Forum very slow and pages not loading

balo

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a migration to a different server provided by the forum software suppliers and they will be responsible for maintenance and etc. That puts any problems on the their back. TechDoctor will be overseeing what they do.

16 hours ago, Spidey said:

Sounds like TV will be migrating during the day. TiT.

Since Thaivisa has members and non-member readers in almost all time zones one could say that the sun never sets on Thaivisa. It is safe to assume that the times given in the announcement are for the time zone applicable for Thailand, ie UTC+7, aka Indochina Time (ICT)

Will be a sad day when TV is fixed. I will be forced to read Brit Driving Licences in the Car section for enlightened opinions. Fear not though Thai Visa Connect will still take another 6 years. Dont realy believe that even when fixed it will still have more useless clutter than our eldest Daughters Bedroom.

No its running smooth here. 

All that needs to get fixed now is my content , this thread and many others does not show up under my content. I have checked the settings and they are fine.   

1 minute ago, faraday said:

????

Have you finished yet?

Sneaked a sly post in to say that it is Friday night. Suspect that it was an edit of a previous post. 

Just keeping us on our toes.

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Sneaked a sly post in to say that it is Friday night. Suspect that it was an edit of a previous post. 

Just keeping us on our toes.

Bet Tech Doctor hasn't finished knocking up the new server in his garden shed yet.

Managed to get a picture of his workshop yesterday; couldn't see him anywhere....

Roger-Wood-Klockwerks-300x224.jpg

On 1/2/2019 at 8:23 PM, Maestro said:

Since Thaivisa has members and non-member readers in almost all time zones one could say that the sun never sets on Thaivisa. It is safe to assume that the times given in the announcement are for the time zone applicable for Thailand, ie UTC+7, aka Indochina Time (ICT)

funny that nobody posted about what the problem was.

I once got caught with one of my forums in the "cloud server" trap - supposedly these servers are fast because they store content in RAM, but databases are typically stored on "storage arrays" located on different machines.  What happens then is that there is a bottleneck of I/O bandwidth between webserver and database server and database-intensive applications slow down with similar symptoms as those shown by ThaiVisa.

I/O bandwidth can be simply checked on Linux using the dd command.

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

As usual no explanation and outage still listed.  As we are still at thaivisa.com/forum there has not been the planned switch.  Or we have time traveled.

It was postponed for 24 hours at I assume the last minute since the new hosts (Invision Community) were not ready. No certificate for the new URL and not registered yet.

9 minutes ago, vogie said:

One thing I've just noticed Bill, we have the post numbers back, we didn't have that yesterday did we?

I got so used to not seeing them I hadn't even noticed.

Either that or I need new glasses.

Perhaps it is time to buy a guide stick and a white dog.

I hope the dog can drive a pickup truck.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It was postponed for 24 hours at I assume the last minute since the new hosts (Invision Community) were not ready. No certificate for the new URL and not registered yet.

I am not the site owner BUT

Now that would not inspire me with confidence for the future

New update of the earlier announcement.

UPDATE 3.15PM Friday 4th Jan

The planned migration and site downtime that had been scheduled to take place on Friday evening has now been postponed and will take place at a later date, which is to be confirmed.

Apologies for any confusion, we thank you for your continued support.

1 minute ago, bannork said:

Come on folks, time for a poll. Which will come first, the general election or the planned migration and site downtime on Thai Visa?

Difficult choice, eh?

They way it has been going it will certainly be after Brexit and possibly after the general election.

47 minutes ago, bannork said:

Come on folks, time for a poll. Which will come first, the general election or the planned migration and site downtime on Thai Visa?

Difficult choice, eh?

The decision was made due to tropical storm Pabuk hitting the south. There were complaints made about Thai Visa being down while the storm was causing problems for our members or people just looking for info.

It will likely be done early next week.

Archived