Why are expats so bad in Thai?

FritsSikkink

Even Thais seem to find their language difficult, it is also inconsistent, particularly when you move from concrete concepts to abstract ones, which is why many English words get used instead. As to tones, as an older farang (83), my hearing is fine but my frequency response is poor, cuts out at around 12 kHz so I simply cannot hear some tonal variants. I think many Thais have the same problem and rely on context to guess tones. Finally many Thais refuse to even try to understand a farang speaking Thai, you just get a blank look.

I cant speak for others and only myself. As for myself i have found i can only learn a new language in a standard 1 on 1 language class. Thus why i still have very little thai language skill. I have many other things that my money gose to first. Such as getting a car or truck my soon to be wifes college next yr new phone for for both of us lasik surgery and lasrr hair removal for myself and eventually lasik for her. And other expenses such as sin sod to her mom.  I just dont have the extra 100k for thai language classss. And for the record my facical hair when starts to grow out and have it both irritates my face as well as hurts her. So yes i have very fine and corse facial hair. So the laser hair removal is essential for myself. But when i can afford the extra just to study thai i will learn. 

On 11/12/2018 at 11:03 AM, kenk24 said:

I think English has got to be unbelievably difficult to learn. I am just glad my niece does not ask me "why" questions... things I never thought about or noticed... 

I fly, you fly, we fly, they fly, he flies...

I have no idea, but glad I learned English as a first language. 

My fiancée asks me questions about English all the time. Mayne 10 or more a day. Sometimes i have to takr time and look up the answer as i dont know how to answer in a way she will understand. I dont mind it. I enjoy helping her improve her English. Especially since after gain my thai citizenship we eill head back to america for a few yrs. 

On 11/12/2018 at 11:40 AM, upu2 said:

I have been in Thailand for just over 30 years and I can hold a conversation with Thai's. I usually have a good talk with the taxi drivers. To learn a language is not too hard but you do need a few things before you can learn. These are a wish to learn Thai and most of all, persistence to make mistakes and learn from them. Unfortunately many expats here in Thailand define the word lazy. They expect the world to come to them as they are important and no one else is and of course for many there world revolves around drink where many people in these establishments speak some English. Learning a language is fun and it makes the world of difference when interacting with people who dont speak English.

No surprise that you did not get any "Likes" from that post.    The answer to the question posed is that the expats here are low IQ.....Lazy.....Want to look at their smartphone all the time.....Not capable of learning anything...... And unable to accept advice.    OOPS, sorry, i thought the question was asking expats why

thais are so poor at english !   WELL, MAYBE SAME SAME (BUT DIFFERENT ?)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rumak said:

No surprise that you did not get any "Likes" from that post.    The answer to the question posed is that the expats here are low IQ.....Lazy.....Want to look at their smartphone all the time.....Not capable of learning anything...... And unable to accept advice.    OOPS, sorry, i thought the question was asking expats why

......and more than likely not just the Thai language that they might struggle with indifferently. 

Doesn't matter where these folks place themselves as "expats" or long-termers, their nature is homogenous. 

I've witnessed this forever everywhere. 

Quite pathetic.

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

......and more than likely not just the Thai language that they might struggle with indifferently. 

Doesn't matter where these folks place themselves as "expats" or long-termers, their nature is homogenous. 

I've witnessed this forever everywhere. 

Quite pathetic.

If you’ve witnessed it forever and everywhere, maybe you need to reconcile your expectations with reality by changing one of them.  

I find it doesn’t help my happiness by going around calling the world pathetic.

• Like 2

I don’t think the majority of locals can count to ten either. 30 words in 30 years is a word a year, which is not bad going. Why learn the local language when you can shout and scream in English and wave your arms about like mad man?

Google translate has spoiled all the fun

13 minutes ago, poohy said:

I got sent here by the company 20 years ago 

Met an old guy who was fluent in both reading a writing Thai ......I was impressed

He just shrugged his shoulders and said they say nothing of importance  all they really speak about is food and the lottery.

Now years on and married i live a rural area I can speak Thai but not read or write

GUESS What that guy was 100% right  simply not worth the bother!

Dont forget all the voodoo malarky .

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, poohy said:

I got sent here by the company 20 years ago 

Met an old guy who was fluent in both reading a writing Thai ......I was impressed

He just shrugged his shoulders and said they say nothing of importance  all they really speak about is food and the lottery.

Now years on and married i live a rural area I can speak Thai but not read or write

GUESS What that guy was 100% right  simply not worth the bother!

"Simply not worth the bother!".... ??? not worth the bother to learn Thai because of a generalization you and an old guy (and perhaps plenty of others) have made that Thai's say nothing of importance and only discuss food and the lottery >>> ????

This implies exposure to an extremely limited and uneducated proportion of society. I'm not disagreeing with this, if you were to move in similar socio-economic-edcuational proportions of society in the West the conversation would be equally underwhelming... 

Conversations with educated Thai's is often as wide and varied as conversations with educated Westerners....  

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

"Simply not worth the bother!".... ??? not worth the bother to learn Thai because of a generalization you and an old guy (and perhaps plenty of others) have made that Thai's say nothing of importance and only discuss food and the lottery >>> ????

This implies exposure to an extremely limited and uneducated proportion of society. I'm not disagreeing with this, if you were to move in similar socio-economic-edcuational proportions of society in the West the conversation would be equally underwhelming... 

Conversations with educated Thai's is often as wide and varied as conversations with educated Westerners....  

The average "ordinary guys"  here wont run in with that league of class you speak of  if you get my drift.

Edited by Tweedle dee

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Point taken sire!

However all my "edumdacted" Thai friends mostly ex work colleagues from the travel business all speak English and are 100% Bangkok based

Sadly although beautiful and relaxed  living here in the country is exactly what i said...... food lottery or failing that basic primeval  grunts!

Even my wife Bangkok born "N" bred struggles to understand or maybe lacks patience to understand the locals

On 11/15/2018 at 12:23 PM, rumak said:

We are in Thailand they are not in England, just a small point but probably worth mentioning

3 hours ago, upu2 said:

We are in Thailand they are not in England, just a small point but probably worth mentioning

yes, my (sometimes) sardonic posts might be misconstrued .  I agree wholeheartedly with your post. It is worth repeating :

I have been in Thailand for just over 30 years and I can hold a conversation with Thai's. I usually have a good talk with the taxi drivers. To learn a language is not too hard but you do need a few things before you can learn. These are a wish to learn Thai and most of all, persistence to make mistakes and learn from them. Unfortunately many expats here in Thailand define the word lazy. They expect the world to come to them as they are important and no one else is and of course for many there world revolves around drink where many people in these establishments speak some English. Learning a language is fun and it makes the world of difference when interacting with people who dont speak English.

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
On 11/19/2018 at 6:49 PM, rumak said:

They expect the world to come to them as they are important

I've never thought of myself as important, but I do have a spare 1,000bht or two in my pocket.

Not my quote mr Too........... TV has a way of getting quotes mixed up.  That's why often i copy and paste.

I will keep in mind that spare $ though.....just in case 

Note:  i copied part of someone elses post.   The main part i agreed with is the EFFORT it takes to learn thai .  

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1