Pension Letter Service

10 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Technically 6 months, but some Im Offices have there own terms.

Check with whichever office you use is the best advice.

Then show them the IO download that says 6 months and if they still refuse phone the hotline 1185?

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 7:29 AM, ubonjoe said:

There have only been a couple of rogue offices that do not accept them up to 6 months from the date of issue on the date you apply for the extension.

Which office will you be using?

I’m in the exact same situation but The United States Embassy assured me and told me specifically that immigration bureau officials have confirmed that they will accept the income affidavit for up to 6 months from the day it’s completed.  They also say that immigration bureau officials have confirmed that they will also support early renewals during the transition period, however they don’t specify how early during the transition period.  What about Korat immigration?  They aren’t one of those rouge offices are they?  

As far as the “rouge offices” my suggestion would be don’t take no for an answer during the transition period because according to the official government guidance from the immigration bosses at the highest levels they are supposed to be working with us during the transition period so I would say show immigration their message from the embassy during the transition period if they try to say no but just be polite and respectful about it and if necessary ask to speak with the supervisors of those particular few rouge offices and show them the guidance that their bosses have put out.  

I’m gonna just open a Thai bank account no later than January and then just begin transferring more than the minimum monthly income requirement from my bank in the states to a Thai bank account every month on my payday just to be on the safe side for next time.  And if immigration asks I will be fully honest and tell them that my income (my monthly pension payments) have been going to my bank in the states and I just need to use the income letter which they are supposed to continue to accept for up to six months after it’s completed and then I’ll promise them that I will be transferring the minimum monthly income requirement to a Thai bank account every month effective immediately.  I’ve even started saving my ATM receipts just in case.  It might be a bit of a hassle for some people depending on where in Thailand you live during this transition period but I don’t think it’ll be as big of a problem as people think as long as you actually do receive the minimum monthly income requirement from your home country which is really all immigration wants to verify.  It just looks like they are enforcing the rules a little more strictly this year.  I don’t think it’s anything to panic about but just be prepared for changes.  Seems like every year at immigration there’s always a “new Sheriff in town” but as long as we’re following the rules you should be okay.  

Also we’re not even past January yet so I don’t understand what those few rouge offices are doing.  

Edited by Issanjohn

On 11/9/2018 at 7:29 AM, ubonjoe said:

There have only been a couple of rogue offices that do not accept them up to 6 months from the date of issue on the date you apply for the extension.

Which office will you be using?

Long story short it is 6 months for Korat immigration as well right?  I mean during the transition period as it’s phrased by the US Embassy.  

Obviously this will probably be the last time we’ll ever be able to use the income affidavit unless they change back later but next year in January or maybe even next month I’m just going to open a Thai bank account and just start transferring more than the minimum monthly income requirement from my bank in the states so I know I’m covered for next time when they eventually totally stop accepting the income affidavit.  I just want to make sure that I’ll be able to use the letter this one last time and according to the embassy I should be able to use the letter one more time and the embassy says that guidance came from the Thai Immigration Bureau Officials so I’m not too worried about it and I do get paid monthly pension payments which are way more than double the minimum monthly income requirement so I should be fine regardless but this change is still a bit  concerning.  I understand why people are worried but there’s a lot of hysteria about it some of which might be justified but I don’t think it’ll be a huge deal for those of us who actually do receive at least the minimum monthly income requirement.  And honestly if an individual doesn’t have the money I don’t understand how they could even survive here.  I guess maybe a lot of people might make less than the minimum monthly income requirement but can still live here pretty comfortably and I feel bad for people in that situation.  

Edited by Issanjohn

On 11/9/2018 at 3:42 PM, Golden Brown said:

My renewal is due on 1st May, 2019 and recently I enquired at the Chiang Rai IO and I was informed that the letter is valid for 6 months.   I intend applying for my letter from the British Embassy next week and in April will submit my application.   Fingers crossed.

According to what the US Embassy has put out according to the Thai Immigration Bureau Officials you should be okay to use the letter one last time.  I have to do mine in January.  

8 minutes ago, Issanjohn said:

Long story short it is 6 months for Korat immigration as well right?  I mean during the transition period as it’s phrased by the US Embassy.  

They have been accepting them that are up to 6 months old on the date you apply for the extension since June of 2013 when immigration issued a directive stating that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They have been accepting them that are up to 6 months old on the date you apply for the extension since June of 2013 when immigration issued a directive stating that.

Thanks I’m also going to try to do it early if possible because the embassy says that according to the Thai Immigration Bureau Officials they will support early renewals but they don’t specify how early.  Basically immigration is supposed to be working with us a little bit during the “transition period” as they phrase it.  I have to go there soon anyway to transfer my stamps to my new passport and I’ll probably ask a few questions while I’m there.  Mine expires on February 6th so I believe that means normally I can only do it like in January right?  It’s 30 days early that you can apply for your next extension right?  I’m gonna ask them if I can do it early and if they say no I’m gonna ask them and make sure they will continue to accept the letter past January.  

I have been using an agent for the past few years in Bangkok but I’m probably not gonna use the agent this time this time I’m probably gonna just do it myself because I don’t really need the hand holding anymore I’ve been living here long enough to know the deal.  This is just my first time living abroad as a civilian so obviously it’s different.  

I don’t know if you know and obviously you can’t predict the future but 6 months after it’s completed should mean that if I get the income affidavit this month or next month which I’m going to as soon as my new passport arrives in the mail any day now immigration should still accept it into the next year right?  So theoretically if someone got an income affidavit in December then technically immigration should continue to accept it until like May or June of 2019 should that be correct?  

Because that’s the impression that the US Embassy is giving people in fact the embassy actually confirmed that in an email to me but I did ask this question specifically.  The embassy told me that according to the Thai Immigration Bureau Officials they will continue to accept the income affidavit for up to six months after it’s completed so I would assume that would go into next year. As long as I can use the letter one more time fine next year I’ll make sure that I start transferring probably more than the minimum monthly income requirement into a Thai bank account so I don’t have a problem next time I do this.  I’m just concerned about being able to use the letter during the transition period as the embassy calls it.  

And really thanks again Joe you have always put out factual information.  

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Hey Joe never mind my last post you already answered my questions in private thanks.  Although that might be good information for the OP and for others if you still want to reply but I’ve already probably taken up enough of your time.  Thanks so much you always put out good information based on facts I really appreciate the information it’s a huge help when trying to make plans.  You’re awesome!!!

On 11/9/2018 at 3:42 PM, Golden Brown said:

My renewal is due on 1st May, 2019 and recently I enquired at the Chiang Rai IO and I was informed that the letter is valid for 6 months.   I intend applying for my letter from the British Embassy next week and in April will submit my application.   Fingers crossed.

Please let us know how that turns out for you 

On 11/9/2018 at 1:55 PM, crazykopite said:

Doing as you suggest would make a very angry imo officer doesn’t matter what IO states they are a law to themselves and I think life would become very difficult if someone went down that road . Personally I think once January 1st 2019 arrives they imo won’t be interested in a income letter that was written in 2018 I think the 6 months will no longer be accepted we all have a choice accept what is happening and make the necessary preparations or relocate to another country It would be helpful if immigration could make an announcement regarding the income letters so that we all know what is acceptable and what is not.

For the sake of 50 quid I'll have one up my sleeve for use at your office post songkran ☺