Doubts rise over Feb 24 poll date

webfact

1 hour ago, PREM-R said:

The next election will only take place after His Majesty the King formally ascends the throne, junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2018/06/19/no-election-until-king-coronated-prayuth-says/

What he said may not be what HE want. Coronation during post coup junta and elected government do have a different ring to it 

• Like 1

We moved away from Thailand in 2016 after 2 years of junta thinking it was going downhill

Now we visit 3 months a year

We planned our visits exit this year to be in Jan due to all of this election stuff

Will plan next years visit after we see results...if any ????

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1

If the current PM thinks he has done such a good job and the country is in such great shape ( both thanks to him) he should be saying the time is now let us not wait a moment longer the people should decide, let the people decide...…………..Prayuth the "Grate One." or some one with no experience.

I am sure if he took the right people on one side and told them to get on with it would happen PDQ just like coup.

6 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

What he said may not be what HE want. Coronation during post coup junta and elected government do have a different ring to it 

Remembering the whys, wherefores, and reasoning for coups [and subsequent militaristic occupation/govts] that take place throughout contemporary Thai history.  

Not terribly difficult to connect the dots.

Though a goodly percentage struggle to do so.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Wait for it!! ......

Wait for it ......

When will there be a bomb or some  sort of protest to trigger a delay? For the sake of safety and stability.

You must read history books like I do. IMO if the junta have any risk of losing your prediction will be correct as history repeats itself — just the names of the people change. 

On 11/12/2018 at 4:26 PM, neeray said:

"said he was convinced the next election would not be held on February 24, as many political parties would not be ready by then"

Haha ... No surprise here !

When those political parties are held so tightly to somebody else's rules and timeline with no wiggle room or firm dates established, of course they may not be ready. This makes me think of a horse race where the "intended winner" is all set to run and the competing horses are only allowed to show up moments before the starting pistol fires.

said he was convinced the next election would not be held on February 24, as many political parties would not be ready by then"....is exactly why the junta wants to hold the election in Feb. The ban on political activities were designed exactly for this purpose under the guise of keeping peace and order.

Thats my birthday. 

I like a drink.

As bars are shut on voting day

Loong Tuu generously offered to postpone the elections so I could pop into Wine Connection.

Im sure the entire nation will understand hes acting in my best interests.

Also, he ran out of excuses in the big excuse box he keeps on  his desk.

Edited by Small Joke
  • Haha 1

Paiboon Nititawan, leader of the pro-junta People Reform Party, said he was convinced the next election would not be held on February 24, as many political parties would not be ready by then. He added, however, that he saw no problem with that.

Of course it wouldn't be a problem for him if other parties weren't ready.

????

I think there is just a language translation problem.  yes there may be a poll, AKA survey.  But an election where the people vote?  Doubtful.  And does Thailand elections go by majority vote?  Or do the provinces get individual weights or is there some sort of electoral vote system such as the USA kind of has

55 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I think there is just a language translation problem.  yes there may be a poll, AKA survey.  But an election where the people vote?  Doubtful.  And does Thailand elections go by majority vote?  Or do the provinces get individual weights or is there some sort of electoral vote system such as the USA kind of has

They use a parliamentary style system like in the UK.

This means that Members of Parliament are elected based on the vote within their constituency which is a geographical boundary.

The leader of the part with the most votes tends to be the prime minister. So you don't vote directly for a prime minister like you would vote for a president in a US style presidential election.

You vote for a party and that party has a leader who becomes PM if they win.

Edited by ukrules

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

They should do it at the end of April instead, this way the entire tourist season is avoided.

I expect civil disorder during or after the election.

The 1st of April would be more meaningful and suitable? 

Or on Mickey Mouses's birthday.

• Like 1