Help Me Design My Motorcycle Trip.

NCC1701A

I have put 30,000 kilometers on a Kawasaki Versys 650 here in Thailand and I am about to go on another month long trip around November 10.

Anyone got any suggestions on where to go? Anything is OK as long as it is north of Hua Hin and not Pattaya or Bangkok.

Bike weeks, festivals, dancing girls, scenic routes.  

I will be going North as far as the border above Chiang Rai, then maybe over to Nong Khai, down to Surin.     

I am a single straight male so any phone numbers or GPS coordinates are welcomed. :clap2:

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

You got Loy Kratong coming up lots of fire works here in CM. Lots of roads to ride, you never know what your going to come across. Years ago riding out of Khoen Khean toward surin came across a small town having a parade some of the floats involved a horse statue with a very large erection. Never did find out what it was all about.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, moe666 said:

a horse statue with a very large erection. Never did find out what it was all about. 

Probably best you did not. :shock1:

Ok thanks for that. I will see where I am on that date towards the end of the trip. 

8 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Route 12 is a fantastic ride over the Mountains, new road most of the way, also this......makes a great pit stop. Khao Kor is a nice area, drop in to Pinot Latte resort off route 12 for spectacular views and great snacks/coffee

images.jpeg.4704b1f787bcd731eb47e6290c8813a6.jpeg

ok this looks good. i am loading everyone suggestions into google maps and my spread sheet. thank you.

• Like 1

I'll second in Khao Kor. It's just like Pattaya but at a higher elevation and no hookers or bars. But loads of expensive tacky resorts. It's fun.

You can either stay in Petchabun town with its restaurants and cheap hotels ( 350 will get you a decent room with all mod cons ) and a wee bit of nightlife ...... or just for the hell of it and to say you've done it, stay in a wooden knockdown shed in Khao Kor , 45 minutes away for a paltry 1200 baht up. No nightlife except driving around looking for it then getting pissed up in your wooden shed. 

Then, if you really want to get serious kudos with just about everyone go to Phu Tab Berk, a spectacular slum on top of a high mountain where the orgasmic experience is to take selfies with clouds in the background. You won't be lonely. There will be thousands of people to share this intimate experience with you. If you are lucky the Bandidos biker gang will be there too. They went last year apparently but I got that secondhand from a friend who was there at the time and gave me the factual lowdown. His gf threatened to shut up shop if he didn't take her there.

So there you have it. My helpful advice. Sorry if it seems negative but it's as well to know where not to go as it is where to go.

• Thanks 1

Udon Bike "Week" is actually a proper 3 dayer this year instead of a normal bike week Saturday Night. Daily rides out from the city to local interesting places, then back to the city for your night time "entertainment". I believe the w/end of the 16-17-18th.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Denim said:

I'll second in Khao Kor. It's just like Pattaya but at a higher elevation and no hookers or bars. But loads of expensive tacky resorts. It's fun.

You can either stay in Petchabun town with its restaurants and cheap hotels ( 350 will get you a decent room with all mod cons ) and a wee bit of nightlife ...... or just for the hell of it and to say you've done it, stay in a wooden knockdown shed in Khao Kor , 45 minutes away for a paltry 1200 baht up. No nightlife except driving around looking for it then getting pissed up in your wooden shed. 

Then, if you really want to get serious kudos with just about everyone go to Phu Tab Berk, a spectacular slum on top of a high mountain where the orgasmic experience is to take selfies with clouds in the background. You won't be lonely. There will be thousands of people to share this intimate experience with you. If you are lucky the Bandidos biker gang will be there too. They went last year apparently but I got that secondhand from a friend who was there at the time and gave me the factual lowdown. His gf threatened to shut up shop if he didn't take her there.

So there you have it. My helpful advice. Sorry if it seems negative but it's as well to know where not to go as it is where to go.

Petchabun nightlife, where is that? I ride there sometimes, but never found any at all.

Route 12 is a fantastic ride over the Mountains from Phitsanoluk, new road most of the way, also this......makes a great pit stop. Khao Kor is a nice area, drop in to Pinot Latte resort off route 12 for spectacular views and great snacks/coffee

images.jpeg.4704b1f787bcd731eb47e6290c8813a6.jpeg.93398219ce39f8009a1a420190316f13.jpeg
see also :
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303918-d1184143-Reviews-Phitsanulok_Lom_Sak_Route_Highway_No_12-Phitsanulok_Phitsanulok_Province.html

This can be tricky to find.

Avoid at weekends at all costs pretty much everything at kho Kor and phu terb Bhuk from now till Feb....

Blue sky is another nice spot, good food but a little pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Denim said:

Well, in the Burapa hotel there is a massage parlour and a nightclub where you might manage to pick up a bit of fluff if you have not yet reached Zimmerman age. Not stayed there for a while though so might have changed. 

To the south of the hotel there is a sort of canal / pond thing with restaurants and pubs both sides.

