E-cigarettes set to be legal in Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Nicotine is one of the least dangerous chemicals in a cigarette. E cigs don't affect bystanders. Can't understand people who say they stink, they only give off water vapour. I can't smell anything even if someone is stood next to me vaping. As smoking was banned on beaches due to litter, I wonder if vaping will be allowed on beaches?

Really? And there was me thinking it was the hazardous element.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Thailand Tobacco Monopoly has finally got its vape products ready to go to market I guess. No one seems to be able to come up with any other reason why they have been illegal thus far.

They've been threatening, and perhaps giving, 10-year prison sentences for using this stuff.

And now suddenly, they've set up a system to tax the products, so suddenly it's OK to be legal.

CRAZY!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 2

E-cigarettes contain fewer chemicals and so the industry has presented them as a healthier alternative to regular cigarettes. But vape liquids can still contain nicotine, a highly addictive drug.

And on one point, Yale health researchers who study the health effects of vaping and e-cigs agree: Vape devices have not been proven to help adult smokers quit smoking. Moreover, vaping increases the risk a teen will smoke regular cigarettes later.

“The addiction to nicotine and later conversion to (or dual use with) regular cigarettes are the greatest concerns,” says Roy S. Herbst, MD, Yale Medicine’s chief of medical oncology at Yale Cancer Center. He points to two heavyweight organizations, the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) and the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), that have issued statements that vaping could be harmful to youth. (Dr. Herbst chairs the AACR Tobacco & Cancer Subcommittee that led the development of the statement.)

https://www.yalemedicine.org/stories/teen-vaping/

Electronic cigarettes, or e-cigarettes, put nicotine into your lungs and bloodstream. And they do it without the smoke and tar of a regular cigarette. But other harmful things can get into your body when you vape.

https://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/vaping-lung-cancer

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

A toxic substance need not have an odor to be dangerous. Remember that carbon monoxide is odorless as is natural gas. We must add an adulterant to natural gas for people to realize it is present.

Well we all know inhaling any other than clean air is unhealthy. My post was in answer to this: e-smoke annoys, and stinks.  

• Like 1

Swiss1960 said

From just one website:
"To use an e-cigarette, you load the liquid and apply electricity, heating the liquid until it vaporizes. At this temperature, the chemicals inside the fluid undergo a breakdown process and are converted into other chemicals. Using an advanced measurement system called nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, scientists examined the new chemicals, and in the process, found a particularly concerning result.
When the e-cigarette liquid broke down, it produced both formaldehyde and formaldehyde-releasing agents, a troubling result when you consider that formaldehyde is a known carcinogen. In fact, the recent article compares the risk of developing cancer from this e-cigarette toxin to the risk of cancer from smoking traditional cigarettes, and states that that the risk with e-cigarettes may be up to 15 times higher."

And you forgot the stinking and annoying part also...

As has already been suggested to you when you know nothing better to be quiet.

You are obviously bias and have no clue what you are saying or quoting.

Yes its annoying no doubt but as for the rest when you have read the correct studies not just those by idiots with agendas then come back and start qouting.

Its people as you with limited knowledge that cause confusion and don't help any one.

Read your studies and go to sleep.

• Like 1

Nicotine is only really dangerous in larger doses, it's actually a very potent poison but in tiny doses like those in cigarettes and these liquids it's not going to do much.

Unlike cigarettes you can taper the nicotine strength in the liquids over months or even years with tiny decreases over extended periods of time.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Thailand Tobacco Monopoly has finally got its vape products ready to go to market I guess. No one seems to be able to come up with any other reason why they have been illegal thus far.

cops were making a killing off catching people with them. especially foreigners who had no idea they were illegal, because why would they be? fines were running around 5 to 10 000thb.

22 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Very misleading article and non factual as the amount of formaldehyde and heavy metals found in Vapor is exactly the same as air.
The part about Flavors is maybe true some flavors can cause irritation to the lungs but there's no evidence linking Vaping to Popcorn Lung.

only the liquids containing diketone are harmful to some degree.

28 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Very misleading article and non factual as the amount of formaldehyde and heavy metals found in Vapor is exactly the same as air.
The part about Flavors is maybe true some flavors can cause irritation to the lungs but there's no evidence linking Vaping to Popcorn Lung.

Between your medical opinion and that of the medically peer reviewed WebMD, I think I'll rely on WebMD.

Great decision by the Thai government,i used to smoke normal cigs and the gf hated it. The smell on the clothes and breath annoyed her a lot. Even when we went out to have lunch or coffee,if someone was smoking it was terrible. I have been chuffing on my e cig now for 2yrs,no complaints from her whatsoever,some of the flavours she doesn’t mind the smell of at all. Mind you i still sneak in a real cig every now and then,but away from her and other people,but she knows when I have had one.LOL.

It will be nice to be able to finally go to a shop and purchase some juice and a new device without feeling like a harden criminal.