Thailand announces huge changes to tourist visas in bid to boost tourism

2 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

I hope someone sends the memo to the lovely immigration staff at DMK

Im told this has already improved since the Chinese guy was punched by an immigration officer. A friend entered about a week laterand nearly collapsed in shock when the IO smiled and said "Welcome to Thailand"......555.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deli said:

1st of all, too late. 2nd, if tourists are spending thousands of $ on plane ticket, accommodation, etc.,  who the hell cares about peanuts for visa fees.

Smoke and mirrors only. Cheap Charley long stayers don't safe the budget figures.

I care. That is how I'm able to spend the money on the plane ticket, hotel accommodation, etc. Every bit counts; especially, when the holidays is in the thousands.Now I think you have a better case if the person has never been to the country of choice before, but if he or she has traveled there before, visa fees will definitely figure into the budget and where the destination(s) will be.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Might be, TIT ????

I checked different Thai sources for this, some say 15.11. to 15.01., others say that the cabinet didn't decide yet when to start, and that when they start it will run for 2 months.

Whenever (or if?) it will start, we can be quite sure that it will be for just two months.

What!???? No 24 hour crackdown??

The OP indicates that "foreigners from Singapore, Japan, France and the United States" will qualify for these Visas.

Anyone care to guess if that will also include UK?
Logic says it should but....TIT! [emoji848]

Why not? Just hand a gift bag of
Black spray can paint to defile
another monument? Or
Perhaps some alcopops to jive them up for the inevitable bar fight on Khao San later ?

37 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

No, Tourist Visas were free, along with unlimited free 30 day extensions.

ONE category of the tourist visas was free. And you re right about unlimited Visas on Arrival. But it had been like that for years. It was the sudden cheap baht that brought the record influx of tourists, not the visas!

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 2

Just now, Kim J said:

Typical knee jerk reaction. Clearly if this is for the next two months only as a trial, they have not considered that the vast majority intending to travel during this period will have already made their arrangements.

True but I'm going to Thailand in January and have not yet applied for my visa (takes less than a week from the London Embassy) so am "watching this space" with interest

3 minutes ago, The traveler said:

unlimited tourist visa for those under 50,

They should just open up a new category for under 50 sort of like Malaysia does. Visa requirements are the same except for the money amounts involved which would be more. 

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Wow!

Tourism numbers and revenues must be taking one hell of a hit to do this; it is a refutation of everything the Junta has been doing or saying for years.

There is a great deal more to this story; I am looking forward to finding it out.

I am sure TAT will disagree and will assure us that numbers are up again as usual. There are now more Chinese people in Thailand than left in China, and they all have suitcases bursting with cash. 

It is a wonder that they didn't announce another tightening of the screws on visas, as the billions of cash flush tourists must be almost overwhelming them. 

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Don't overlook this before getting too excited.

its about time , also its about time not just to look at visas BUT also to get back to 70 baht to uk pound then people will be flooding in , thats what it should be anyway with a view to going upto 80 baht to pound , they might also get alot of condos sold at same time if exchange rate is at this level which it should be !!

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Don't overlook this before getting too excited.

its about time , also its about time not just to look at visas BUT also to get back to 70 baht to uk pound then people will be flooding in , thats what it should be anyway with a view to going upto 80 baht to pound , they might also get alot of condos sold at same time if exchange rate is at this level which it should be !!

• Like 1