Laminated copy of passport

Myshkin

A few years ago there was a printing and photocopy shop located 50-100 meters down (direction Loco Elvis) from the United Irish Pub on Ratwithi Road. They were also doing reduced laminated copies of passport (size of credit card, driver's licence, etc…) at a very low price. Very convenient and accepted almost everywhere as a substitute of the original passport.

Does anyone know if this shop still exists and and still does the laminated copies?

Is there any other shop closer to Nong Hoi doing this?
Thanks in advance for input.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The copy shop in Kad Suan Kaew that used to be downstairs near the escalator is operating from an island unit in the food court area on the lower level. He does exactly what you want. I have been doing the same passport thing for years and he still does the credit card size laminated copies. Had my new one done in June, but don't remember the price.

you wont need it, I got caught up in a Nigerian drug dealer crack down simply being in the wrong place wrong time. I was asked for my passport and told them it was in my room and was eventually let go without it.

just a smart phone pic will suffice unless your one of those dinosaurs who still uses a nokia dumb phone

2 hours ago, brommers said:

The copy shop in Kad Suan Kaew that used to be downstairs near the escalator is operating from an island unit in the food court area on the lower level. He does exactly what you want. I have been doing the same passport thing for years and he still does the credit card size laminated copies. Had my new one done in June, but don't remember the price.

I've used the same guy for years as well, I think the price is 40 baht, he also has a two for price.

1 hour ago, chingmai331 said:

u always carry the smartphone? kinda big and heavy ain't it, whereas a tiny laminated card is nothing

Does anybody go anywhere without their phone these days?

5 hours ago, brommers said:

Thanks for info.

6 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Does anybody go anywhere without their phone these days?

Yes down Loi Khroi etc late at night and certainly in bed if I have been lucky down there ????

Why does anyone need to have a phone available 24/7?

The phone will be the first thing stolen.  A plastic mini copy of your passport is of no interest to thieves/muggers etc, a phone is.

PS;  If you still have the plastic copy the BIB can trace you.  No phone=no ID=No trace.

6 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Yes down Loi Khroi etc late at night and certainly in bed if I have been lucky down there ????

Why does anyone need to have a phone available 24/7?

The phone will be the first thing stolen.  A plastic mini copy of your passport is of no interest to thieves/muggers etc, a phone is.

PS;  If you still have the plastic copy the BIB can trace you.  No phone=no ID=No trace.

Well my phone is password protected, encrypted and has a find me feature so its useless to a thief. And who cares if the BIB can trace you?

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Well my phone is password protected, encrypted and has a find me feature so its useless to a thief. And who cares if the BIB can trace you?

If you are taken to hospital with no Wallet or phone who will the hospital/BIB contact. 

A small piece of plastic in your shirt pocket is ideal.  Your phone (locked or not) will still get stolen and if locked and still on you is useless for anyone to identify you.

PS;  Your smart phone with all it's belts and whistles is a target for thieves etc.  A hidden piece of small plastic is not.  You do it your egotistical smartphone(ass) way I will just KISS with little bits of plastic.

11 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

If you are taken to hospital with no Wallet or phone who will the hospital/BIB contact. 

A small piece of plastic in your shirt pocket is ideal.  Your phone (locked or not) will still get stolen and if locked and still on you is useless for anyone to identify you.

PS;  Your smart phone with all it's belts and whistles is a target for thieves etc.  A hidden piece of small plastic is not.  You do it your egotistical smartphone(ass) way I will just KISS with little bits of plastic.

Wow you must live in a truly dangerous area to be left comatose with every thing you have stripped from you????????

34 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

You might consider having an emergency number tattooed on your left rear cheek... :coffee1:

51 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Does that prevent it from being stolen?  Perhaps you have a tag attached to it with that information so that potential thieves know to leave yours alone?

29 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Wow you must live in a truly dangerous area to be left comatose with every thing you have stripped from you????????

What about a car accident etc?  A smashed up phone is no use is it? 

I mentioned more than just muggings etc.  Stop being a drama queen

Why make such a song and dance over the obvious.  Plastic, if it stays on your possession will always be available to the medics, police etc.  A locked or stolen phone is no use. 

If you need your high tech at midnight, up to you.  Your smart phone is a potential target anywhere in the world. 

A simple piece of out of site plastic ID works wonders anywhere.

18 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Why make such a song and dance over the obvious.  Plastic, if it stays on your possession will always be available to the medics, police etc.  A locked or stolen phone is no use. 

If you need your high tech at midnight, up to you.  Your smart phone is a potential target anywhere in the world. 

But I have ID in my wallet. Including...gasp.....an emergency contact number in the states. Who is being the drama queen then mate? you are the one freaking out over the fact that I questioned the need for carrying a laminated passport card because I have that Info on my phone, including passport, my visa, TM30, departure card. Home many smartphones have you had stolen?. I worry more about my Camera.

28 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

But I have ID in my wallet. Including...gasp.....an emergency contact number in the states. Who is being the drama queen then mate? you are the one freaking out over the fact that I questioned the need for carrying a laminated passport card because I have that Info on my phone, including passport, my visa, TM30, departure card. Home many smartphones have you had stolen?. I worry more about my Camera.

Then why did you not say that you had the equivalent of the piece of plastic in your wallet in the first place instead of making a major production out of a tiny little problem by implying that your locked smartphone did it all if you had the "paper(s) on you after all?

I suggest y ou just stick to "now" having both your expensive phone and cheap written info.  I will stick to my always cheap and safer ways.

48 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

The only person being a drama queen here is you. 

Do you live in fear all the time or just on Thaivisa? Theft's aren't bad here and life is too short to cower in fear on the off chance that you might get mugged or in the event of an accident have your possessions stolen. 

