Northem part visit

jphasia

I will be going to Chang Mai next week on leisure trip with my wife and my son.

We have not yet define what we want to see and where we want to go.

Actually, to give you a better idea on our profile and the advises I am looking for:

We live in Phuket. My wife is Thai. We will be landing in Changmai on 21 afternoon from Yangon and we will flight back to Yangon from Changmai on 25 noon. I booked a car in Changmai airport for this duration. I am familiar with Thailand as I live here for 25 years.

Last year, we made a similar trip with my wife, landing in Chang mai, booked a car in airport. That time, we enjoyed Chang mai city, then Doi Suthep and Doi Inthanon. Our trip was nice, relaxing, no rush.

This time, instead, we are considering further. We have in mind Mae Rim, Pai and Mae Hong Son. Of course, when we are looking at these place on internet, we are considering to do that. Get the car in Changmai, go straight to Mae Rim, sleep there. Next next day go to Pai, sleep and enjoy there, then Mae Hong Son. But we don't to rush and only spend our time in the car. As we are landing on 21 afternoon, and flying back on 25 noon, we are considering that 21 and 25 are dead already, so that leave only 22, 23 and 24, only 3 full days. And going to these 3 places including driving time might be too short. So instead, we are considering to either go to Pai only and enjoy there and back to Changmai or maybe straight to Mae Hong Son without stopping in Pai. Or anything else.

I believe some of view are familiar with this region and we are open to recommendations... our interest is mostly the scenery, going around but no rush.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

If you are going as far as MHS - then I hope you will be flying back to CM - - find a cite that lists driving time and make oyur decision... the road to Pai is quite winding. You might also look at going the other way and checking out Chiang Rai... or Lampang/Phayao...

If I had a car I would do the following places...
Chang Dao
Pai
Lod Cave
Mae Hong Son
Doi Inthanon

Personally I think Mae Rim is too touristy... If you stay there I would stay up in Mon Cham... We’ve stayed here in the past... http://www.monviewngarm.com/ม่อนวิวงาม-ราคา.html
Thanks. I just had a look on internet. Chang Dao looks nice and not too far from Chang Mai. I believe we can have the first night in Chang Mai then head to Chang Dao the next day in the morning.
Doi Inthanon. Been there last year so not in our list for now

If you are going as far as MHS - then I hope you will be flying back to CM - - find a cite that lists driving time and make oyur decision... the road to Pai is quite winding. You might also look at going the other way and checking out Chiang Rai... or Lampang/Phayao...
Yes that's our concerns. Maybe too much time in the car and no much time to rest. So I am now considering to skip MHS this time. Based on comment above, we are also considering Chang Dao which seems not too far from Changmai, then after head to Pai and back to Changmai.
We have been considering others routes such as Changrai but decided to focus on Pai, MHS area

• Like 1

First of all this will be a very very busy time in Chiang Mai City with Yi Peng going on from 21-23.

Just did the trip on a motorbike - Chiang Mai - Pai - overnight in Pai on to Mae Hong Son - overnight there - then on the 108 to Mae Sariang - overnight by the river - very nice and relaxed - and then a beautiful scenic drive on the 108 to Chiang Mai.

The Mae Sariang - Hod drive is ok for the first part but because of the heavy trucks before reaching Hod the road is not so good in some parts but manageable.

The reality hits one after a few days of beautiful scenic drive when closing in to the city with the horrific traffic which will undoubtably be much worse next week with the holidays coming up.

Otherwise a beautiful trip you can check out the road conditions on video here -sorry some is just raw footage taken during the ride ...

[/url]

https://youtu.be/P-M8A4WuPig

[/url] 

• Like 1

Thanks both for your inputs and thanks for the video.
I think we will stick on Chang Dao / Pai. Should be nice and no rush for this short break.
How is the weather expected at that period over there? Very cold in the night?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jphasia said:

Yes that's our concerns. Maybe too much time in the car and no much time to rest. So I am now considering to skip MHS this time. Based on comment above, we are also considering Chang Dao which seems not too far from Changmai, then after head to Pai and back to Changmai.
We have been considering others routes such as Changrai but decided to focus on Pai, MHS area

I have not been in many years, but heard that Pai is very touristy... I might try 3 hour drive to CR, stop at the white temple on the way and then the next day up to the Golden Triangle, Opium Museum is wonderful, then drive back to CM... With just 3 days, that is not a lot of time. 

If you got to MHS, that would be interesting, but to make it just Pai - eh... Chiang Dao is nice near the caves, the rest has nothing much to offer... 

• Like 1

Go to Chiang Rai...See the White Temple, The Black House, The Queen Mother's gardens.....Go on to see the Golden Triangle....

