Laminated copy of passport

Myshkin

You guys can do what you like but I stay within the law and my passport is always with me.  I bet the people who were locked up for not having their passports with them during the Bangkok night club raids a couple of years back, also now carry their passports.

Thai's have to carry their ID cards so why should we be exempt? Granted, its a law that's rarely enforced and a copy is usually accepted but I'm taking no chances.  If you're caught without your passport but can get someone to go pick it up for you, its not so bad but if you're travelling solo, you're in trouble. The guys who were arrested in Bangkok in the Friday night raids were locked up for the entire weekend and I doubt Thai jails have room service.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

You guys can do what you like but I stay within the law and my passport is always with me.  I bet the people who were locked up for not having their passports with them during the Bangkok night club raids a couple of years back, also now carry their passports.

Thai's have to carry their ID cards so why should we be exempt? Granted, its a law that's rarely enforced and a copy is usually accepted but I'm taking no chances.  If you're caught without your passport but can get someone to go pick it up for you, its not so bad but if you're travelling solo, you're in trouble. The guys who were arrested in Bangkok in the Friday night raids were locked up for the entire weekend and I doubt Thai jails have room service.

I play the odds. The odds of a 64 year old sober American with pictures of all his paperwork in his phone plus US ID getting picked up in Bangkok are lower than the odds of getting my passport filched.

I carry it when I leave BKK, but even then leave it in the hotel.

whats wrong with a normal copy of your passport and the page with your visa / extension on the other side. Just fold it to the size of a credit card and put a small plastic bag over it and keep it in your wallet. No need for lamination.  You need to renew / extend your visa every year anyway so be smart and save your time.

11 minutes ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

whats wrong with a normal copy of your passport and the page with your visa / extension on the other side. Just fold it to the size of a credit card and put a small plastic bag over it and keep it in your wallet. No need for lamination.  You need to renew / extend your visa every year anyway so be smart and save your time.

It takes about 3 minutes, costs 40 baht and it's waterproof. I've even used mine at Bangkok Bank when renewing accident insurance. Plus you don't ruin your wallet. But no one is forcing anybody to do it, live free or die.

18 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Carrying an ID card is way lighter and smaller than carrying a heavy passport.

Would the police accept a Thai driving license as proof instead? 

26 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

And an eyeful of your small colon while you’re at it.

On a variety of occasions I have seen ScottieJohn with different very beautiful women giving him kind attention and respect.  The eye on the colon would seem to be yours.

40 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

On a variety of occasions I have seen ScottieJohn with different very beautiful women giving him kind attention and respect.  The eye on the colon would seem to be yours.

I myself have had, on a variety of occasions, unattractive harridans reeking of pla rah who treat me like a dirty ATM. I usually find them off my smart phone, so next time I will walk around Bangkok waving my laminate in the air to see what it catches!

Maybe Ill try giving my laminate to a Kru Khmer to see if that works ????

I myself have had, on a variety of occasions, unattractive harridans reeking of pla rah who treat me like a dirty ATM. I usually find them off my smart phone, so next time I will walk around Bangkok waving my laminate in the air to see what it catches!

Maybe Ill try giving my laminate to a Kru Khmer to see if that works [emoji846]

Won't read tv for 3-4 weeks after that.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 11/17/2018 at 6:31 AM, terminatorchiangmai said:

whats wrong with a normal copy of your passport

Its illegal, that's what's wrong with it.  Given that they appear to be checking foreigners a lot at the moment, do you want to risk a fine?

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

You consider a passport heavy?  Jeez!!

You don't just carry your passport, you must also carry our wallet with money, cards, car keys, house keys, it all adds up.

The size of a passport is just not convenient to carry around all the time.

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Its illegal, that's what's wrong with it.  Given that they appear to be checking foreigners a lot at the moment, do you want to risk a fine?

I do carry mine when I am cruising for 80 year olds down at Sanam Luang in case I get caught ????????????????????

50 minutes ago, EricTh said:

You don't just carry your passport, you must also carry our wallet with money, cards, car keys, house keys, it all adds up.

The size of a passport is just not convenient to carry around all the time.

Strange, I've carried mine on every trip for 16 years. And its with me all the time when I'm not in Thailand.

On 11/17/2018 at 6:47 AM, ramrod711 said:

It takes about 3 minutes, costs 40 baht and it's waterproof. I've even used mine at Bangkok Bank when renewing accident insurance. Plus you don't ruin your wallet. But no one is forcing anybody to do it, live free or die.

I carry one of those laminated PP copies, and a photo of it, and my visa, entry card and any extensions on my phone.

The laminated PP copy is what i use when exchanging cash at exchanges - so far never had a problem.

If the police stop me and ask for ID that's a bridge I might have to cross, but the fear of losing / getting stolen or damaging my original PP when I'm out having fun (!) makes me do what I do. So far (30 years + of visiting Thailand) so good.????

43 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Strange, I've carried mine on every trip for 16 years. And its with me all the time when I'm not in Thailand.

Where do you live? Uzbekistan?

No one in the US carries their passport.

1 hour ago, VBF said:

Nor in the UK.

