadly airborne disease, and YOU were on the same flight, I doubt you would be having "a good laugh." 

Edited by NamKangMan

10 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

"Paint me the scenario where a baby on a plane is a safety hazard" - YOUR WORDS, not mine. 

I pointed you to airborne disease transmission information. 

YOU didn't ask if meningococcal was carried by adults, babies, or both, or how it was transmitted.

YOU only asked how a baby can be a safety hazard on a plane.

IF this baby contracted a deadly airborne disease, and YOU were on the same flight, I doubt you would be having "a good laugh." 

Well, i learned something today...

And that is to better just post on TF and never read back the reactions people make to it as it is a waste of time.