Possible to score here but very hit and miss.

Another trick is to wear a t shirt with Thai writing on it saying:

" I am free tonight and looking for female company "

This state's the fact clearly as you approach as many unattached ladies as necessary before you hit pay dirt.

Another trick is to wear a t shirt with Thai writing on it saying:

" I am free tonight and looking for female company "

Think i will do things my way ????

Hard to say - a lot depends on what you are "into", where you are starting from (or want to end up), how far you can go in a day (etc etc).

I do a lot of trips to visit old (Khmer era) temple sites around the country. Some old Buddhist sites as well (like in Kaemphang Phet). Sometimes I will fit that in with a concurrent trip to a bike week event.

For example, in early December I will be going to Chiang Mai again and will make a stop in Lop Buri (Prang Sam Yod temple and all the monkeys) and Kamphaeng Phet (Historical park) on the way up and then on the way back maybe hit a couple of Historical Parks on the way back.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamphaeng_Phet_Historical_Park
https://www.renown-travel.com/khmertemples/phra-prang-sam-yot.html

Of course there should be Loy Krathong festivals all over the country in the mid-November period. Chiang Mai has quite the festival (so I've heard).
https://www.chiangmaitraveller.com/2018-loy-krathong-yee-peng-lantern-festivals-chiang-mai-thailand/

In the Chiang Rai region you can also do the Mae Hong Son loop. Should be fun on a smaller bike like yours. 600 some odd kms and only 1,860+ curves ! 

https://wikitravel.org/en/Mae_Hong_Son_Loop

The Chiang Mai bike week is in early December and is now called "Saints of Soul" and is a combination bike/car/music festival.
https://www.facebook.com/events/294167098046559

(Note: if it's like last year it doesn't really start until after noon on the Saturday and ends sometime later that night. By Sunday morning the place is virtually empty.)
There are a number of cultural sites around the area as well.

Different people have different riding styles as well. For example, my Thai friends like to drive like stink between gas stops, then relax at each stop for 25-30 minutes. As a result, we would leave Pattaya early in the morning and not get to Khon Kaen (500ish kms) until mid afternoon.
Meanwhile I leave Pattaya early in the morning and get to Kamphaeng Phet (600+ kms) just after noon by riding slower but spending far less time at each fuel stop.

As a result it's kind of hard to make too many suggestions. Personally, I use Google and Google Maps to plan my trips and pick out interesting things to see along the way.

Like this place in Saraburi alongside Highway 2 (not far from ChokChai Farms):
https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Pho+Thong+Auto+Mechanics/@14.6151225,101.1660267,11.75z/data=!4m42!1m36!4m35!1m29!2m2!1d100.9123061!2d12.9257527!3m4!1m2!1d101.6664999!2d13.9093088!3s0x311cf37f42c00a67:0xab07e16061ac7548!3m4!1m2!1d101.8925658!2d14.1897913!3s0x311c7aa95bfc5ebf:0xd03b2425ced6ea0a!3m4!1m2!1d102.6070707!2d14.6652055!3s0x311bd81451cf85eb:0x8856eea742934a22!3m4!1m2!1d103.5217946!2d13.8127047!3s0x311a8219e7b6cd8d:0xef5eb93ab4b96e06!3m4!1m2!1d104.3405071!2d14.6812578!3s0x3116d683feeb938b:0xd8837024a1880780!4e1!1m3!2m2!1d104.3296672!2d15.1041999!3e0!3m4!1s0x0:0xd4f94d6b8da38f38!8m2!3d14.6284757!4d101.1742115?hl=en

Doesn't look like much on the street view but since they took their last image the guy (guys ?) have filled the place with Vietnam era cars, motorcycles and other paraphernalia. 
Here is a video from a guy who stumbled onto the place while driving down the highway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vgsacSZIvI

He's found a couple other places around the country that have similar collections apparently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Udon Bike "Week" is actually a proper 3 dayer this year instead of a normal bike week Saturday Night. Daily rides out from the city to local interesting places, then back to the city for your night time "entertainment". I believe the w/end of the 16-17-18th.

it is hard to find info for bike week on the internet. if you see a Facebook page let me know. 

https://www.riderchris.com/events/thailand-bike-week-events-2018/

A couple of years back on my CB300f, I did the Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai trip, then over to Loei and Nong Khai, then down to Khon Kaen, then the long trip over to Sukhothai, Tak, then finally back to CM.  Took my time, made a lot of stops, and had a blast. If you like mountain roads, try it. 

That sounds awesome, what time of year did you do it out of interest?

How many days?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

OK everybody i am researching and adding your suggestions to my list. thanks.

keep it coming. :clap2:

Two trips, one on a PCX, the other on a 650 Versys. Thaivisa seem to have made the photos smaller, but the routes i took cover the areas you are interested in plus other areas. Hope it's useful ????

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/797874-small-motorbikes-and-travel-in-thailand-with-photos/

Edited by chrissables
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1