That will give you a couple of days enjoyment without wandering too many serpentine, narrow roads....Lot's of Inns along the way.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jphasia said:

Thanks both for your inputs and thanks for the video.
I think we will stick on Chang Dao / Pai. Should be nice and no rush for this short break.
How is the weather expected at that period over there? Very cold in the night?

sounds like best route for relaxed 3 days.  any route going to MHSong would add a lot of driving.  Nice weather now....cool nights.  Occasionally can be cold...depends.

Edited by rumak
  • Like 2

Here is a video from my trip

Yesterday - I know it will be unbelievable busy during Loy Krathong and new year - but Mon Chaem is not really far from the city and staying overnight there in tents or the bungalows is certainly an adventure - plenty of cafes there as well and food can be ordered in most places until 9 or 10PM.

Strawberries on sale all the way up on the road side.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

If 3 days only 1 night in Chiangrai,  then down to Payao for a night, then Lampang for a 3rd night would

be my recommendation.   ( i think this couple is not into trekking and white water rafting...more like a

leisurely drive,  seeing a new town, and taking it slow)  ,   

Pai is for younger set (IMO) and pretty touristy .  But some like it.

• Like 1

Hello,

Chiang Dao can be a good choice if you want a quiet place without too many tourists. Here are some nice places to visit around CD :

- The cave (a must for all Thais visiting)

Hot spring with Karen village 

Arunothai (to eat Gyozas) - also called Chinese village

Vieng Hang for the road, scenery and you can do a loop with Arunothai

- Doi Ang Kran - royal project for fruits development (with also flowers, bonzai, cactus... very nice place). Beautiful road to get there trough Arunothai. Can also make a loop if you go back down towards Fang. The loop with a stop for Gyoza and taking time in Doi Ang Kran and back CD will take a day.

Many if not all small villages you will drive through are either Karen, Lisu, Hmong or Thai Yai ethnies. 

Don't hesitate if you have other questions on CD

• Like 1

You said that you plan on spending the first night in Mae Rim.  Stay one more night and see this on the night of the 22nd in Mae Rim:  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293917-d8820428-Reviews-Yi_Peng_and_Loy_Krathong_Lantern_Festival-Chiang_Mai.html 

Then on the 23rd in Chiang Mai there will be the Loy Krathong parade. 

• Like 1

Here is a video from my trip
Yesterday - I know it will be unbelievable busy during Loy Krathong and new year - but Mon Chaem is not really far from the city and staying overnight there in tents or the bungalows is certainly an adventure - plenty of cafes there as well and food can be ordered in most places until 9 or 10PM.
Strawberries on sale all the way up on the road side.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Wow. That look good. Will look into it with more details.
Thanks for the video. Beautiful!

• Like 1

If 3 days only 1 night in Chiangrai,  then down to Payao for a night, then Lampang for a 3rd night would
be my recommendation.   ( i think this couple is not into trekking and white water rafting...more like a
leisurely drive,  seeing a new town, and taking it slow)  ,   
Pai is for younger set (IMO) and pretty touristy .  But some like it.

Correct. We will be a couple with our 19 years old son. Not looking for trekking. More leisury drive, going around...

You said that you plan on spending the first night in Mae Rim.  Stay one more night and see this on the night of the 22nd in Mae Rim:  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293917-d8820428-Reviews-Yi_Peng_and_Loy_Krathong_Lantern_Festival-Chiang_Mai.html 
Then on the 23rd in Chiang Mai there will be the Loy Krathong parade. 

Thanks. We are not focussing on the Loy Kratong parade and parties. Been in Thailand too long already and seen quite a lot.

These are nice drives between CM to Pai to Mae Hong Son.

Google maps reckons CM to Pai is +2hrs. I remember it being longer. Don’t listen to the nonsense negative comments about Pai; it’s a lovely little town (very small). It is full of young backpackers but it has a nice atmosphere. Very quiet sleepy day time, the walking street comes alive night time and it’s very enjoyable. We stayed at The Quarter next to the hospital and would recommend it – about 5 minute walk to walking street.

Google maps reckons Pai to MHS is +2hrs. I remember it being longer. We really liked MHS. We stayed at The Imperial which is a grand old hotel. About half way is Lod Cave, Tambon Tham Lot, Amphoe Pang Mapha – great big cave you go through on a raft.

Google maps reckons MHS to Mae Sariang is +3hrs. I remember it being longer. We really liked Mae Sariang and really regret only staying one night. We stayed at Riverside Guesthouse . On the way stop at Khun Yuan.

Haven’t done the MHS to CM route as we drove Mae Sot – MHS.

Should you go say to lampang and Sukhothai, go also to Si Satchanalai which I prefer). The Sukhothai airport hotel is a great place to stay and half way between Sukhothai and Si Satchanalai .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These are nice drives between CM to Pai to Mae Hong Son.