21 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Then why did you not say that you had the equivalent of the piece of plastic in your wallet in the first place instead of making a major production out of a tiny little problem by implying that your locked smartphone did it all if you had the "paper(s) on you after all?

You just stick to "now" having both your expensive phone and cheap written info.  I will stick to my ways.

Naw dude you are the one freaking out here, all I said is why go out and make a laminated cc of your passport, visa, etc when you have all that info on your phone? Then you started getting into theives and getting my phone smashed in an accident (if Im in an accident heavy enough to smash the phone in my left front pocket, Just scoop up whats left of me and feed the eels).

Dont you carry a wallet with ID/DL and your condo card and cash and whatever?. Write your name and a contact number on a piece of paper, that way when they scoop up your steaming, torn apart bloody corpse they know who to call. Unless its soaked with blood and then your lamination idea makes sense ????

Ill give you my travel gig honed from over 40 years of travel in some pretty gnarly places. Wallet with cash, bank card, ID, Including a US C note (always have a C note or Swiss Francs) in right front leg pocket, preferably cargo pants with a zipper on the pocket. Loose change and some quick  small bill cash (here in BKK say 500-3000 baht) in a money clip in right front pocket. Phone with everything photographed in left front pocket. By the way, these days phone are finger print set, so unless I am totally macerated laarb style they can use my unconsious or lifeless finger to open my phone. And away I go! I can even go behind a dumpster or a Nana alley for a quickie and be secure! Depending where I am (not here) Browning HP IWB carry right hip, folding knife left back pocket, power bank and cord on occasion and...

Sheets of buttwipe in a plastic bag!!!!!!!

Im in Bangkok so my chances of getting robbed are less than my chances of needing buttwipe. And I dont hang with the white folk, hell I had a conversation in English this week for the first time in 60 days (except mom, but thats like are you eating, are you sick, you look fat etc). So no need to stash cash in the bottom of my shoe.

Now mind you, when all we had was flip phones I did the laminate gig just becasue you should be able to show your papers to a happy peak hat dude. That happened to me in Moscow more than once. But never here. But that was so primitive, its the 21st century! Live a little! Take that phone with you, you may need to take pics of my body laying in the road!

25 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Naw dude you are the one freaking out here, all I said is why go out and make a laminated cc of your passport, visa, etc when you have all that info on your phone? Then you started getting into theives and getting my phone smashed in an accident (if Im in an accident heavy enough to smash the phone in my left front pocket, Just scoop up whats left of me and feed the eels).

Dont you carry a wallet with ID/DL and your condo card and cash and whatever?. Write your name and a contact number on a piece of paper, that way when they scoop up your steaming, torn apart bloody corpse they know who to call. Unless its soaked with blood and then your lamination idea makes sense ????

Ill give you my travel gig honed from over 40 years of travel in some pretty gnarly places. Wallet with cash, bank card, ID, Including a US C note (always have a C note or Swiss Francs) in right front leg pocket, preferably cargo pants with a zipper on the pocket. Loose change and some quick  small bill cash (here in BKK say 500-3000 baht) in a money clip in right front pocket. Phone with everything photographed in left front pocket. By the way, these days phone are finger print set, so unless I am totally macerated laarb style they can use my unconsious or lifeless finger to open my phone. And away I go! I can even go behind a dumpster or a Nana alley for a quickie and be secure! Depending where I am (not here) Browning HP IWB carry right hip, folding knife left back pocket, power bank and cord on occasion and...

Sheets of buttwipe in a plastic bag!!!!!!!

Im in Bangkok so my chances of getting robbed are less than my chances of needing buttwipe. And I dont hang with the white folk, hell I had a conversation in English this week for the first time in 60 days (except mom, but thats like are you eating, are you sick, you look fat etc). So no need to stash cash in the bottom of my shoe.

Now mind you, when all we had was flip phones I did the laminate gig just becasue you should be able to show your papers to a happy peak hat dude. That happened to me in Moscow more than once. But never here. But that was so primitive, its the 21st century! Live a little! Take that phone with you, you may need to take pics of my body laying in the road!

And the point of this rant is what?

You appear to agree that carrying a laminate or paper form of ID is OK.  Why the attacks?

7 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

And the point of this rant is what?

You appear to agree that carrying a laminate or paper form of ID is OK.  Why the attacks?

Attacks? Dude dont take my observations on life personal. You want to carry laminated cards 70s style and no smart phone, feel free. ????

Hell I might go out and Buy a Samsung 9 now ???? 

5 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

NO.????

Just the cash and ID in various pockets!

well there ya go. You must only have a flip phone? ????

And if you dont carry a smart phone, how do you contact the ladies?

Do people really accept these credit card size passport copy?

This can be easily forged or faked with fake photos. I think the banks need the real thing to open bank accounts.

For withdrawal, I use my Thai driving license and the banks are happy with that.

My phone has on the lock screen background"Emergency Contact #####'. (Photo shopped) Just open the screen you don't have to have the password. I have a laminated emergency contact business card and a laminated passport copy.  I guess I am in quite good shape according to the childish argument going on here.   But if someone steals my phone and wallet, maybe I should consider the tattooed cheek someone suggested. ????

37 minutes ago, silverhawk_usa said:

My phone has on the lock screen background"Emergency Contact #####'. (Photo shopped) Just open the screen you don't have to have the password. I have a laminated emergency contact business card and a laminated passport copy.  I guess I am in quite good shape according to the childish argument going on here.   But if someone steals my phone and wallet, maybe I should consider the tattooed cheek someone suggested. ????

I forgot about mentioning that. Mine scrolls across my screen.

Archived