Pattaya specific advice, please...

swissie

Pattaya specific advice needed. With regard to "Thailand makes HUGE changes to it's laws on smoking in public" (see Thailand News).

I can't think of any spot in Pattaya where I could light-up without violating the 5 meter law.

Those places/aereas will be affected:
- "Condos, rental buildings, pubs, hotels, religious buildings, karaoke establishments, restaurants, laundries, salons, cinemas, parking areas, spas, areas for Thai massage, clinics, hospitals, schools, swimming pools, fitness parks, clinics and other places." End of quote.
Do any of you know of a spot where smoking will still be possible in Pattaya without violating the "5 meter-law"? Especially as the last paragraph says "and other places". Meaning that even palm trees, no higher than 5 meters above ground are also a "non-smoking-zone".
I am afraid that to reach some isolated legal "smoking" places, my Taxi expenses would be so high, that a holiday in Monaco or St. Tropez would be far less expensive.
Or do you think there will be "smokers-dens" soon? You know, like "speakeasies" in the US or "opium-dens" in China before?
A new Business-Opportunity for Thai's? Smokers-dens in combination with massage parlors? Pure exitement!
Or declare cigarettes as an illegal drug in Thailand and start another "war on drugs", as "wars on drugs" have been so very successful internationally?
Or extend and intensify the ongoing "war on foreighners" (especially smokers), to keep it simple?

- Smokers comments with practical advice are welcome. All others are only allowed to step out of their condos in order to inhale the fresh air at their nearest intersection while singing the Thai-National-Anthem.
Cheers.
------------
BTW: I used to present such questions to my romanian gipsy clairvoyant. While she is still willing to make predictions about Donald J. Trump, she can't make any predictions concerning Thailand anymore. Her comment: "Anytime I ask something about Thailand, my cristal-ball goes blank."
On the way out, she gave me 2 kilo's worth of Travel-Pamphlets. Palm trees and beaches with no end. She said: "Not Thailand, not much money, not crazy, no BS and can smoke and sing and dance with women simultainiously." If Thai Women could do all those things simultainiously, I would have never left.

But reason enough for me to go thru all those pamphlets, just in case the Thai Lawmakers come up with more ideas to make me feel less welome in Thailand.
Strange, not long ago, in another thread, I mentoned something like "For a Farang, Thailand is some sort of benevolent circus". Seems to me that (as things evolve), "benevolent" will evenually fade into the background. "Circus" the only thing left for Farangs. This is likely to affect smokers as well as non-smokers and vegetarians alike. Like it or not. Blessed are the ones that can "take it or leave it". And now we are back on Topic. Or is it just scraching the surface?

• Haha 1

I don't know if this still goes on (when you don't smoke you needn't think about it), if you're walking the street smoking someone will follow you waiting for you to toss your cig. butt on the street, at which point they'll write you a ticket and you pay now! 2,000b or so.  And it was in Bkk.  Must be a lot about this on TVF.

Even if you know better than to throw it, well, each to his own, but I don't like people following me with some sort of intention.

2 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Stop smoking (I did after 40years) and not only your problems to find smoking places are gone but you'll save a lot of money to spend for REAL pleasures

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I hear you.
But if I could no more pay for Cigarettes in Thailand, I could not pay for the REAL Pleasures in Thaiand as well. In other words, I could no more afford the horrible entrance fees of the temples.
- I can see my future holidays in Thailand in the deepest Isaan, with no houses around. (Farther away than 5 meters, well understood.)

Or a low-cost holiday in a country like Switzerland, where even cows wear watches, and cheese is plentiful and women are beautiful and undersexed, waiting for males capable of blowing the "Alphorn". Age is of no importance, as long as they can blow the Bugle (Alphorn).
Christ! I better stop this, otherwise I will be banned from this Forum, accused of spreading "Fake-News", imitating polititians on both sides of the Atlantic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ye, and other places. They are the ones that the Police INVENT for their tea money.

it is not law yet.

you can smoke in many bars with seating outside the closed area.

You are free to smoke in your car, in your home, in a designated smoking area. 

I have been smoke free since 16 September, feel so much better. Some times when having a drink sitting outside my house, I could murder one but it passes in a minute or two.

• Thanks 1

I remember a few years back where legislation made it illegal to smoke in Walking Street clubs. That lasted a month or two. Wait for the smoke to clear (see what I did there?) and it will go back to business as usual.

Edited by quandow
Added the last line

Be a real man and just quite.

Admit you have an ADDICTION and fight it until you win.

At that time you will come to realize how foul cigarette smoke is. 

And the money you have saved will be well spent on other amusements ???? 

Food tastes better, long black hair smells better, your clothes don't carry the stench of tobacco , and you will live longer. Remember - kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray.

On the other hand - if you wish to kill  yourself  sooner, high tide charts are available here :

http://wisuki.com/tide/8727/pattaya

Just go out to the waters edge at low tide with a pack of cigarettes, sit down and light up. Keep on chain smoking until you have an empty pack &/or high tide has swept you away. Opps - Bring your own ashtray !