New helmet hurts, how to customize foam?

Thian

My new helmet hurts me a lot after 15 minutes of use...it pushes on my temples but fits perfect.

Is there a way to melt the innershell foam a bit? 

I thought of using the hairdryer to warm the foam and pushing it back a few mm....is that a good plan or do you guys have better ideas?

It's an expensive helmet so i don't want to ruin it.

2 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

If it pushes on your temples and hurts after 15 mins, then it doesn't fit perfectly !!!

Not sure heating the foam would be a good idea but rather keep wearing it, push through the pain and hope it molds to your head after 4 or 5 outings ??

It gives serious headaches after 15 min...i thought the same as you.

My head is 63 cm....the helmet is for 63 cm...size XXL and they don't have any bigger in this model. Already mailed the company Schuberth and they won't help me....they claim they have different pads for the inside but not for this size/model i found out too late.

So now the only way is to customize ,without ruining it.

27 minutes ago, Thian said:

My head is 63 cm....the helmet is for 63 cm...

This doesn't mean that he helmet will fit ????

Different brands use different head shapes to make their helmets, some assume a more oval head, some a more round, some a longer face, some a shorter and so on.

You should have tried the helmet before you bought it.

I could imagine heating a spoon and then pressing it on the area which pushes against your head could work to shrink the foam, but no personal experience.

28 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This doesn't mean that he helmet will fit ????

Different brands use different head shapes to make their helmets, some assume a more oval head, some a more round, some a longer face, some a shorter and so on.

You should have tried the helmet before you bought it.

I could imagine heating a spoon and then pressing it on the area which pushes against your head could work to shrink the foam, but no personal experience.

Well the helmet is German and i am Dutch....same bodyshape and everything.

Schuberth wrote me i had to fit the helmet for 45 minutes in the shop which i think is ridiculous....They also claim they have different sized pads for all their helmets, except for my model in my size (which they didn't mention). So i feel misinformed/cheated. 

Over the foam is some other material glued onto the foam...also there are connectors flued in the foam so i can take the innerpads out easy..it's those connectors which are made of hard plastic that hurt me.

I hope a warm spoon wont make the other material melt. I could take that off but than i need special glue to put it back.

If it doesn't work i might try to remove the liner and make a hot wire cutter to cut a slice of that foam. One way or the other i'll make this helmet fit, it's a perfect helmet with SRC system which i also bought. It has great airflow inside and good speakers/microphones.

I assume perhaps incorrectly that you bought this helmet online based on previous sizing?? Are you daft?? No one with any sense would buy the most important piece of safety equipment without first trying one on for the perfect fit . You made your bed now lie in it. Suck it up and go to a reputable shop, try on different models and find the proper fit, easy pezy.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lipflipper said:

I assume perhaps incorrectly that you bought this helmet online based on previous sizing?? Are you daft?? No one with any sense would buy the most important piece of safety equipment without first trying one on for the perfect fit . You made your bed now lie in it. Suck it up and go to a reputable shop, try on different models and find the proper fit, easy pezy.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well would you want to fit a helmet for 45 minutes while loads of other customers have weared it as well for that time? I think it's dirty.

I tried the hot spoon now, it still doesn't hurt but it's only 10 minutes on my head.

• Confused 1

Well would you want to fit a helmet for 45 minutes while loads of other customers have weared it as well for that time? I think it's dirty.

I tried the hot spoon now, it still doesn't hurt but it's only 10 minutes on my head.

Have you spoken/visit Panda Riders as they are main dealers and ‘maybe’ have other ideas/solutions???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Have you spoken/visit Panda Riders as they are main dealers and ‘maybe’ have other ideas/solutions???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No i've seen their shop at ratchaprueck but when i went there i couldn't find it again. Also i bet they don't have size xxl or xxxl.....i also went to another very big shop for the big honda's (can't mention the name or i'll get banned here again) and the 2 sales who came to me couldn't speak english so i left....but this helmet is so large it doesn't fit under the buddy of a scooter, only the yamaha 300cc fits it and the burghmann...but i need another scooter for this helmet haha.

