What we all know

It is possible to live happily in Thailand spending less than the sums required by Immigration.

The conclusion that we may draw from this is that, if the sums are set in order to ensure that we don't starve then, thank you Thailand.

Is a wife going to be forced to manage on her own simply because the husband's income doesn't meet the conditions set out to implement the Immigration act?

I sympatise with those who have been 'working the system' for years and having reached the safe haven of fifty years of age discovered that not much has changed but in genuine cases, there is an appeals procedure which I imagine has succeeded in many instances.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

27 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

It is possible to live happily in Thailand spending less than the sums required by Immigration.

No, it´s not possible for everyone that wants to live a decent life that can be expected of somebody retiring in a foreign country.

The conclusion that we may draw from this is that, if the sums are set in order to ensure that we don't starve then, thank you Thailand.

You do not only need money for nutrition.

Is a wife going to be forced to manage on her own simply because the husband's income doesn't meet the conditions set out to implement the Immigration act?

Nothing is sure about that yet. We have to wait and see what the final decision from Immigration is going to be. If like many posters here believe right now. Then the scenario of the case is going to be like you present it. On the other hand. Wife and child, house and maybe a car on only 40K baht a month is not much of a life to live in my personal opinion.

I sympatise with those who have been 'working the system' for years and having reached the safe haven of fifty years of age discovered that not much has changed but in genuine cases, there is an appeals procedure which I imagine has succeeded in many instances.

No sympathy!

• Confused 4
  • Sad 7

4 hours ago, tgeezer said:

No she isn't, because her husband does have the option of going to Savannakhet and getting a multi entry non imm O visa. Over there, There is no requirement to prove income.

I'm sure there are already a number who fall into this category and there may be a few more following the demise of embassy income letters and stat decs.

• Like 2

No she isn't, because her husband does have the option of going to Savannakhet and getting a multi entry non imm O visa. Over there, There is no requirement to prove income.

I'm sure there are already a number who fall into this category and there may be a few more following the demise of embassy income letters and stat decs.

This situation could potentially make the consulate in Savanaket start asking for financial proof for non O’s based on marriage??

400/800k - then what for the people who cannot meet the requirements.....

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

Who said we are all here to retire. I came age 36 with a tour job that started in Thailand and finished in Bangkok. But when the Thais stopped foreigners from active work on tours the job ended, but by then I had married and built a house. A govt that said I couldn't work when I had a wife and 2 kids to look after is not likely to get my support is it?

Guess you didn´t think of a back up plan. That´s something you always need to protect your life, livelihood, economy and family with.

But they changed the rules, causing severe hardships.

Only for the unprepared, that has not planned there life and steps carefully. Regarding the new problem with income letters, nothing has been stated definitely. Here we are all guessing what is going to happen. Like you can´t sell off everything you have in your home country, and take a wild chance that resettlement in a new country will work perfect and be flawless.

But retirees with a big pension are the only ones that fit their requirements, they didn't need to say the words, its in the new rules.

There are still much more people that fit there requirements. On the other side, there is no Immigration policy in any country that fits everybody.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Life is full of unpredicted events, you need to play the hand your dealt, not always possible to plan meticulously as you suggest.

So, what you are saying is that it´s not possible for people that want to resettle in a foreign country to plan for saving they not touch, that will help them to cement that goal?

For christ´s sake! How much is 800K in the western world today? This is starting to be ridiculous!

That is not what you can call planning meticulously! It´s frickin´human survival instinct!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Visa runs are for those for whom no provision has been made in the Immigration Act to remain in Thailand, far better to appeal officially in the case of a married man.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, Lungstib said:

If foreigners getting into western countries had to show they earned 4 times as much as the locals that would be the end of all immigration.

Foreigners from non-EU countries who want to work in the European Union also need a minimum salary which is higher than the average salary in the respective destination country

For example average salary in Germany 34k Euro, minimum salary for a "blue card" to work in Germany 52k Euro, not four times as much, but still 50% more.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Considering the same Thai government doesn't care a damn for most of its citizens out in the country on 10,000b a month why should they care about farangs who provide twice as much? They give us nothing, there is nothing we can take from them we cant own a business and most stringent of all they deny us jobs and then complain we have too little money. Basically they are suggesting they only want over 66 y.o.'s, people with huge pensions and with private health insurance who are stupid enough to spend 60,000b a year and then die quietly.   

"we cant own a business"

BS, many have one

"they deny us jobs"

BS, many have one

Rightfully so they want somebody to have health insurance, why should others help you with GOFUNDME if you have a serious problem.

• Like 2

back to OP

living on less than immigration sums, less than 65k that is for me (where does the 40k come from?)

if you live up Isaan way in a pleasant backwater place I think you could live comfortably on less than 65k/month

(provided no excessive expenses on health issues)

you could afford house, car/bike, healthy eating - some hobbies - schooling 'coupla kids, not Eton but ok

Any over 50 should factor in about 2,400 Bht a week for health issues that sooner or later will catch up with you.

It is not good enough to say "I will go home if anything serious happens".

I have seen time & time again where the sudden illness or accident precludes for 6 weeks going anywhere except a hospital bed here & why should Thailand's overworked care system be further stretched 

by a non tax paying Farang resident