Pink card park access

Olmy

13 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

They just can’t charge 40 baht Thai and 80 Baht non Thai , these places need more money to survive ( and many would still complain ).

When looking at the number of foreigners i see in national parks i would estimate (of course this is completely subjective) that if the parks charged 45 instead of 40 THB for every national in the end of the day they would have the same income and 5 THB more wouldn't stop anybody from visiting. Maybe in the end they even had more money because more foreigners would visit.

And actually it would be quite easy for them to make a much fairer payment system: Increase the cost per vehicle. Poor people arrive with 10 people on a pickup or 3 on a motorbike, richer people arrive with two people in a car. My suggestion would be: Free entry for everybody, and something in the region of 200-400 THB for a car and 50-100 THB for a motorbike (The parks where people don't have to drive arround inside do obviously have to stick with payment per person)

46 minutes ago, dinga said:

Rubbish.  Somethings are right, some are not.  You can make your choice - I'll make mine (got FA to do with being "cheap").  

No you just sound like an angry old man stuck on principles when they are not always important. Forget about the cheap part. You are really just punishing yourself after a policy you KNOW has been in place here for a long time. Most Thais could not afford 400 baht entrance fees. These parks do need Thais to survive and they need to charge less to them. You can go to these places and let your principles NOT get in the way and have a lovely day with your Thai friends or family or whoever you wish. Look at 400 baht as an investment in the future of solidifying nice times with them. It’s not about YOU and YOUR feelings or beliefs. 

So many people can justify going out and spending 1000 baht at a bar and feel it’s a good time out. Wouldn’t you rather spend 60% less and go to a great national park for the day? 

You would have an extra 600 baht to do as you wish. 

You can also look at 400 baht plus 40 baht as 440 baht total. What a cheap date for 2 people to have and see nice nature at just 220 baht each!!  It’s so easy to change your thoughts to the glass is half full. Just do it !!  You are probably a nice person letting some stupid math get in the way. 

Edited by alex8912
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, jackdd said:

When looking at the number of foreigners i see in national parks i would estimate (of course this is completely subjective) that if the parks charged 45 instead of 40 THB for every national in the end of the day they would have the same income and 5 THB more wouldn't stop anybody from visiting. Maybe in the end they even had more money because more foreigners would visit.

And actually it would be quite easy for them to make a much fairer payment system: Increase the cost per vehicle. Poor people arrive with 10 people on a pickup or 3 on a motorbike, richer people arrive with two people in a car. My suggestion would be: Free entry for everybody, and something in the region of 200-400 THB for a car and 50-100 THB for a motorbike (The parks where people don't have to drive arround inside do obviously have to stick with payment per person)

What would happen if 4 dirty foreigners show up in a bike or 10 in a truck?? 

20 hours ago, 007 RED said:

This time last year Mrs MoneyBaht and I went to Erawan Waterfalls in Kanchanaburi province.  As we approached the entrance gatehouse there was a large notice in both Thai and English advising that there were new regulations regarding entrance fees and that foreigners who produced Thai driving licence were no longer eligible for entry at the Thai rates.

I smiled nicely to the gatekeeper, showed him my ‘pink’ card and asked (in Thai) if the card qualified me for entrance at the Thai rate.  He smiled back and said no problem and issued me with three tickets (one for the car) at the Thai rate.  We had a nice day there.

I remember walking the trail to the falls at that park and after rounding a corner in the trail, there appeared a booth on the side of said trail with a Carlsberg beer sign. They were serving Carlsberg on tap to any thirsty trekkers like us. Those were the good ol days in Thailand.

2 hours ago, alex8912 said:

No you just sound like an angry old man stuck on principles when they are not always important. Forget about the cheap part. You are really just punishing yourself after a policy you KNOW has been in place here for a long time. Most Thais could not afford 400 baht entrance fees. These parks do need Thais to survive and they need to charge less to them. You can go to these places and let your principles NOT get in the way and have a lovely day with your Thai friends or family or whoever you wish. Look at 400 baht as an investment in the future of solidifying nice times with them. It’s not about YOU and YOUR feelings or beliefs. 

So many people can justify going out and spending 1000 baht at a bar and feel it’s a good time out. Wouldn’t you rather spend 60% less and go to a great national park for the day? 

You would have an extra 600 baht to do as you wish. 