I tried it again with the hot spoon and pressing as hard as i can....it worked but am testing it right now.

12 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

The helmet is too small!

Well it's for 63 cm heads and my old Yamaha helmet size XL fits better than this one in XXL.  The yamaha helmet i bought in BKK so is for asian heads i guess and the schuberth is from germany and bought there.

But i'll make it fit...even if i have to rebuild it totally. I do like the src, works very well...

No i've seen their shop at ratchaprueck but when i went there i couldn't find it again. Also i bet they don't have size xxl or xxxl.....i also went to another very big shop for the big honda's (can't mention the name or i'll get banned here again) and the 2 sales who came to me couldn't speak english so i left....but this helmet is so large it doesn't fit under the buddy of a scooter, only the yamaha 300cc fits it and the burghmann...but i need another scooter for this helmet haha.

I tried it again with the hot spoon and pressing as hard as i can....it worked but am testing it right now.

Tried using a hair dryer to warm up the foam?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Have you tried shrinking your head?

A bit of an extreme solution I think... :tongue:

Just cutting your hair shorter than usual could help. :smile:

Not joking! Hair use a lot of volume,

and foam may progressively take the good shape

when your hair will slowly grow.

7 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

A bit of an extreme solution I think... :tongue:

Just cutting your hair shorter than usual could help. :smile:

Not joking! Hair use a lot of volume,

and foam may progressively take the good shape

when your hair will slowly grow.

Yes i have very thick hair, barbers always complain about it.

And i might have an odd shape head as well, who knows? That might have to do with the very high scores i got on analytical tests.

Well now it doesn't hurt me but it's still not perfect....wil continue heating and pushing it....or go buy glue and take the whole thing apart and cut the foam...

Without the innerpads the helmet is even too large. maybe i need to make my own innerpads of thin material.

Thais have different shaped heads, nothing racist about that, but every helmet I have bought here (about 6) I have had to modify. In Europe (I have bought 4) they are all the correct shape for me. Here I modify by squeezing the front and rear padding to prevent temple pressure. I do it by using my thumbs to compress the polystyrene, but have considered using a G cramp as they are still a bit on the tight side, if I try a bigger helmet it fits like a cock in a sock.

Compressing the polystyrene probably detracts from the safety but what else can you do?

2 hours ago, Thian said:

also there are connectors flued in the foam so i can take the innerpads out easy..it's those connectors which are made of hard plastic that hurt me.

you have your answer then ...

2 hours ago, AllanB said:

Thais have different shaped heads, nothing racist about that, but every helmet I have bought here (about 6) I have had to modify. In Europe (I have bought 4) they are all the correct shape for me. Here I modify by squeezing the front and rear padding to prevent temple pressure. I do it by using my thumbs to compress the polystyrene, but have considered using a G cramp as they are still a bit on the tight side, if I try a bigger helmet it fits like a cock in a sock.

Compressing the polystyrene probably detracts from the safety but what else can you do?

I also have 4 Thai helmets but none fits perfect...they're all too small and i had to search hard to find them..

Can't press too hard on the foam cause this helmet has sunglasses built in.

I bought this one cause i finally wanted the perfect helmet..but i can't store it inside the scooter and have to bring it into shops now which is not cool. I'm like a girl with a gucci purse haha and now i also look like a seal.

I'm disappointed by the Germans, won't buy their products anymore..Japanese products never give me issues. Also i don't understand why they don't make this model in xxxl like all their other helmets are.

21 hours ago, Thian said:

I also have 4 Thai helmets but none fits perfect...they're all too small and i had to search hard to find them..

Can't press too hard on the foam cause this helmet has sunglasses built in.

I bought this one cause i finally wanted the perfect helmet..but i can't store it inside the scooter and have to bring it into shops now which is not cool. I'm like a girl with a gucci purse haha and now i also look like a seal.

I'm disappointed by the Germans, won't buy their products anymore..Japanese products never give me issues. Also i don't understand why they don't make this model in xxxl like all their other helmets are.

Yes, you're right, it's the German's fault.

You'll have to explain about the seal look, I couldn't get that.

• Like 1