North Korea readies nuclear, missile sites for international inspectors - Yonhap

webfact

North Korea readies nuclear, missile sites for international inspectors - Yonhap

By Josh Smith and David Brunnstrom

2018-10-31T215418Z_1_LYNXNPEE9U1VN_RTROPTP_4_NORTHKOREA-MISSILES-SOUTHKOREA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM) are driven past the stand with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and other high ranking officials during a military parade marking the 105th birth anniversary of country's founding father Kim Il Sung, in Pyongyang April 15, 2017. REUTERS/Damir Sagolj/File Photo

SEOUL/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - South Korea's spy agency has observed preparations by North Korea for international inspections at several of its nuclear and missile test sites, the Yonhap news agency said on Wednesday, citing a South Korean lawmaker.

U.S. officials declined to confirm the observations, but Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in Washington he planned to meet his North Korean negotiating counterpart next week and would speak to him about inspections.

Pompeo said in a radio interview that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un had committed to allowing U.S. inspectors at two "significant" sites when he met him in Pyongyang this month.

"We hope to get them there before too long," he told the Laura Ingraham show. Pompeo did not identify the sites.

Kim Min-ki of South Korea's ruling Democratic Party told reporters earlier that the country's National Intelligence Service observed North Koreans "conducting preparation and intelligence activities that seem to be in preparation for foreign inspectors’ visit" at Punggye-ri nuclear test site and the Sohae Satellite launching ground.

The lawmaker added that no major movements had been seen at Yongbyon, the North's main nuclear complex.

North Korea has stopped nuclear and missile tests in the past year, but it did not allow international inspections of its dismantling of Punggye-ri in May, drawing criticism that the action was merely for show and could be reversed.

In September, Kim Jong Un also pledged at a summit with South Korean President Moon Jae-in to close Sohae and allow experts to observe the dismantling of the missile engine-testing site and a launch pad.

At the time, Moon said North Korea agreed to let international inspectors observe a "permanent dismantlement" of key missile facilities, and take further steps, such as closing Yongbyon, in return for reciprocal moves by the United States.

Washington has demanded steps such as a full disclosure of the North’s nuclear and missile facilities, before agreeing to Pyongyang’s key goals.

American officials have been sceptical of Kim's commitment to giving up nuclear weapons, but the North’s pledge at the summit with the South drew an enthusiastic response from President Donald Trump, who met Kim in an unprecedented summit in June and has been keen on a second meeting.

Pompeo told Laura Ingraham Washington hoped the second summit would take place early next year "where we can make a substantial breakthrough in taking down the nuclear threat from North Korea."

"There’s a lot of work which remains, and Chairman Kim has made clear to me - just as plain as I’m speaking to you, Laura - that he has the intention to denuclearize and we’ll do everything we can to assist him in following through on that commitment."

Pompeo did not name his counterpart, but Kim Yong Chol, a close aide to Kim Jong Un, has led past negotiating sessions with him.

The State Department declined to provide details, but the meeting is expected to take place in New York.

Also in Washington, South Korean Defense Minister Jeong Kyeong-doo said the United States and South Korea would make a decision by December on major joint military exercises for 2019.

Earlier this month, the two countries suspended Vigilant Ace, one of several exercises that have been halted to encourage dialogue.

"We are not right now concerned with a loss of combat capability," U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis told reporters after the meeting with his South Korean counterpart.

"Clearly as we go forward, we'll have to make adaptations to ensure we don't lose that capability. But right now, again this is not a total suspension of all collaboration and military exercises," Mattis added.

(Reporting by Josh Smith; additional reporting by David Brunnstrom and Idrees Ali in Washington; editing by Peter Cooney and James Dalgleish)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-11-01

13 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Say what you will. There's no case of amnesia like that experienced by a Trump supporter.

Maybe you can show a example of another president that has gotten the 2 Koreas more together then they are right now.  Like Trump or not,  these great changes are happening under his watch.  Learn to accept it.

45 minutes ago, how241 said:

Maybe you can show a example of another president that has gotten the 2 Koreas more together then they are right now.  Like Trump or not,  these great changes are happening under his watch.  Learn to accept it.

First off, I thought this thread was about North Korea's nuclear weapons. You might want to look at this link. It will show you that North Korea halted its missile testing for several years.

https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/dprkchron

Here are some links to relations between North and South Korea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_inter-Korean_summit

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1991/12/13/two-koreas-pledge-to-end-aggression/d104ab96-1a85-4024-8b61-bf9e43d779eb/?utm_term=.f8fd1f2fc6e8

http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_national/240541.html

The point is, as anyone with any memory or knowledge at all of past negotiations with North Korea, it's ridiculously early to be crowing about Trump's "successes."

Really, one would have to be a complete fool or ignoramus or both to say that the problem was largely solved:

“I have solved that problem. Now, we’re getting it memorialized and all, but that problem is largely solved, and part of the reason is we signed, number one, a very good document.”