You can also look at 400 baht plus 40 baht as 440 baht total. What a cheap date for 2 people to have and see nice nature at just 220 baht each!!  It’s so easy to change your thoughts to the glass is half full. Just do it !!  You are probably a nice person letting some stupid math get in the way. 

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Haha 1

From my experience it seems to vary greatly from site to site as with most things in this country.

Some places accept others don’t, prior to obtaining the card a couple of places gave the Thai price on production of the Thai driving licence.

If I really want to visit a place I will pay the foreigner price and if the discount is given it’s a bonus.

• Like 1

Some of you guys are S.O.B all the time i read Thai bashing and when they give you what you want they are nice people, come on most of you don't want to be part of this society but want the same advantage ......

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

People get outraged at the dual pricing thing, I dont see it as much different to back in Australia. I lived in a couple of tourist areas and as a resident got free parking at the beach when tourists paid, local restaurants would do 10-20% off the bill for locals, Free admission to local tourist attractions if you showed your local license etc. 

I think it's completely different. Many countries offer reduced prices to residents of any nationality and there is nothing wrong with that, but Thailand differentiates by nationality not residency.

A Thai gets in cheap regardless of where he lives and a foreigner pays 10 times the price regardless of where he lives, simply because he is presumed to be rich.

This is entirely unjustifiable.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, timkeen08 said:

It seems that being over 60 carries more weight in Thailand than that worthless pink piece of plastic or the Thai drivers license for foriegners.

The benefits of the ID card are not just about reduced prices. Thai hospitals are set up to handle people with ID cards and the process is far easier using an ID card than a passport.

"Worthless", like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

On 11/20/2018 at 9:11 AM, Peterw42 said:

People get outraged at the dual pricing thing, I dont see it as much different to back in Australia. I lived in a couple of tourist areas and as a resident got free parking at the beach when tourists paid, local restaurants would do 10-20% off the bill for locals, Free admission to local tourist attractions if you showed your local license etc. 

That’s not quite the same thing .....you paid for your parking with your local council rates, any other Australian would pay the same as any foreigner. Your local restaurant was just charging you a real price while others paid the inflated tourist price found in tourist areas, believe me I worked in plenty of tourist area restaurants.

Your examples of giving a local resident a discount are one thing, but to be a direct comparison ALL Australians would have to get that discount while ALL foreigners with an Asian face would have to get charged many times more, even if they live and work here or have dinky-di true blue Aussie kids.

And we know that would be illegal under the racial discrimination laws, don’t we .......

Edited by MikeN

On 11/20/2018 at 2:23 AM, jackdd said:

Are there also places in Australia where the visitors have to pay 10 times the price of the locals?

If Thailand would charge twice the price for foreigners we would probably not see many complaints, but 10 times as in most national parks is 

To answer the Australian question, yes, the Gold Coast Theme parks. Residents in SE QLD get a yearly pass to all parks for $99, which is cheaper than a tourist would get for one single visit to each park. My children used to go to each park numerous times a year, making it extremely cost effective compared to tourist rates. Locals also get special rates for hotels when advertised. So the Duel pricing model does exist elsewhere, rightly or wrongly.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 9:11 AM, Peterw42 said:

Must depend in which area you live. Noosa no such offers for local residents.

16 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Must depend in which area you live. Noosa no such offers for local residents.

Noosa is where I used to live, lol. The resident beach parking was in Bondi/Sydney but 3-4 Hastings St restaurants (lindoni's) used to do a discount for locals, just show your license. Australia zoo always had a locals price, some of the tours and car access to Fraser island had local discount etc. 

8 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Noosa is where I used to live, lol. The resident beach parking was in Bondi/Sydney but 3-4 Hastings St restaurants (lindoni's) used to do a discount for locals, just show your license. Australia zoo always had a locals price, some of the tours and car access to Fraser island had local discount etc. 

True, a very few do, but no free parking unless extremely lucky to find free two hour on street parking. Also depends if high / low season.

Off topic, but currently staying in Thailand, wow...talk about price increases and effect of poor exchange rate...

Edited by simple1

On 11/21/2018 at 10:32 AM, sandyf said:

The benefits of the ID card are not just about reduced prices. Thai hospitals are set up to handle people with ID cards and the process is far easier using an ID card than a passport. 

