THAI wins catering contract for interprovincial buses

rooster59

THAI wins catering contract for interprovincial buses

supawadee wangsri

Thai-Airways-Logo-Vector-Image.png

BANGKOK, 16 November 2018 (NNT) - Thai Airways International (THAI) will provide food, dessert and beverages for passengers on board first-class interprovincial buses operated by state-run Transport Co for three years. 

Executives of both state enterprises signed the catering service agreement at the Transport Co office on Friday. It will start on December 1. 

Jirasak Yaowatsakul, managing director of Transport Co, said THAI was among seven contenders and won the contract with a quote of 333.85 million baht, about 65 million baht below the allocated budget. 

Wiwat Piyawirote, acting vice president of THAI, said food and snacks served aboard interprovincial buses would be localized to represent famous foods from various regions along the Transport Co's bus routes. 

It would be of the same standard as food served on board THAI flights. The food would also meet halal standards, he said.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-11-17

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

If Thai's in-flight catering is anything to go by than it is not something to look forward too, although it will be an improvements on what they're dishing out now...

That wrap thing on domestic ugh! although a recent short hop to Singapore wasn't bad, they even gave me a drink!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

If Thai's in-flight catering is anything to go by than it is not something to look forward too, although it will be an improvements on what they're dishing out now...

Yeah, a cookie, a glass of water and a cup of instant coffee is what I usually get for my 8 hour rides with the Transport Company so anything will be an improvement!!!

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

And if i do not want Halal food??????

Maybe ideal on buses to and from the deep south but Bangkok to Khon Kaen? Will there be a menu to chose from and will you be able to book special dietary needs in advance. However the Thais will eat almost anything. 

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

Unfortunately I do not think we have much choice anymore.

So how would I know (or really care) whether the ham in my sandwich came from a pig which was stunned before being humanely killed, or just had its throat slit and a bit of the Koran was read for it.. And similarly how would a Muslim know the other way round...not a pig though?

Edited by wgdanson

When we travel from Bangkok to Tak, they serve water and cakes or biscuits and we stop half way and get a hot meal. Get more than enough food for a 6 hour journey.  Why do people want to eat a lot when sitting still ? e.g. on a plane, bus or at the cinema. And as for on a cruise ship ! Its like an eating competition for the duration, cos its all free !!!!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wgdanson said:

And if i do not want Halal food??????

I doubt they are much concerned about the fraction of a % foreigners that use inter-provincial buses.

But they probably are about the potential 2,227,613 Thai Muslim customers.

I can't see other Thai people troubling themselves if the food is Halal or not

Take sandwiches?

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

One could almost extend this critique towards all airline dining quality. 

Never universally developed as some might have likened it to be so.

If it is the same crap as being served domestically on TG and WE then I wish all those hungry guests good luck. Tasteless blue sandwiches with some undefinable spread, plastic foil wrapped in a small cardboard box and the lash being affixed with a scotch tape. This box, together with a small bottle of RO water by Chang, a paper napkin, refreshment towelette and a tooth pick being packed in a rather rigid paper bag with string handles. An environmental disaster befitting the content of the food box. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 10:03 AM, rooster59 said:

Thai Airways International (THAI) will provide food, dessert and beverages for passengers on board first-class interprovincial buses operated by state-run Transport Co for three years. 

State-run entity providing food for another state-run entity.

Any surprise?

2 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

If it is the same crap as being served domestically on TG and WE then I wish all those hungry guests good luck. Tasteless blue sandwiches with some undefinable spread, plastic foil wrapped in a small cardboard box and the lash being affixed with a scotch tape. This box, together with a small bottle of RO water by Chang, a paper napkin, refreshment towelette and a tooth pick being packed in a rather rigid paper bag with string handles. An environmental disaster befitting the content of the food box. 

So what would you expect on a 50 minute domestic flight where they may have 15 minutes to get everything served and then collected again?  Fine dining?  

Seriously, a domestic flight is so short, what do you really expect?  

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 7:59 PM, jaiyen said:

When we travel from Bangkok to Tak, they serve water and cakes or biscuits and we stop half way and get a hot meal. Get more than enough food for a 6 hour journey.  Why do people want to eat a lot when sitting still ? e.g. on a plane, bus or at the cinema. And as for on a cruise ship ! Its like an eating competition for the duration, cos its all free !!!!!!

I have to agree. I wouldn't even consider eating food that's been simmering in a hot bus for hours. Great way to get sick. Plus, the dangerous way the buses are driven also turns me off from eating on them. 

In Thailand, one is never more than a couple hundred meters from edible food stalls or shops, so little need to eat in a bus. 

On 11/19/2018 at 12:05 AM, josephbloggs said:

So what would you expect on a 50 minute domestic flight where they may have 15 minutes to get everything served and then collected again?  Fine dining?  

Seriously, a domestic flight is so short, what do you really expect?  

Exactly, that is my point. I would assume that every passenger, irrespective of time of flight, can be without food for an hour (give in 90 minutes with pre-/post boarding). If they would hand out plastic cups and serve plain drinking water from bottles and collect the cups just before landing it would be more than enough - and they would save zillions. But I am not too sure, if Khon Thai can be without food for an extended period of, say, 90 minutes ???? 

14 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Exactly, that is my point. I would assume that every passenger, irrespective of time of flight, can be without food for an hour (give in 90 minutes with pre-/post boarding). If they would hand out plastic cups and serve plain drinking water from bottles and collect the cups just before landing it would be more than enough - and they would save zillions. But I am not too sure, if Khon Thai can be without food for an extended period of, say, 90 minutes ???? 

Ah yes, I see what you are getting at, and I think you're right.  ????

I think they feel they need to include some kind of "meal" to avoid being bracketed as a Low Cost Airline.

• Like 1