Drivers association to launch new taxi service after fare hike refused

webfact

Drivers association to launch new taxi service after fare hike refused

By The Nation

t3-650x336.jpg

FILE photo

A new taxi service offering unlimited rides for a monthly fee of Bt10,200 is set for launch early next year in Bangkok and surrounding provinces.

A total of 2,000 professional taxi drivers association members will make up the My Taxi Co fleet, which customers could hail via a smartphone app, association president Worapol Kaemkhunthod said on Wednesday.

Cabbies would no longer have to depend on the Department of Land Transport (DLT)'s fare hikes since they wouldn't be using the meter, he said. Taxis turning away passengers would no longer be an issue, he added. And each subscriber would also get a free bonus of six bottles of juice and food supplement products.

The move was made after the association's call for a fare hike was turned down. The DLT early last month agreed to propose to the Transport Ministry a hike worth 8 per cent of the overall fare for 12,893 cabs participating in the Taxi OK project. Taxi OK cabs are equipped with GPS tracking, snap-shot cameras, an emergency button and other features designed to offer greater passenger safety.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30357578

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-31

I think this is doomed to fail.

In theory you could hire the car for a whole day and drive around Bangkok and suburbs.

It is cheaper than buying a car.

I am sure there will be some restrictions and it won't be "unlimited".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Notagain said:

Yeah will work great until all available taxis are busy. Sorry can not no taxi. I also learned here quickly once the money is handed over you aint getting it back.

There will be taxis enough to drive you around, from 10am till 3pm and from 9pm till 4am.

So forget using this service to commute from/to work or school.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

And each subscriber would also get a free bonus of six bottles of juice and food supplement products.

Wow! How could anyone resist such an offer! It's even better than 7/11 stamps!

Ps. Sarcasm. No reply required!

Pps. Is that per journey or per walletectomy?

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, smedly said:

so they are starting their own Grab Service without the pre booking fair (fare) calculation lol

how stupid is that 

I think they need to think again 

Exactly. They should just abandon the DLT and all become Grab. That'll wake the DLT up.

1 hour ago, timendres said:

Exactly. They should just abandon the DLT and all become Grab. That'll wake the DLT up.

nope - you are missing the point entirely, they don't want a service like Grab because it severely limits their ability to rip people off, you book a taxi from A-B through GRAB or UBER and it is all done and dusted - no need for meters

That is why they are fighting on the streets - they want the ability to RIP off customers to continue, they don't like fixed prearranged bookings and prices, what they don't realise is - it is going to happen no matter what

This is a Neanderthal attempt to invent something completely different and it won't work.

The taxi mafia is finished in Thailand, those that were running the RIP off services need to quit while they are ahead, their days are numbered for the good of customers and service prividers 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, smedly said:

nope - you are missing the point entirely, they don't want a service like Grab because it severely limits their ability to rip people off, you book a taxi from A-B through GRAB or UBER and it is all done and dusted - no need for meters

That is why they are fighting on the streets - they want the ability to RIP off customers to continue, they don't like fixed prearranged bookings and prices, what they don't realise is - it is going to happen no matter what

This is a Neanderthal attempt to invent something completely different and it won't work.

The taxi mafia is finished in Thailand, those that were running the RIP off services need to quit while they are ahead, their days are numbered for the good of customers and service prividers 

Not sure how I can miss my own point.

Many taxi drivers in BKK use Grab already. There is no mafia involved, just drivers renting cars and trying to make more than their cost. The smart ones realize they can use Grab and not be constrained by the rates set by the DLT. If they all started using Grab, the DLT becomes somewhat irrelevant. Of course, the greedy individuals trying to quote me ripoff prices off-meter won't be interested, but Grab will reduce their opportunities to nothing and they will disappear.

Agree 100% that this monthly unlimited ride concept is absurd.