Or that North Korea was no longer a nuclear threat:

kUuht00m_normal.jpg
Just landed - a long trip, but everybody can now feel much safer than the day I took office. There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea. Meeting with Kim Jong Un was an interesting and very positive experience. North Korea has great potential for the future!

1 hour ago, how241 said:

I am afraid I have to agree with bristolboy...be careful and wait, because there have many disillusions in the past...

Until now, we haven't seen any changes or signs of coming changes inside North Korea.

Pretending to open by visiting neighbors is one thing, but to really open is a very different thing?

The inspections are meaningless since nuclear missiles are not exactly bolted to the floor.

Having said that, the funny thing is that when multiple independent UN inspectors certify that Iran is not developing nuclear weapons, Trump refuses to believe them, but when Kim Jong Un tells him something similar about North Korea, he believes him! probably because he is a "smart cookie" and smart cookies don't lie...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brunolem said:

Having said that, the funny thing is that when multiple independent UN inspectors certify that Iran is not developing nuclear weapons, Trump refuses to believe them, but when Kim Jong Un tells him something similar about North Korea, he believes him! probably because he is a "smart cookie" and smart cookies don't lie...

Excellent point. Another instance of Trump supporters' doublethink.

My point is that this is a great first step.  It will take more small steps to slowly get to where everyone wants to be BUT  no other president has done  what Trump has done with N. Korea...To  keep adding meaningless sanctions is all the previous president where doing.  The Trump haters  can only hate. Small thinking.

From the same post !!!  Don't they contradict each other ..

"Having said that, the funny thing is that when multiple independent UN inspectors certify that Iran is not developing nuclear weapons, Trump refuses to believe them, but when Kim Jong Un tells him something similar about North Korea, he believes him! probably because he is a "smart cookie" and smart cookies don't lie..."

"The inspections are meaningless since nuclear missiles are not exactly bolted to the floor."

8 minutes ago, how241 said:

My point is that this is a great first step.  It will take more small steps to slowly get to where everyone wants to be BUT  no other president has done  what Trump has done with N. Korea...To  keep adding meaningless sanctions is all the previous president where doing.  The Trump haters  can only hate. Small thinking.

In that case, there have been lots of other great first steps. Some of them done during other Presidents' terms. Now if you mean that none of them got personally involved the way Trump did, I agree. But that's because they had had sense not to commit their prestige to very very preliminary negotiations. Trump is now locked in to declaring every little concession that Kim offers as a great triumph. Why are these concession more meaningful than those from the past? 

Keep in mind that the goal is denuclearization and as yet, there is not even an agreed upon definition of what that means.

"Now if you mean that none of them got personally involved the way Trump did, I agree. But that's because they had had sense not to commit their prestige to very very preliminary negotiations. Trump is now locked in to declaring every little concession that Kim offers as a great triumph. Why are these concession more meaningful than those from the past? "

Trump is playing Kim smartly.  Remember ,  this is Asia and Kim needs a way to save face...Trump is allowing Kim to save face and still slowly moving to where Trump wants to be.  Sounds like a smart negotiator to me. Let Kim get his spotlight as he slowly does what the world wants.

7 minutes ago, how241 said:

"Now if you mean that none of them got personally involved the way Trump did, I agree. But that's because they had had sense not to commit their prestige to very very preliminary negotiations. Trump is now locked in to declaring every little concession that Kim offers as a great triumph. Why are these concession more meaningful than those from the past? "

Trump is playing Kim smartly.  Remember ,  this is Asia and Kim needs a way to save face...Trump is allowing Kim to save face and still slowly moving to where Trump wants to be.  Sounds like a smart negotiator to me. Let Kim get his spotlight as he slowly does what the world wants.

ANd it couldn't possibly be the opposite? That Kim is playing Trump? Really, why would anyone trust Trump? When it's pointed out that his business career is littered with broken contracts and lies, the standard defense of his supporters isn't to say that it isn't true. What they claim (falsely) is that's how business is done. Do you think that Kim, a guy so paranoid he retains custody of his sh&t, is going to trust Donald Trump?

12 minutes ago, how241 said:

From the same post !!!  Don't they contradict each other ..

"Having said that, the funny thing is that when multiple independent UN inspectors certify that Iran is not developing nuclear weapons, Trump refuses to believe them, but when Kim Jong Un tells him something similar about North Korea, he believes him! probably because he is a "smart cookie" and smart cookies don't lie..."

"The inspections are meaningless since nuclear missiles are not exactly bolted to the floor."

No contradictions.

Inspections of missiles are very difficult to assess.

Inspections of productions sites on the other hand are more relevant because in this case things are actually bolted to the floor.

The same is true for test sites.

The thing is that Kim Jong Un could very well stop producing and testing nuclear missiles, and keep in secret places the dozen or two dozens already produced, which are more than enough to act as a deterrent for a small nation like his.

