Doctors warn parents after boy in Nan collapses from over exposure to video games and Internet

webfact

Doctors warn parents after boy in Nan collapses from over exposure to video games and Internet

computerWorkshop.png

FILE photo

NAN, 5 November 2018 (NNT) – Physicians have issued a warning to parents and guardians to keep their children from prolonged use of video games and digital media after a child was admitted to Nan Hospital after collapsing from extended video game playing. 

The 13 year old boy was taken to Nan Hospital by his parents in a state of unresponsive shock, trembling at the mouth and limbs and with his extremities cold to the touch. His parents admitted that, while they were away during the day, they would often allow him to play video games and that he would often watch YouTube late into the night. 

In the week preceding his condition he had been playing online video games for extended periods. Doctors confirmed that he was suffering from extreme fatigue and treated him with electrolytes and minerals. He has begun to recover. 

Deputy Director of Nan Hospital, Dr. Pongthep Wongwacharapaibul , has reminded other parents to limit their children’s time watching television, playing video games and using their smart phones to under two hours a day and not exposing children under two years of age to such media at all. He warned overexposure could impact their child's health as well as development, pointing out the possibility of brain damage.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-11-05
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Stellar parenting, just let the kid do what he wants 

to keep him quiet, I would not let my daughter play

video games on computer,as i knew they can be so

additive.

In the local mall they had some computer game 

machines set up,and some kids were playing on

them,this little kid must have had no money to play,

but he was hyper to play,so he was alongside the

kids playing,and he keep putting his hands on the

keyboard trying to have a go,that kid would chase

him and he would go to the next kid and so on,

he must have been about 6 but already hooked.

regards worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

This is a world wide problem , it affects the health of all of us, and especially kids. 

They are addicted , just like any drugs. I don't see a solution to this , you can always ask them to turn off the phone and see what happens. 

23 minutes ago, HappyAndRich said:

Yes id like some more.. i use the internet all day.. i do play games.. and hell i even watch youtube too.. so according to you my iq that was tested at 130 must have been a lot higher to start with. Must have been degraded by the games i played on a computer when younger.

Or maybe.. your proof is a lot weaker then you think.

There are some correlations but they don't seem to talk about causation. You do know the difference between the two ? All these articles do is talk about correlation.. and certainly for a small percentage only. 

So just correlation.. and for a low percentage at that. no causation proven.

That is a lot different from what you  what you say that  that it will make you dumb. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, HappyAndRich said:

as robblok above said, please filter the studies you intend to share to those that show temporal sequence between playing video games, youtube, and/or social media and being dumber as a coconut. the studies you have cited only show association (weak ones at that) and are speculative at best. their coefficient of determination - the amount of variation in "gaming/internet addiction" that explains adverse behaviors - are under 40%. which means that the other 60+ percent are unaccounted for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

as robblok above said, please filter the studies you intend to share to those that show temporal sequence between playing video games, youtube, and/or social media and being dumber as a coconut. the studies you have cited only show association (weak ones at that) and are speculative at best. their coefficient of determination - the amount of variation in "gaming/internet addiction" that explains adverse behaviors - are under 40%. which means that the other 60+ percent are unaccounted for.

Sure, no need for more discussion. 

53 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes id like some more.. i use the internet all day.. i do play games.. and hell i even watch youtube too.. so according to you my iq that was tested at 130 must have been a lot higher to start with. Must have been degraded by the games i played on a computer when younger.

Or maybe.. your proof is a lot weaker then you think.

There are some correlations but they don't seem to talk about causation. You do know the difference between the two ? All these articles do is talk about correlation.. and certainly for a small percentage only. 

So just correlation.. and for a low percentage at that. no causation proven.

That is a lot different from what you  what you say that  that it will make you dumb. 

Where does it stands that it affects all? What it clearly states is that the risks are higher. No, need for more discussion here. As you do not understand the reports, it´s already too late.

3 hours ago, DLock said:

I agree, it's not the video games fault, its the lack of eating and drinking good nutrition and possibly lack of sleep and exercise.

Same thing would happen if you read books or watched TV under the same conditions...

But easier to blame the games than parental guidance...

Just another example of poor Parenting of children.

Children need good neutrition, plenty of good sleep, and a warm and loving environment in which to flourish.

This poor kid  maybe had non of these things, was left on his own for hours at a time and the video games were his best and only friend

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Love to see a study on this.. because as far as i know this has never proven but often touted by old farts kinda like how the TV would destroy us all.. then it was computers.. now it is mobiles.. i wonder what it is next time.

So are you saying Television didn't help to produce the sort of crime and behaviour we see today? The language used today on TV would not have been allowed when I was a boy. We know children are led by example and the media companies have a moral responsibility towards that, and all adults come to that. It is not only parents who are responsible for raising the next generation but all adults. Perhaps us 'old farts' have had longer to assess the results of modern entertainment.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

What I have seen here is that the parents let the kids do whatever they want to stop them from nagging them so to shut them up they will buy them everything they want too shut them up,,,Phones /laptops /play stations/ let them eat shit food  while they play instead of cooking them a meal ,don't chastise them  let them get away with whatever they want. Than when they 15 /20 yrs old they can't control them,they won't work and bludge on the rest of the family,,,,, happy days,,,,

9 hours ago, missoura said:

Even in the darkest areas of Nakokn Nowhere I see kids and phones.

poor.JPG

What you expect these kids will/can do?

