Norwegian man's death: He had prostate cancer and wanted to stop treatment, Thai media

webfact

Norwegian man's death: He had prostate cancer and wanted to stop treatment, Thai media

pa.jpg

Picture: Pattaya News

Thai media reported that the 69 year old Norwegian man found hanging from a Pattaya condominium said in a suicide note that he wanted to stop treatment for cancer. 

Pattaya News reported that he was suffering from prostate cancer. 

Part of a suicide note translated from Norwegian suggested that he wanted to stop help from tubes for breathing and feeding. 

A will has left possessions to Max Holden's Thai wife. She was in Chiang Mai at the time of his death. Police are calling it suicide. 

There had been no arguments before she left for Chiang Mai, said Pattaya News. 

Mr Holden stayed in room 2305 on the 23rd floor of Northshore Condominium in Soi 5 of Pattaya Beach Road.

He was found hanged from the top of the building on Wednesday. A selection of knives and cutters and two bloodstained chopping boards were found at the scene. 

He was earlier reported to have shot himself with a homemade gun. 

Source: Pattaya News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-15

1 minute ago, from the home of CC said:

could of been a little discrete as a last gesture,  children viewing the spectacle would be quite upset I would think.

Indeed - tragic that someone feels the need to take such measures.... But, imposing this image on the scores of innocents many of whom would be young children is plan wrong and not the legacy anyone should want to leave behind. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, connda said:

Perhaps he was making a statement?  I truly feel for this man's suffering.  I can empathize and understand.  Rest in Peace Max Holden. 
May you be free from suffering.  Sadu, sadu, sadu.

Agreed - RIP...  

But can you really understand?... you can understand why someone would hang themself of a public building for all to see the result in its fully grotesqueness?

I'm not sure the parents of the kids who saw him hanging like that can understand... 

Yes, this is an unpopular and harsh opinion juxtaposed from the usual sensitive, RIP comments... its not that I'm unsympathetic, but, if this man wished to take his life in his own home at minimal impact to others it would be tragic and many posters sentiments would be mirrored by myself, but this is not the case here. 

The deceased chose this course of action for as much publicity as possible... Its very strange, what kind of mental state does someone have to be in to act like this (rhetorical question). 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, OmarZaid said:

After medical treatment, chemo and such, many patients suffer not only depression but also mental derangement, such that they are no longer thinking in a responsible manner. The manner of his exit suggests this. Poor feller. Docs do not always mangage this properly, and many are even unaware.

As part of his treatment he will at some time, almost certainly have received Hormone Therapy.  HT has wide ranging affects on a patient's mental state and emotional state and can last for years afterwards.  That together with how other parts of his treatment may have affected his potency and general 'male feeling', will have had a severe affect on his mental well being. Having had HT, I know very well how it can affect you - thankfully I got through and out the other side.

Thankfully, HT doesn't affect everyone in the same way or we'd be hearing stories like this regularly.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, connda said:

I wonder if it would have made a difference if he had the same access to palliative medicines and hospice care as do Western nations?  Given that pathetic lack of end-of-life resources, access to palliative medicine in the amounts needed to adequately alleviate severe pain, given the seeming total lack of compassion or assistance for those at the end of their lives here in Thailand by the government, the doctors or the medical community - short of dying in agony, the only other option is checking out via suicide.  With the aging expat community, suicide to end suffering will probably become more and more commonplace. 

Whatever happened to that Great Health Insurance Scheme for FERANGS?

You know the one, intrduced by the last ELECTED THAI P.M., it worked very well. Many FERANGS dropped their Off-Shore Health Cover, in favour of the one offered here.

Not long after the last, “ELECTED PM” was DITCHED, the FERANG HEALTH CARE Facility was also DITCHED, leaving those who took the policy in Good Faith to.....HANG OUT TO DRY ! 

2 minutes ago, Torrens54 said:

Whatever happened to that Great Health Insurance Scheme for FERANGS?

You know the one, intrduced by the last ELECTED THAI P.M., it worked very well. Many FERANGS dropped their Off-Shore Health Cover, in favour of the one offered here.

Not long after the last, “ELECTED PM” was DITCHED, the FERANG HEALTH CARE Facility was also DITCHED, leaving those who took the policy in Good Faith to.....HANG OUT TO DRY ! 

I doubt that there ever was a plan to provide long term medical care to farangs with cancer.  Prostrate cancer can sometimes take 20 years to kill.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, suzannegoh said:

I doubt that there ever was a plan to provide long term medical care to farangs with cancer.  Prostrate cancer can sometimes take 20 years to kill.

correct my Dad got it aged 66 died aged 85, i plan to have it removed at 60 as my Grandad also died the same way and age.

5 minutes ago, connda said:

The deceased chose this course of action for as much publicity as possible... Its very strange, what kind of mental state does someone have to be in to act like this (rhetorical question). 

I'd mentioned it before.  Maybe he was completely lucid and making a statement.  End of life care in Thailand is virtually non-existent.  Options for dying in dignity are nil.  If that's the case, then he brought attention to something that desperately needs to have attention and action. 

• Like 1