Google maps reckons CM to Pai is +2hrs. I remember it being longer. Don’t listen to the nonsense negative comments about Pai; it’s a lovely little town (very small). It is full of young backpackers but it has a nice atmosphere. Very quiet sleepy day time, the walking street comes alive night time and it’s very enjoyable. We stayed at The Quarter next to the hospital and would recommend it – about 5 minute walk to walking street.

Google maps reckons Pai to MHS is +2hrs. I remember it being longer. We really liked MHS. We stayed at The Imperial which is a grand old hotel. About half way is Lod Cave, Tambon Tham Lot, Amphoe Pang Mapha – great big cave you go through on a raft.

Google maps reckons MHS to Mae Sariang is +3hrs. I remember it being longer. We really liked Mae Sariang and really regret only staying one night. We stayed at Riverside Guesthouse . On the way stop at Khun Yuan.

Haven’t done the MHS to CM route as we drove Mae Sot – MHS.

Should you go say to lampang and Sukhothai, go also to Si Satchanalai which I prefer). The Sukhothai airport hotel is a great place to stay and half way between Sukhothai and Si Satchanalai .

Thanks a lot for your details feedback. Very helpfull.
About Pai. Yes, i might here good and bad about it but anyway I want to see it. In fact, i have been there, including MHS more than 25 years ago when i came to Thailand the first few years. Haven't been back there since.

Hi Jph,

I'm sorry but i can't recommend the tour you wanna do in just that short time. I have done that partialy this year and you will miss out so much more then some say inhere. I used 12 days driving from CM to CR over MS and MHS, Chiang Dao and Fang and still not see everything.

First of all the ride to MHS takes between 5 and 6h (and believe me it will take you that long even when you look only at the distance and you can't believe it). So even you wanna do it in steps going there, the last day you will need to drive back all the way.

I would suggest spend this time in Chiang Rai. If you can change the flights and fly there straigh away just do it or take the ride  between CM and CR ( just about 1.5-2h).

And even 3 days is already short for CR only i think you will see and enjoy alot more.

• Like 1

Hi Jph,

I'm sorry but i can't recommend the tour you wanna do in just that short time. I have done that partialy this year and you will miss out so much more then some say inhere. I used 12 days driving from CM to CR over MS and MHS, Chiang Dao and Fang and still not see everything.

First of all the ride to MHS takes between 5 and 6h (and believe me it will take you that long even when you look only at the distance and you can't believe it). So even you wanna do it in steps going there, the last day you will need to drive back all the way.

I would suggest spend this time in Chiang Rai. If you can change the flights and fly there straigh away just do it or take the ride  between CM and CR ( just about 1.5-2h).
And even 3 days is already short for CR only i think you will see and enjoy alot more.
I think I will stick to Chiang Dao, Pai and back to Chiangmai. That should be enough for these few days.

wanted to delete my first post as you don't seem to have read it but this wonderful website doesn't allow it.

You should stick to Pai as Chiang Dao and Pai are similar and when you only have 3 full days it is stupid to do that much car driving. Go to one place and enjoy it. CD to Pai is about 6h drive (can make it in 4 if people don't through up in the car and that you are used to roads like in the Alps).

Dont ask me further questions and dont thank me. Go to Pai

• Like 1

wanted to delete my first post as you don't seem to have read it but this wonderful website doesn't allow it.

You should stick to Pai as Chiang Dao and Pai are similar and when you only have 3 full days it is stupid to do that much car driving. Go to one place and enjoy it. CD to Pai is about 6h drive (can make it in 4 if people don't through up in the car and that you are used to roads like in the Alps).

Dont ask me further questions and dont thank me. Go to Pai
Yes, sorry I missed you first post! But after reconsidering again and again and worried that hotels might be full soon next week due to Loi Kratong, I have finally decided to:
- spend our first night (21) in Changmai. We are landing in the afternoon, immigration, getting car... will check in Changmai hotel and enjoy a nice and relaxing evening in Changmai.
- will drive to Pai on 22 morning and booked 2 nights there.
- will leave Pai on 24 noon back to Changmai and spend another relaxing night there
- going back to Yangon on 25 noon.
Should be relaxing, no rush for these few days.

17 hours ago, sfokevin said:

If I had a car I would do the following places...

Chang Dao

Pai

Lod Cave

Mae Hong Son

Doi Inthanon

Personally I think Mae Rim is too touristy... If you stay there I would stay up in Mon Cham... We’ve stayed here in the past... http://www.monviewngarm.com/ม่อนวิวงาม-ราคา.html

Love those A frame houses...would like to live a simple life in one....might go check those out