Clearly not the case as I do.  Mine is kept in the rear, zipper pocket of my bum bag. I began carrying it when I first started going to Thailand and its just become a habit.  I have no reason to remove it when I'm outside Thailand and its been my saviour on several occasions- notably when I lost my bank cards and used it as ID to have cash sent to me.  I also don't have to dash about trying to remember where my passport is when I leave for the airport - I know where it is at all times. I really don't see what the hassle in carrying it is - I don't find it at all difficult. Sorry if you do.

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Clearly not the case as I do.  Mine is kept in the rear, zipper pocket of my bum bag. I began carrying it when I first started going to Thailand and its just become a habit.  I have no reason to remove it when I'm outside Thailand and its been my saviour on several occasions- notably when I lost my bank cards and used it as ID to have cash sent to me.  I also don't have to dash about trying to remember where my passport is when I leave for the airport - I know where it is at all times. I really don't see what the hassle in carrying it is - I don't find it at all difficult. Sorry if you do.

Don't be sorry - your choice to carry, mine to not.

I can remember exactly where all my important documents are at any time and carry as little as possible on my person - phone, wallet, (containing my ID) keys, loose change, spectacles (sadly)

I just hope that you never get mugged or lose your bum bag, (as you say you did your cards) which can happen anywhere in the world. I also really hope you never lose your PP in Thailand or indeed anywhere outside UK - the hassle of replacing it would be considerable. Good luck :smile:

1 hour ago, VBF said:

Don't be sorry - your choice to carry, mine to not.

I can remember exactly where all my important documents are at any time and carry as little as possible on my person - phone, wallet, (containing my ID) keys, loose change, spectacles (sadly)

I just hope that you never get mugged or lose your bum bag, (as you say you did your cards) which can happen anywhere in the world. I also really hope you never lose your PP in Thailand or indeed anywhere outside UK - the hassle of replacing it would be considerable. Good luck :smile:

I've successfully repelled 2 attempted muggings (armed) - one in the UK, the other in Barcelona.  For the time being, I am both 'streetwise' and can handle myself - I am unlikely to be mugged.  I have never and would never lose my bum bag, when I'm out its strapped to me at all times. A would be thief tried to remove my bum bag (not possible if you use the correct security) in York, UK a few years ago. I detained him until the police arrived when he made a complaint of assault against me ????. I told the police he had resisted my 'citizens arrest' - I heard nothing further. A smart pickpocket managed to relieve me of the wallet that was inside my bum bag in Siam BTS station at rush hour 5 years ago but it would be impossible for them to get to my passport. As I say, its in the rear zip pocket - against my body.  I am fully aware of its value and have not had it stolen or lost it in 16 years - its with me every day. When you travel a lot and visit travel hubs in tourist centres, you are a target and, as illustrated above, a lot of things can happen to you.

I smoke, therefore carry tobacco, a rolling tin and lighter. I wear glasses, have a wallet and have various other items that I use everyday.  I don't know how other guys get around without some sort of bag but there is nothing in mine that I can do without. Having my passport with me causes no additional problems.

The law in Thailand is that you should have your passport available at all times.  Although the Thai police are unlikely to prosecute you for not having it with you, I've had them turn on me before when I've called their bluff over spurious 'speeding offences' - I'm not going to help them carry out their corrupt actions. Further, I was in Bed Supper Club when it was raided a few years ago. If I'd not had my passport with me at that time I'd have joined the other foreigners they locked up that night. I'll continue carrying my passport thank you.

3 hours ago, VBF said:

Less is more I say. I hate carrying things I have to wonder about. Did I lose my passport? Where are my keys? Where are my glasses? (on the top of my head)

I can barely function with what little I carry. Ive shown up in airports with a pistol in my pocket, left my glasses in public bathrooms, and found $500 in folded Cs in one of those little jeans mini pockets after 6 washings. Passport stays home.

21 minutes ago, steven2018 said:

Anyone use the U.S. Passport Card as a backup id?

I have one but only use it in the states. never showed it here. the number is different than on your Passport IIRC

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Whats a bum bag? Is that like what we call a fanny pack or geek pouch or codger wallet?

Yup! 

In Uk "bum" is what Americans refer to as "ass", hence "bum bag". As for "fanny pack"....only ladies have them! ????

Oh and I wasn't sure whether to react to your post #53 with a "Thanks" or a "Ha Ha" ????

@KhaoYai If i ever need a minder, I'll give you a call.....meanwhile my PP stays in the safe....thank you, and thanks for your life story. ????

Oh and the law in Thailand is that you should have your passport available at all times, so if i'm staying in Pattaya, mine is locked in the hotel room safe, not on my possibly drunken, careless person. To me, the risk of losing or damaging it is greater than the risk of having to fetch it - pretty much as I said before.

To each his own.

7 hours ago, stillhereandlovinit said:

Just get a pink Thai/farang ID card. The Police just say OK on the 2 occasions I have been asked at roadblocks.

Available for around 60 b at your Amphur Office.Have used at resorts for check in and national parks  ,saved me 450 b at Fang Hot Springs, paid Thai price 50 baht. Havent used for ID with police haven't need to ....yet...nice to know

9 hours ago, VBF said:

In Uk "bum" is what Americans refer to as "ass", hence "bum bag". As for "fanny pack"....only ladies have them!

Totally unfashionable. Id rather lose my passport or get arrested rather than caught dead in one. A man has his limits.

Archived