What's this critter?

canuckamuck

50 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Probably a caterpillar of some kind,

Very likely. Some stunning example images of caterpillar camouflage on the net.

Couldn't find an exact match.

And from now on I am afraid to grap a twig :shock1:

Edited by KhunBENQ

14 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I still don't see a critter,  What is contained in the highlight box repeats at equally spaced intervals in the original picture, so if that is the critter  I would say they are incredible disciplined and spatially  oriented.

Personally I suspect it is a coordinated conspiracy  effort (so far very successful)  by TVF to have as staring at a branch all day.

For my good friend @sirineou I have flipped the image upside down and darkened everything but the critter.

Caterpillar3.jpg

Edited by canuckamuck

3 hours ago, Thian said:

I found this thing hanging in the tree today...it's some kind of silky cocoon but nothing lives in it....it's made of broken branches which lay under the tree...i wonder what animal made it...

strange.jpg

Looks like a bagworm moth cocoon, also called case moths.  They come in different shapes and sizes.

A few examples here: http://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane_moths/PSYCHIDAE.htm

5 minutes ago, Carib said:

Looks like a bagworm moth cocoon, also called case moths.  They come in different shapes and sizes.

A few examples here: http://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane_moths/PSYCHIDAE.htm

Yes that must be it....but it got those wooden sticks from the soil 2 meters below where it was hanging.

The small ones i see every day but this big one i've never seen before..

thanks for the info.

• Like 1