That would be the "smart" thing to do in his position.

What Trump has done until now certainly goes in the right direction, but with North Korea nothing is ever certain.

I think that signing a peace treaty would be a good step, because it would officially put an end to the Korean war, and would somehow put Kim in a corner, since he could not use the "state of war" anymore to justify his actions.

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

No contradictions.

Inspections of missiles are very difficult to assess.

Inspections of productions sites on the other hand are more relevant because in this case things are actually bolted to the floor.

The same is true for test sites.

The thing is that Kim Jong Un could very well stop producing and testing nuclear missiles, and keep in secret places the dozen or two dozens already produced, which are more than enough to act as a deterrent for a small nation like his.

That would be the "smart" thing to do in his position.

What Trump has done until now certainly goes in the right direction, but with North Korea nothing is ever certain.

I think that signing a peace treaty would be a good step, because it would officially put an end to the Korean war, and would somehow put Kim in a corner, since he could not use the "state of war" anymore to justify his actions.

You have made some good points that I can agree with.  I am not in love with Trump or care about any political party, only the job that is being now at the moment, 

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

ANd it couldn't possibly be the opposite? That Kim is playing Trump? Really, why would anyone trust Trump? When it's pointed out that his business career is littered with broken contracts and lies, the standard defense of his supporters isn't to say that it isn't true. What they claim (falsely) is that's how business is done. Do you think that Kim, a guy so paranoid he retains custody of his sh&t, is going to trust Donald Trump?

Only time will tell, who is playing who,  but to bring up Trump's business career is off topic. That's old news that only the Trump haters continue to go on about. What Trump does today and tomorrow is all the counts.

1 hour ago, how241 said:

Trump knows the art of the deal? He has done so well Trade deals, Peace Deals, standing up to aggressors!

A true President achieving his promises and to look up to and say Thankyou Mr President????

He has been cunning and delivered so much but the Liberals are up in arms. If Obama had managed so much he would have been given the Nobel Peace prize. However he didn’t did he?

6 minutes ago, how241 said:

Only time will tell, who is playing who,  but to bring up Trump's business career is off topic. That's old news that only the Trump haters continue to go on about. What Trump does today and tomorrow is all the counts.

Yes plenty of Trump haters on here!

They can’t deny the good things he has done.

6 minutes ago, how241 said:

It may be old news but it's relevant data to anybody who is going to negotiate with him. So it's not off topic at all. It's directly relevant to the question of negotiations and trustworthiness. 

11 minutes ago, how241 said:

You have made some good points that I can agree with.  I am not in love with Trump or care about any political party, only the job that is being now at the moment, 

As I am

the guy just needs a fair hearing from his detractors.

1 minute ago, Patriot1066 said:

Trump knows the art of the deal? He has done so well Trade deals, Peace Deals, standing up to aggressors!

A true President achieving his promises and to look up to and say Thankyou Mr President????

He has been cunning and delivered so much but the Liberals are up in arms. If Obama had managed so much he would have been given the Nobel Peace prize. However he didn’t did he?

What has trump delivered on trade deals? What has he delivered on peace deals? 

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

What has trump delivered on trade deals? What has he delivered on peace deals? 

Are you trolling me or having a joke?

He got better deals on trade with Mexico Japan the EU Canada.....,,

Has screwed the Chinese to the floor on their unfair trade policies.

That’s without even thinking about the Korean Peninsula where he is likely to get a peace deal and no others could have?

Hes stopped paying terrorists in Palestine.

Supported  the Jewish state with additional military trade deals and aid.

do I need to go on as plenty more?

13 minutes ago, Patriot1066 said:

Are you trolling me or having a joke?

He got better deals on trade with Mexico Japan the EU Canada.....,,

Has screwed the Chinese to the floor on their unfair trade policies.

That’s without even thinking about the Korean Peninsula where he is likely to get a peace deal and no others could have?

Hes stopped paying terrorists in Palestine.

Supported  the Jewish state with additional military trade deals and aid.

do I need to go on as plenty more?

First off, the deal he got, if it gets is with Canada and Mexico. And virtuall all economists agree they will make almost no economic difference at all. It may help slightly, it may hurt slightly. And given his huge denunciation of Nafta, what he settled for makes no sense at all. It's pretty much the same deal

And what agreements has he come to with Japan and the EU?

AS for screwing the chinese to the floor, don't you think it's early days yet? And he's screwed a lot of US companies with the stupid way he enacted it. Starting with basics like steel rather than with finished products.

And as for Korea, it's likely to get a peace deal? And you know this how? You certainly haven't consulted with anyone who knows anything about the Kims and the history of peace deals with Korea.

And the money he stopped sending to Palestinians. that was for terrorists? Only because in your mind Palestinian = terrorist.

Add giving Israel more arms and aid is a good thing? Ya think that's gonna get him the Nobel prize?