Nexium and Motilium helped you cure your stomach inflammation ? What else can help ?

overc

What are your symptoms, or are you simply doing preventative maintenance? FWIW my experience is that most stomach problems result from diet or lifestyle, alcohol causes inflammation and excess acid, fatty and spicy foods ditto, changing those things will help a lot rather than trying to find the right meds. to take without changing anything else. And, a gastroscopy is a useful (and painless) way to check out the upper GI, not expensive and widely available.

Interesting that the OP lumps Nexium and Motilium together, since they have very different purposes.  One reduces acid reflux and the other (mostly) reduces nausea.

And though lifestyle changes may reduce GERD, it may take years to dial in the right lifestyle.  And often it's a lifestyle that cannot be reasonably achieved in real life, especially where you have very little control over what they put in your food.  For example, when I'm working offshore, I eat what they put in front of me.  Or I go hungry.

I take Omeprazole for GERD (in Thailand, brand name Miracid worked most reliably for me).   20mg once a day.  It takes hours to kick in the first time.  But once it does, problem solved as long as I take one every morning.

BTW, I tried Motilium for my GERD.  Didn't work nearly as well as Miracid.

And in the Omeprazole, Nexium debate, I come down on this side of this article, when Miracid is about 5 baht a dose and Nexium is ???: 

https://www.denialism.com/2012/01/09/why-no-one-should-take-nexium/

I have been a moderate but regular Beer-Drinker during all of my adult life. But during my many holidays in Thailand I have noticed, that Thai-Beers do not seem to agree with my stomach, and I am by far not the only one. Over the counter medicine brings no relief. Back in my home country, those stomach-disorders always disappear within days.
In a hot climate, (with the cooling chain broken several times) Beer needs some "additives/stabilizers" to remain drinkable for any lenght of time. I tend to blame "additives" for my stomach-disruptions contained in Thai-Beer, especially as there is a clear pattern in place. Thai-Beer =stomach problems. Beer consumed in my home-country = no stomach problems at all.

Possibly this same scenario applies to the OP and many others. Blaming it on "unpure" drinking water, or "street-food" that has been on the grill more than once.
I would not have commented on this as it appears somewhat "off topic". But as this phenomenon seems to affect a surprisingly large number of Farang Holidaymakers, maybe worth a discussion.

2 minutes ago, swissie said:

I have been a moderate but regular Beer-Drinker during all of my adult life. But during my many holidays in Thailand I have noticed, that Thai-Beers do not seem to agree with my stomach, and I am by far not the only one. Over the counter medicine brings no relief. Back in my home country, those stomach-disorders always disappear within days.
In a hot climate, (with the cooling chain broken several times) Beer needs some "additives/stabilizers" to remain drinkable for any lenght of time. I tend to blame "additives" for my stomach-disruptions contained in Thai-Beer, especially as there is a clear pattern in place. Thai-Beer =stomach problems. Beer consumed in my home-country = no stomach problems at all.

Possibly this same scenario applies to the OP and many others. Blaming it on "unpure" drinking water, or "street-food" that has been on the grill more than once.
I would not have commented on this as it appears somewhat "off topic". But as this phenomenon seems to affect a surprisingly large number of Farang Holidaymakers, maybe worth a discussion.

+1

But I would add that I cannot drink red wine in Thailand for the same reasons yet I have no problem doing so in the UK. To a certain extent the same is true of fried food in Thailand causing stomach problems whereas in the UK not so. All of which makes me think the issue is perhaps heat related or perhaps something to do with the speed with metabolism in a hot climate.

"stomach inflammation" can be several different things. And from another post in another thread it sounds like OP has GERD which is not a stomach inflammation at all.

Actual inflammation of the lining if the stomach (gastritis) is most often due to the bacetria h. pylori and requires specific treatment with multiple drugs to eradicate the organism, followed by a period of treatment with a PPI (like nexium or omeprazole) to help the gastric mucosa heal. But I am no at all sure this is what you have.

Endoscopy can diagnose or rule our gastritis as well as test for h. pylori.  There are also some less invasive tests for h. pylori.

GERD is a ottally different condition, different causes.

I have had gastritis now for 4 years and got the endoscope that told me I had no Bacteria H . Pylori and have done just about all the treatments that can be done like taking   60 mg lansoprazole (Prevacid,  to start with for a short time as they are way to expensive and did not help that much.  I changed to Mracid omeprazole 20 mg a day and tried to change my lifesyle as to my diet and for 4 years it has not worked very well. The last few weeks i have now taken 40 mg of Mracid in the morning and i also take oral Gastro Bismol 2 table spoons twice a day before meals my indigestion symptoms are much better per month and the severity of the attacks are a lot better. I also use some supplements to help like doctors best pepzinGI zinc-l camosine complex that helps the stomach lining Slippery Elm that also aids the stomach lining and i take DGL Ultra Licorice to help in my episodes. last but not least Cur cumin to help reduce inflammation. Also omega 3 fish oil capsules,  I don't smoke or drink i eat very healthy low acidic foods lots of probotics with fresh fruits and veg some chicken and eggs some fish the olive oil i fry with so for me it is a con tuned battle with this disease and is very hard to heal the best I can do is keep the symptoms as low as possible. 

regards 

scotsman       

Archived