Big Joke crackdown on illegal foreigners extends to schools - no arrests but a big photo op!

webfact

Big Joke crackdown on illegal foreigners extends to schools - no arrests but a big photo op!

1pm1.jpg

Immigration officers went to a leading school in the north east of Thailand to check on the credentials of teachers including British and African nationals. 

But rather than arrest anyone on overstay or illegal entry into Thailand it appeared to be a chance for a big photo opportunity.

New immigration chief Maj-Gen Surachate "Big Joke" Hakparn sent in his Mukdahan chief Pol Col Komen Suphap to Mukdahan School to check up on the twenty foreigners working there. 

The school employs three teachers from Britain, two Germans, two Russians, an Australian, three people from Zimbabwe, two from Cameroon, one from Turkey, four Filipinos and two Chinese nationals. 

But all were found to be legally in Thailand with their papers in order. 

Thaivisa was told by one of the teachers at the school that Mukdahan School is very good when it comes to matters concerning paperwork: "Our school is very up to date on stuff like that. They don’t tend to make any mistakes".

Our contact said that normally checks at the school were low key affairs but this one was different.

Our contact added: "They loved me because I’d managed to do my 90 day check in

online".

Thai media reported that the Maj-Gen's crackdown was hunting out teachers in Thailand both illegally and on overstay.

But in Mukdahan at least immigration offers were pictured smiling with school staff at the visit last Thursday as they explained immigration procedures. 

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-12
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Doesn't he grow tired constant putting himself in front of cameras so he can be worshipped and adored geez talk about vanity.

As far as I can tell from the OP news report, BJ wasn't even THERE. He just sent one of his local underlings to do the check.  But of course, he still gets his name in the news anyway.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SkyNets said:

If only there were some sort of database Big Joke could enter a name into to check on visa status. Until then, you will be frog marched to the press conference if your not carrying your passport and work permit.  Maybe the database will come with the 5.0 update.

don't now if windows 7 could handle the sophistication ….

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

BTW, just curious, through all these serial immigration raids and crackdowns....

Can anyone recall ONE instance where a Thai school operator has been arrested for any kind of bad stuff involving either work permits/visas for teachers or education visas for students?

I don't think I can think of any!!!

But instead, we get photos of foreign teachers in an Immigration raid who, apparently, have done nothing whatsoever wrong and who have all their papers entirely in order.

There pay grade is way above that sort of thing.

Only low hanging fruit is required.

Just one more Photo Op for Big Joker. :coffee1:

May come as a surprise to some of my fellow Foreigners BUT..

THE LAW, IS THE LAW in THAILAND, as it is presumably, where you come from.

THAI IMMIGRATION has every right to go hunt down and toss out those who FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THAI LAW.

Surely that is not too hard to understand ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Torrens54 said:

May come as a surprise to some of my fellow Foreigners BUT..

THE LAW, IS THE LAW in THAILAND, as it is presumably, where you come from.

THAI IMMIGRATION has every right to go hunt down and toss out those who FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THAI LAW.

Surely that is not too hard to understand ?

Right. But the problem in this case is, that nobody has broken the law.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SkyNets said:

If only there were some sort of database Big Joke could enter a name into to check on visa status. Until then, you will be frog marched to the press conference if your not carrying your passport and work permit.  Maybe the database will come with the 5.0 update.

If only there were machines capable of holding said database where anyone could access these “machines” to look people up and check there status. 

Even better, the machines could alert immigration if someone didn’t renew or exit the country on time. Perhaps some sort of a digital alert could be created to do this. All immigration would have access to the same database and system so everything synced.

Wow. Talk about living in the future. We’ll never have such technology in our lifetime.

Oh well, back to reading the news paper and watching TV. 

• Like 1