Democrat Gillum concedes Florida governor's race, congratulates DeSantis

rooster59

Democrat Gillum concedes Florida governor's race, congratulates DeSantis

800x800 (8).jpg

Democratic Florida gubernatorial nominee and Tallahassee Mayor Andrew Gillum concedes the race to U.S. Rep. Ron DeSantis at his midterm election night rally in Tallahassee, Florida, U.S. November 6, 2018. REUTERS/Colin Hackley

(Reuters) - Democrat Andrew Gillum, who had sought to become Florida's first black governor, conceded on Saturday as a recount of ballots neared its end, and he congratulated rival Republican Ron DeSantis, an ally of President Donald Trump.

Gillum, the liberal mayor of Tallahassee, had initially conceded the race to DeSantis, a conservative former congressman. But Gillum later withdrew that concession when the results were close enough for an automatic recount.

On Saturday, he said that process was drawing to a close.

"This has been the journey of our lives. We've been so honoured by the support that we've received," Gillum said in a video statement. "Stay tuned, there will be more to come. This fight for Florida continues."

DeSantis said on Twitter, “This was a hard-fought campaign. Now it’s time to bring Florida together.”

After Gillum initially conceded the contest on election night, his subsequent calls for every vote to be counted echoed similar appeals from fellow Democrat U.S. Senator Bill Nelson.

A recount is continuing in the race between Nelson and his challenger for the Senate seat, outgoing Republican Governor Rick Scott.

That recount has become the subject of an intense political battle with Republicans including Trump claiming without evidence that the process was marred by fraud.

Both parties and their supporters filed multiple lawsuits challenging the process, with Republicans urging a strict standard on which votes were counted while Democrats contested rules that they saw as disenfranchising voters.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-11-18

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Putting asside he threat and risks of hacking, it’s not simply the voting mechanism that is at fault.

The GOP have committed multiple level gerrymandering ranging from fixing electorate boundaries, de registering voters, placing restrictions in the way of voter registration, closing voting centers, placing voting centers in hard to access location, intimidation of voters queuing to vote and much more.

Tackling Gerrymandering is going to be front and center in the run up to the 2020 elections.

Enjoy.

But that is political machinations. I am talking about the simple act of choosing and having your choices recorded and tallied.

Today I learned that scientists have successfully loaded code of an animated sequence into the DNA of a bacteria and then had it replicated in the DNA and the animation was nearly perfect.

If we are at this level of tech, what the heck is going on with this thousands year old concept of recording votes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

But that is political machinations. I am talking about the simple act of choosing and having your choices recorded and tallied.

Today I learned that scientists have successfully loaded code of an animated sequence into the DNA of a bacteria and then had it replicated in the DNA and the animation was nearly perfect.

If we are at this level of tech, what the heck is going on with this thousands year old concept of recording votes.

Guess what.

Really clever people design voting machines using all manner of computer science and technology.

Other really clever people hack voting machines.

And then some politically motivated people make sure they have a say in how voting machines are designed and programmed.

https://news.sky.com/story/ivanka-trump-granted-trademark-for-voting-machines-in-china-11546396

Paper Ballots Now!

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Putting asside he threat and risks of hacking, it’s not simply the voting mechanism that is at fault.

The GOP have committed multiple level gerrymandering ranging from fixing electorate boundaries, de registering voters, placing restrictions in the way of voter registration, closing voting centers, placing voting centers in hard to access location, intimidation of voters queuing to vote and much more.

Tackling Gerrymandering is going to be front and center in the run up to the 2020 elections.

Enjoy.

Gerrymandering is employed by both parties (look at California) and in my opinion should be outlawed. (I believe Iowa or a nearby midwestern state has already done this.) By creating artificially homogenous political areas, it’s largely responsible for some of the more extreme/polarized political representatives (candidates don’t need to tack to the center in gerrymandered districts). 

The he problem is, with the advent of better and more sophisticated polling/sampling techniques, combined with highly accurate and sophisticated data analytics (especially with analytics the last 10 years) the effects of Gerrymandering have become much more deleterious to the body politic.

8 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

One would think that in our high tech world someone would have cracked the foolproof, automatically tabulated voting system.

That "someone" lives in Moscow and he refuses to give up his secret hacking technique to Mr Mueller. ????

6 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I wrote to my Secretary of State regarding absentee voting.  That was after I received my Primary Ballot for the 2016 election - two months ago.  <laughs> I thought it was the ballot for the mid-terms. 
My thoughts basically were that we are a bit disenfranchised when our votes are counted at the whims of the US Post Office and the local postal service.  I don't have a lot of problems with the Thai postal service.  Registered mail that I send out and track usually leaves Thailand within 48 hours when sent from Northern Thailand.  It's about the same for registered mail that I receive - 48 hours to clear customs, clear Bangkok, and clear Lamphun, and hit my mailbox.  Now registered mail that I've tracked through the USPS.  Lord!  It took a full month to transit a registered letter from its arrival in New York to Wilkes-Barr, PA.  Average transit time for mail sent from my residence in Washington to transit the West Coast and leave LAX is 10 days to two weeks. Then 48 hours or less to get from Old Swampy to my mail box in Thailand.
So my suggestion to the Secretary of State?  Digital signature / encryption technology is mature technology.  I can digitally sign a ballot and it's going to be tough to hack it.  The ballots can be sent via SSL to be a server in my state to be counted.  But no!.  They won't consider it.  "Too vulnerable" they say.  If it's so insecure that it can't be used for voting, than how do banks, brokerages, and retailers manage to use it?  I doubt they'll even investigate blockchain technology for absentee voting.  So -  we're held hostage by the US Postal Service.  It's always a coin-flip as to whether my ballot's going to be counted.  Made it this year.  In 2020, who knows?

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Guess what.

Really clever people design voting machines using all manner of computer science and technology.

Other really clever people hack voting machines.

And then some politically motivated people make sure they have a say in how voting machines are designed and programmed.

https://news.sky.com/story/ivanka-trump-granted-trademark-for-voting-machines-in-china-11546396

Paper Ballots Now!

Actually I thought it was more like really clever people design voting machines using all manner of computer science and technology so that they can be hacked - by the right people. 

Actually, Blockchain Now!  Ditch the voting machines.  They're designed to be hacked.