Once they come home from school they can be Lucky and have some more day light. Maybe do some homework. Probably don't have a school nearby with a play ground, no sportsclub or some friends. So what else can they do then watch tv?

And i guess they have not so many toys to play with either.

So probably the mobile is something "usefull" they have to play with.

• Like 1

It's the parents' fault, but it's not "just" the parents' fault. For years now the tech industry has been hiring psychologists and studying psychological manipulation in order to make their screens as addictive as possible. It's incredible how much resources that some of the smart phone and social media companies have put into that endeavor. 

https://www.vox.com/2018/8/8/17664580/persuasive-technology-psychology

https://www.wired.com/story/our-minds-have-been-hijacked-by-our-phones-tristan-harris-wants-to-rescue-them/

The founding father of this research is B.J. Fogg, a behavioral scientist at Stanford University [where there’s a lab dedicated to this field]. Fogg has been called the “millionaire maker,” and he developed an entire field of study based off research that proved that with some simple techniques, tech can manipulate human behavior. His research is now the blueprint for tech companies who are developing products to keep consumers plugged in.

The psychologist Richard Freed, who wrote a book about the dangers of screen-time for children and how to connect them back to real world experiences, divides his time between speaking before packed rooms in Silicon Valley and his clinical practice with low-income families in the far East Bay, where he is often the first one to tell parents that limiting screen-time might help with attention and behavior issues.

“I go from speaking to a group in Palo Alto who have read my book, to Antioch where I am the first person to mention any of these risks,” Dr. Freed said.

He worries especially about how the psychologists who work for these companies make the tools phenomenally addictive, as many are well-versed in the field of persuasive design (or how to influence human behavior through the screen).

Dr. Freed and 200 other psychologists petitioned the American Psychological Association in August to formally condemn the work psychologists are doing with persuasive design for tech platforms that are designed for children.

“Once it sinks its teeth into these kids, it’s really hard,” Dr. Freed said.

And those who are doubting the negative effects on children of large amounts of screen time should take it up with Silicon Valley. A substantial percentage of the people who profit most off of these technologies and who know them the best are keeping their own kids away from there.

Athena Chavarria, who worked as an executive assistant at Facebook and is now at Mark Zuckerberg’s philanthropic arm, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, said: “I am convinced the devil lives in our phones and is wreaking havoc on our children.”

Tim Cook, the C.E.O. of Apple, said earlier this year that he would not let his nephew join social networks. Bill Gates banned cellphones until his children were teenagers, and Melinda Gates wrote that she wished they had waited even longer. Steve Jobs would not let his young children near iPads.

Among those is Chris Anderson, the former editor of Wired and now the chief executive of a robotics and drone company. He is also the founder of GeekDad.com.

“On the scale between candy and crack cocaine, it’s closer to crack cocaine,” Mr. Anderson said of screens.

Technologists building these products and writers observing the tech revolution were naïve, he said.

“We thought we could control it,” Mr. Anderson said. “And this is beyond our power to control. This is going straight to the pleasure centers of the developing brain. This is beyond our capacity as regular parents to understand.”

A Dark Consensus About Screens and Kids Begins to Emerge in Silicon Valley

The Digital Gap Between Rich and Poor Kids is Not What We Expected

Silicon Valley Nannies are Phone Police for Kids

• Like 2

8 hours ago, robblok said:

Love to see a study on this.. because as far as i know this has never proven but often touted by old farts kinda like how the TV would destroy us all.. then it was computers.. now it is mobiles.. i wonder what it is next time.

Anything that has your rapt attention for hours will qualify. 

16 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

Where does it stands that it affects all? What it clearly states is that the risks are higher. No, need for more discussion here. As you do not understand the reports, it´s already too late.

I understand the report, the problem is you .. you don't understand that correlation and causation are not the same. Once you have studied that then come back to me. 

*edit* 

Ok let me explain it myself, suppose we got in a car 3 people with red t shirts and 1 person with green. Now they have an accident all 3 in red are nice but the guy in green is dead. Suddenly we can say that wearing a green T shirt during a crash is deadly. However it also shows that the person in green had no seat belts on.

So just because you can use statistics to make a connection (correlation) it does not mean that the green T shirt caused the problem. It also could have been the seat belt, but even that is not sure. Just because you compare some groups and can point to correlation that does not mean the causation is correct. 

They never proven that the activity they described really caused it only that there was on paper correlation. 

They did no before and after tests to people who were not addicted and later were addicted or people with heavy use and no use. They did no such tests they only state that people in these groups according to statistics have a larger change to a certain behavior.  (correlation) while real proof would be if they proven causation. 

To prove causation you need to follow from healthy to sick or from sick to healthy.. not just report on statistics.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

The Gamers are vocal on this topic..cant admit their hooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Look who is talking posting from his mobile .. looks like a phone addiction ????

I am a part time gamer among many things.

The problem is more complicated than all that.

The MAIN problem is the lack of attractivity of "real life" vs. digital distrations.

When I was a kid, doing sports was so cheap it was almost free, there were cows and other animals in the fields, it was possible to do thrilling (i.e. mildly dangerous) things without getting the police called in. Nowadays, everything seems forbidden and everything is expensive, even access to information.

Digital media and games are the natural choice.

• Thanks 1