Video: Bike racer pays with his life in motorcycle accident

rooster59

3 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

This government should be deeply ashamed of itself that after 5 years of military junta not even the road safety improved 1%.

I am pretty sure that there's maybe one or two political parties that would be itching to use that very succinct admonishment of the incumbents when they hit the stumps. If only they could, eh?

8 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

2 or 3 seconds. The difference between a life lesson and death. 

Sure they were reckless but no one deserves to pay the ultimate price just for being a kid 

No but a grown up 23 year old might have to do that. They both should have known better, and the carnage continues.

• Like 1

I am glad that my Thai family always wear their helmets when they ride the motorcycles and

have shown me time after time the foolish people that do not, and who take risks like

these two foolish young adults. hopefully the survivor is a bit wiser and will not be racing like

that again. Maybe some of their friends and relatives learn from this needless accident as

well.

Geezer

I have not viewed the video, I do not wish too, but going by what has been said will the rider of the other bike be facing manslaughter charges? seems to me some form of physical altercation took place, horse play or not, one of them is dead.

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

I have not viewed the video, I do not wish too, but going by what has been said will the rider of the other bike be facing manslaughter charges? seems to me some form of physical altercation took place, horse play or not, one of them is dead.

There is no reason not to view the video. But "up to you".

There was no evident "horseplay". They just became entangled while rounding a corner at high speed. In sheer happenstance, when the one rider fell off, he slid in the direction of a moving truck, his head going under the rear wheels (pixelated video).

21 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Everyday students, always male, are racing home from the local college near us. Police are there to make sure traffic flows smoothly out of and past the college exit but sadly their interest in road safety ends about 50 metres either side of it.

It will never change.

We have the same problem in our village with two major differences - there are no police and the students are only in Prathom 1-6.  (~12 years old)

22 hours ago, moontang said:

a felony resulting in death is murder in the US....cage him for a few years and make him do some public messages about what happens to bike racers.  They put a traffic bump on my soi yesterday...unbelievably reckless driving out there, mostly by

negative worth punks....it is a disgrace to their religion and country.

Thailand isn't the US. Different rules apply. Not that there ARE any rules other than everyone does exactly as they want without any thought of the consequences. That needs at least a minimum amount of intelligence and doesn't exist in far too many Thais. And it has nothing to do with education, but everything to do with common sense - in this case, if you ride so close to someone at high speed then common sense dictates that you might collide and one or both of you could die or be seriously injured. But that obviously never entered their empty heads. If they don't care, why should we?

15 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Videos like this should be shown on the news every day, then something might sink in to their thick skulls !

No, not a chance. Across the road from me, a young lad ripped half his head off speeding and crashing into a roadside pole. Next day I saw his brother racing off on the wrong side of the road, speeding, no helmet.

Really, these people are beyond any help.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Videos like this should be shown on the news every day, then something might sink in to their thick skulls !

They already are. Usually on the very early, pre- 8 AM local TV news shows. Makes for delightful viewing over ones morning coffee and pa thing ko.

And no helmet , would not have saved him anyway. As long as they never learn how to behave in the traffic , accidents like this will happen weekly.

His friend has to live with this for the rest of his life, but he learned his lesson.