Money in the bank 3 months or 90 days?

Now that the us embassy intends to stop issuing income affidavits i would like to seed 400,000 for 3 months. My renewal is february 9 2019 so if i deposit the funds Nov 9th will that be sufficient? 

fwiw i understand that i can still get a income letter but i have a fear that immigration may say its more than 30 days old and not valid.

You may be confusing income letters with the bank letters confirming deposits and seasoning.

Income letters are valid for six months. Bank letters and statements for 400K and 800K are only valid for a week. That's my experience with Chiang Mai Immigration.

AFAIK, the seasoning is 3 calendar months. 90 days is the reporting requirement to say you are in the same abode.

No wonder we falangs get confused.

13 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

My understanding is renewals are 3 months 

2 Months for Marriage extensions.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year. 

Edited by Phuket Man
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Phuket Man said:

2 Months for Marriage extensions.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year. 

1st application is 2 months, after that it is 3 months I believe.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

For retirement the  first extension is 2 months (to allow people time to arrive in country and open bank account etc) after that it is 3 months. The police order says months, no reference to days.

The question is about Marriage Extension.

Please do not confuse the issue.

9 hours ago, thequietman said:

1st application is 2 months, after that it is 3 months I believe.

He quoted clause 2.18 of the police order that clearly states it is 2 months for every extension. Absolutely no mention of 3 months

9 hours ago, Phuket Man said:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He quoted clause 2.18 of the police order that clearly states it is 2 months for every extension. Absolutely no mention of 3 months

Unfortunately the IO in Uttaradit insists on 3 months. Told him it was wrong but you guessed his response, right?

'New rules, new rules.'  Hick Dead!

Edited by thequietman
  • Like 2

I listened to a video on TV the other day between the programme presenter and the Vice Consul of the British Embassy.  She said that foreigners married to a Thai need only to prove an income in to their Thai Bank of 40,000 baht per month.  The presenter said that this was not evident on any of the websites and in fact many of the Immigration Offices did not know about this and claimed it was not true, despite the Vice-Consul quoting the relevant paragraph in the Thai Law.  She said if anyone has a probem that they should report it to her and she would anyway contact the Immgration HQ and ask them to ensure that all their Immigration Offices are aware of this rule.  MIght be worth checking with your local Immigration if they have received this reminder of the law from their HQ in Bangkok?  If not, contact the British Embassy Consul Services.  The more who do it, the more likely Immigration will feel obliged to make sure their offices are in compliance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thequietman said:

Unfortunately the IO in Uttaradit insists on 3 months. Told him it was wrong but you guessed his response, right?

'New rules, new rules.'  Hick Dead!

I make sure it's 3 months for Rayong as well.

42 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

She said if anyone has a probem that they should report it to her and she would anyway contact the Immgration HQ and ask them to ensure that all their Immigration Offices are aware of this rule.

So are we assuming that by "if anyone" she's thrown the metaphorical door open to all nationalities or are we just taking it for granted that "anyone" of significance is British? The O/P actually referenced the US embassy.

42 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

The presenter said that this was not evident on any of the websites

There are loads of websites, some with very official sounding names, that are clearly just commercial sites that cobble together incorrect information or information that is seriously out of date. If it's a government website that should be evident in the link ... such as:

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/

... although even then the information is not always up to date or translated into English coherently.

Edited by Suradit69

I had to cfm some details so i visited the lady who handles marriage visa extensions in jomtien this afternoon. She was clear that 2 months deposit would be sufficient. She was also clear that 3 months would be the limit on a pension letter from my embassy. Now this may change but I dont need to worry. She said i can apply 30 days in advance so a letter issued Nov 9 would be 2 months old Jan 9th a month before my renewal date. 

4 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

I had to cfm some details so i visited the lady who handles marriage visa extensions in jomtien this afternoon. She was clear that 2 months deposit would be sufficient. She was also clear that 3 months would be the limit on a pension letter from my embassy. Now this may change but I dont need to worry. She said i can apply 30 days in advance so a letter issued Nov 9 would be 2 months old Jan 9th a month before my renewal date. 

Does the lady who handles marriage visa extensions work for Thai Immigration or an agency?

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Does the lady who handles marriage visa extensions work for Thai Immigration or an agency?

She works for the thai government at jomtien immigration on soi 5. Her desk is all the way in the back and center. 

Edited by yankee99

29 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

But are you going the Bht 400,000 in the bank route, in which case it must be there for 2 or 3 months, 1st time or renewal, or are you talking about an Income Letter from the Embassy which you should tell them that your AVERAGE income is over Bht 40,000 per month, and they should agree up to 12th December. That letter is then acceptable by Immigration for up to six months. See, I never mentioned retirement to avoid confusion.

5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

But are you going the Bht 400,000 in the bank route, in which case it must be there for 2 or 3 months, 1st time or renewal,

The 400k baht only has to be in the bank for 2 months. Go back and look for my post where I quoted the police order about it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The 400k baht only has to be in the bank for 2 months. Go back and look for my post where I quoted the police order about it.

Ooops, mixing my Marriage and Retirement up again, sorry.