Video: Thais ripped off for 7,500 baht by rogue taxi in Paris

webfact

Video: Thais ripped off for 7,500 baht by rogue taxi in Paris

7pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A video has gone viral on social media after two Thais filmed their experience going from Charles de Gaulle airport to a downtown Paris hotel. 

The driver shows the passengers a "meter app" that says they have to pay more than 240 Euros. They question what this all means.

The poster Charkrid Thanhachartyothin said they were expecting to pay somewhere between 30 and 70 Euros for the 30 kilometer trip. 

The poster said the driver got angry, locked the doors and drove them around without letting them out. 

They eventually paid 200 Euros or about 7,500 baht. 

The hotel called the police. Daily News said the driver was operating an illegal cab and had been arrested. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-12

• Like 1

this Paris driver must have taken his taxi apprenticeship on Koh Samui where the norm is to squeeze as much as they can out of all who dare to hire them. If you question the bill unlike the Paris taxi driver the Samui driver will get aggressive and threaten harm on you.  

on one occasion I took a cab from the airport to my house we agreed 300 baht, on arrival he demanded 3,000 ( my house is 10 minutes from the airport ), 20 minutes of arguments and aggression the MIB showed up . 
The taxi driver left with his 300 baht . the MIB 1,000   

They had so much restraint. Ive been in situations like that and they turned violent with me puttong6my hands on the driver from the back seat. But then when i try to be nice and polite and that dose not work and the only thing they understand is violence then i have no. Choice but to go that route. In my case i would have been there already. Pulled up the fence taxi laws and so on. Showed them then stated ehat is going to happen as well as everything i will do in response as well. Then proceed to do exactly as i stated. Luckily once i have stated the local laws things end quickly but 2 times its turned physical. Never a good situation but have very few times where their desire to scam out weights the laws and having them put in their face. Though again pulling up the local laws and showing them 95%of the time will end it right then. Hence why should Always get a local sim with internet before leaving the airport. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

I got your point but you should know that some of us criticizing thailand doesn't mean we don't love Thailand. Even in our own countries we criticize things . Critical thinking helps to make things better... Be happy man we love Thailand.

I have critized thailand countless. If times but it is still my home in my heart. As no place is perfect so we will always have complaints about the things we don't like. Such as for myself the attractions that don't follow the dual pricing laws and charge the forienger price despite meeting the local price requirements. If go back to america few easy things to point out. Cost of food female states and more. 

• Like 1

So fitting...lol  Especially how many times I have been ripped off by the Thai taxi drivers, or just dropped off no where close to were I want to go, and then laughed at as they drive away.   

And, I love how the Thai's are so trusting of the police in other countries, but not in Thailand.

Edited by JMSIII

2 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

I only use uber or grab no matter which country I am in that they operate. Taxi drivers all over the world will attempt to take you up the farter.

If i can i will rent a car or bike and take myself around as that eliminates the worry of transpirtation scams. 

23 hours ago, webfact said:

The poster Charkrid Thanhachartyothin said they were expecting to pay somewhere between 30 and 70 Euros for the 30 kilometer trip. 

I paid 40 Euros for a trip from CDG to Boulevard du Hussman, but that was nearly 30 years ago.

Decided to travel back to CDG by using the Metro, got to the near by metro station, total confusion, tried to by a ticket but all the kiosks were closed, the ticket machines were not were not working, was waved through the barriers, thought I would have to pay on the train, but no ticket collectors, changed train at Gare du Nord, when I got to the station near the airport, got to the ticket barrier and did what everybody else was doing,  scrambled over the barriers, free shuttle to the airport.

Only when I got home I found out why,  just another municipal workers strike day in Paris...  seems Paris works just as well without them. 

8 minutes ago, kevvy said:

why? these are just two Thai tourists trying to get a honest taxi driver .They do not represent the taxi drivers of Thailand geeezzzz.

I'm in total agreement.  Not karma and not funny.  Ripped off is ripped off.  End of.  

If he ripped off my Thai wife like that then I'd smash his <deleted> face in.

Edited by fanjita
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Borzandy said:

Taxi in Paris are copying Thai taxis

Many taxis in Paris are operated by Turks and other immigrants.. rarely a Frenchman drive a taxi nowadays.. too tiring. ..get the immigrants to do the hard work like other countries. 

• Confused 1