I just show my Thai driving licence in hospitals and hotels. Works fine.

On 11/21/2018 at 3:24 PM, Aussieroaming said:

To answer the Australian question, yes, the Gold Coast Theme parks. Residents in SE QLD get a yearly pass to all parks for $99, which is cheaper than a tourist would get for one single visit to each park. My children used to go to each park numerous times a year, making it extremely cost effective compared to tourist rates. Locals also get special rates for hotels when advertised. So the Duel pricing model does exist elsewhere, rightly or wrongly.

But did your local authority refuse to sell those yearly passes to residents who were not Australian? I doubt it. And did the hotels also refuse to give the resident's price to non-Australians? I doubt it.

That is the difference.

Hotels sometimes do special rates for residents here also, and by showing my Thai driving licence I have never been refused them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I just show my Thai driving licence in hospitals and hotels. Works fine.

Not quite what I was referring to. In the hospitals I use, when you have move around various depts your ID, and for foreigners this means passport, goes with the documents. One time at the cancer hospital I saw a nurse pick up a bundle of documents and my passport fell on the floor, I was about to go over but another nurse beat me to it.

Since getting the pink ID card it is now exactly the same as the Thais, they put it in a small plastic sleeve which is then stapled to the documents, much better idea.

I take it you haven't been to a hotel recently. I went to a hotel in Pattaya a couple of weeks ago, one I had stayed many times before without a problem but this time they insisted on seeing the permission to stay stamp. It was fortunate I had my passport with as I don't always carry it, they said the police were checking up and they would not allow anyone to stay unless they saw the passport. Can only hope it is a temporary purge.

40 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Not quite what I was referring to. In the hospitals I use, when you have move around various depts your ID, and for foreigners this means passport, goes with the documents. One time at the cancer hospital I saw a nurse pick up a bundle of documents and my passport fell on the floor, I was about to go over but another nurse beat me to it.

Since getting the pink ID card it is now exactly the same as the Thais, they put it in a small plastic sleeve which is then stapled to the documents, much better idea.

The Thai driving licence will also fit into that plastic sleeve, which is why it should be equally acceptable. The hospital that I use actually has a different system and they dont keep the ID once they have looked at it and verified who I am. They just print off a sheet of stickers with my details on instead. They certainly have never asked to see my passport, which is good as I dont carry it with me (I do carry a miniature photocopy of the permission to stay and photo pages though).

42 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I take it you haven't been to a hotel recently. I went to a hotel in Pattaya a couple of weeks ago, one I had stayed many times before without a problem but this time they insisted on seeing the permission to stay stamp. It was fortunate I had my passport with as I don't always carry it, they said the police were checking up and they would not allow anyone to stay unless they saw the passport. Can only hope it is a temporary purge.

I dont stay in hotels in Pattaya at all as I have a condo here, but I was in Hua Hin recently and they were happy with my driving licence. Also in Trat and Bangkok, a few months ago.

17 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The Thai driving licence will also fit into that plastic sleeve, which is why it should be equally acceptable. The hospital that I use actually has a different system and they dont keep the ID once they have looked at it and verified who I am. They just print off a sheet of stickers with my details on instead. They certainly have never asked to see my passport, which is good as I dont carry it with me (I do carry a miniature photocopy of the permission to stay and photo pages though).

I dont stay in hotels in Pattaya at all as I have a condo here, but I was in Hua Hin recently and they were happy with my driving licence. Also in Trat and Bangkok, a few months ago.

"which is why it should be equally acceptable." that would be hospital policy and obviously there are some that could differ.

I am registered with 4 hospitals, and 3 I did before I had the ID card and required passport. Both the cancer hospital and Chonburi general both require ID on attendance and Chonburi general used to want yellow book with passport, both now are ok with the pink ID. The other one which is at the back of our house hasn't asked for ID since registration, the people that work in reception all know my wife's family.

I only registered at Bang Saen last year, they have 2 registration forms, one in Thai and one in English, I used the Thai with my ID card, The English form states quite clearly you must present a passport. They work in much the same way as you mentioned, once registered your photograph and details appear on the appointment slip so they do not look for ID on attendance.

You have to accept that there is no set solution and people must make the best use of what is available. Too many on here try and push the driving licence over the ID card, not a great deal of help to those that don't drive.