'One big party': Ex-tech boss jailed for fraud after 'living the high life in Thailand

webfact

'One big party': Ex-tech boss jailed for fraud after 'living the high life'

By Georgina Mitchell

TH.jpg

Jailed: John Falconer, pictured in Thailand in 2013.

A businessman who fled to Thailand while he was being investigated by ASIC has been sentenced to at least three years behind bars for fraud, after he told a court he was not "living the high life" or having "one big party" despite spending money on cocaine and lavish meals.

John Falconer, 70, the former director of technology company TZ Ltd, was extradited from Thailand to Australia in September 2017 after he helped to transfer $6.2 million in cash and shares from TZ between 2006 and 2008, then gave false information to the ASX.

Falconer personally benefited by $1.416 million, while the rest of the money went to other beneficiaries, including to pay the large gambling debts of his co-offender Andrew Sigalla.

Full story: https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/one-big-party-ex-tech-boss-jailed-for-fraud-after-living-high-life-in-thailand-20181109-p50f2w.html

-- Sydney Morning Herald 2018-11-19

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder how many people would willingly make a deal that they will go 3 years to jail (in Australia) if they can spend more than a million USD of other people's money in Thailand to have some fun.

For "white collar" crime in Australia you usually get sent to a minimum security jail, that even gives you weekend leave after a few months. He will probably be out in 18 month anyway with good behaviour. Maybe it was worth it!!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder how many people would willingly make a deal that they will go 3 years to jail (in Australia) if they can spend more than a million USD of other people's money in Thailand to have some fun.

Count me in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/19/2018 at 3:42 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

If you put it like that, it sounds almost attractive...!

But reading the full SMH article, it wasn't that much fun and actually he was given 4.5 years. The 3 years is the minimum time after which he is eligible for parole.

Nah, I'll stick to my ordinary, cocaine-free lifestyle.

On 11/19/2018 at 3:42 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Not anybody that is financially secure and has one iota of self respect. So there is a high percentage in Thailand that would. $1.4 mil isn't that much. 

2 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Not anybody that is financially secure and has one iota of self respect. So there is a high percentage in Thailand that would. $1.4 mil isn't that much. 

How many foreigners in Thailand do you think are in the "financially secure" group who think "$1.4 mil isn't that much" compared to the not so financially secure who (would like to) party every night?

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How many foreigners in Thailand do you think are in the "financially secure" group who think "$1.4 mil isn't that much" compared to the not so financially secure who (would like to) party every night?

I am really not concerned about the percentage. I stand by my comment that nobody with any self respect would go to prison for three years just to be ripped off by hookers and sniff what might be "coke".

Edited by Cryingdick

Kinda weird how so many people think that Thailand is a remote place where you can disappear into the void.  I've met guys who admitted that "it's best that I stay away from Europe for a while" but if the authorities really did want them it would be fairly easy to check passport records, perhaps some plastic card trails.

And if one were trying to hide in plain sight maybe better to do it in a place where the people look more like yourself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bendejo said:

Kinda weird how so many people think that Thailand is a remote place where you can disappear into the void.  I've met guys who admitted that "it's best that I stay away from Europe for a while" but if the authorities really did want them it would be fairly easy to check passport records, perhaps some plastic card trails.

And if one were trying to hide in plain sight maybe better to do it in a place where the people look more like yourself.

Conversely it is sort of weird the "boss" can escape Thailand by being in England.

Once upon time a smattering of farang men were in Thailand somewhere sitting and drinking, and the subject turned to women.  At one point someone pointed out that in Lao they'll lock up a foreigner for having sex with a Lao.  Most just shook their heads, it was fairly well known.  It was the Aussie who asked "how long do they lock you up for?"

• Like 1