Pattaya police scramble to quell chaotic Terminal 21 traffic

Rimmer

4 hours ago, Rimmer said:

The long-term solution to the Terminal 21 traffic mess, Aruth said, would be to completely reopen the Dolphin Roundabout

That would make it even worse, as only about 2% of Thai drivers know the roundabout rule, IMHO

• Like 1

Eliminate curb parking on the entirety of N. Pattaya. Erect pedestrian barriers to manage pedestrian crossings--should also be done on Beach Road.  Construct pedestrian overpasses at Dolphin Circle to get to T21.  Deploy more traffic police on a permanent basis to manage traffic and fine violators.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Guess buidling a pedestrian underpass would be beyond their thinking

What are Pedestrians ?

Oh yeah ! Those pain in the A@#$ people that expect me to stop on those funny black and white striped bits of road when the light is on Red.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Jaywalking pedestrians also are to blame, he said, so crosswalks will be repainted and those on foot urged to cross only on them.

Good luck with that one, how are you going to get the cars to stop for pedestrians, it is safer to jaywalk....

• Like 2

I drove there this morning from Jomtien at 10:30 and there was no traffic at all. I made it in about 20 minutes. Parking was a piece of cake—there were literally hundreds of spots available. I drove home about 1:30 and again encountered no traffic.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Pattaya police scramble to quell traffic chaos, is somebody having a laugh?

They only scramble to get to the bar after some silly sod has rung the bell.:cheesy:

Or to set up a road block for their tea money.:cheesy:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, champers said:

Trying to cross the road from T21 to Best Supermarket should be made easier by fixing the crossing lights. I hope this will be attended to before there is an accident.

Crossing lights?? and you think the traffic will stop to let people cross the road?:cheesy:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

You missed a crucial bit

The orange cones will make the difference.

And for sure they will move them every week.

At Central Westgate i still don't know where to drive, they change the lanes all the time and still don't know how they want traffic to drive....I think it's dangerous to do so cause sometimes i just drive on the auto-pilot...

3 hours ago, newnative said:

Eliminate curb parking on the entirety of N. Pattaya. Erect pedestrian barriers to manage pedestrian crossings--should also be done on Beach Road.  Construct pedestrian overpasses at Dolphin Circle to get to T21.  Deploy more traffic police on a permanent basis to manage traffic and fine violators.

You have an  idea there but how can you eliminate parking spaces without some planning of other spaces where cars can be parked?

3 hours ago, AlexCanada said:

Went yesterday at 5 pm and the day prior at 11 am.  Zero traffic from Central Road to T21.  No cars lined up to park in the parking lot.  Likely will be different on the weekend but during the week it seems fine.  Mall also MUCH emptier now.

All the pro visitors have dropped off now. Will be starving in 6 months time

So miss the not too distant past.  Really don't see the need for and really don't want any more malls.  So much preferred the quieter Pattaya.  Walk along Beach Road, remember when the causeway walk used to wrap around the point?  quiet KISS restaurant on the corner near the roundabout.  Oh well

7 hours ago, AlexCanada said:

Went yesterday at 5 pm and the day prior at 11 am.  Zero traffic from Central Road to T21.  No cars lined up to park in the parking lot.  Likely will be different on the weekend but during the week it seems fine.  Mall also MUCH emptier now.

Well obviously there were not another few million Thais born overnight when they opened the mall.

2 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

In closing, taking the round-about out of the dolphin intersection was yet another masterpiece of absolute braindead officers in the city hall of clowns! 

I think that is a big factor in the current traffic issue.

By the way did anyone notice that there is not a single u-turn between the round about and Sukhumvit?

All u-turns have to be done at the traffic lights, which of course obstructs other traffic, and no it's just waiting until u-turns at traffic lights are prohibited as is the case at most other traffic light in town. That's when the real fun start.

17 hours ago, newnative said:

What you mean you want the police to get off their asses and actually do something, they can't even fine the motor bike riders for no helmet on Soi Bukhaow, we sat in bar one day and counted 22 in one minute which extrapolated out comes to 1320 x 400thb = 528,000thb in 1 hour, Pattaya traffic police must be raking it in from the bars to pass up this opportunity

• Like 1

Believe it or not this was one of the major reasons I quit Thailand after 30+ years. I lived quietly hidden in the back of Bang Lamung off Photisan Road but when I saw this mall being built I knew that it would be torture to get into town and the beach area and especially to Pattay Tai where I used to do my market shopping. I am now in quiet and traffic free Bislig City, Philippines. I do miss Thai food and Thailand in general but will return for holidays.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2018 at 10:42 AM, Phuketshrew said:

Yep, a bit of red paint on the curbs that no one takes any notice of anyway should do it.

so crosswalks will be repainted and those on foot urged to cross only on them WHY...Thai drivers do not know what they are for???!!! They never stop for pedestrians .....

• Like 1