Social Security SSA.gov Unavailable

FaFaHead

Six years ago when I lived near laum chok and had True internet I was able to access ssa.gov sites. Once I moved north approximately 25 km and switched to 3bb I can only access ssa.gov using a vpn. There are also some US DoD site I can only access through a vpn. Don't know the reason why, perhaps something to do with the ip address.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FredLee said:

Six years ago when I lived near laum chok and had True internet I was able to access ssa.gov sites. Once I moved north approximately 25 km and switched to 3bb I can only access ssa.gov using a vpn. There are also some US DoD site I can only access through a vpn. Don't know the reason why, perhaps something to do with the ip address.

I just signed up with 3BB and it has to be that. Now I have to look into a VPN. Thanks. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FaFaHead said:

I just signed up with 3BB Saturday. It’s them. 

I have 3BB, and have had them for years.  I am able to go to the Social Security site during their business hours.

I accessed their (SSA) site this morning (Thai time) as a matter of fact.

Edited by hml367
add information

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know the address of the government website where you can enter in your SSA number and see what the benefits are and how much you will receive when you decide to claim your benefits once you reach the age of 62/67... or whatever?

When I search there are many social security calculators but I don't see one where you can enter your SSA number and it has been calculated for you.

Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

When I search there are many social security calculators but I don't see one where you can enter your SSA number and it has been calculated for you.

Here is a link for what you want. https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/estimator.html

Posted using Chrome on my tablet.

Edit: But you will not be able to access the actual estimater until working hours on the east coast ot the US.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, hml367 said:

1:56 p.m., Tuesday, 20 November, 2018.

Windows 10 with Edge browser

3BB Fiber

Capture.JPG

I have been using an iPad Pro with Safari, Chrome and Edge to no avail. Gonna try Surface Pro with 10, but it shouldn’t make a difference, still using 3bb. 

50 minutes ago, FaFaHead said:

still using 3bb

To rule out 3BB you could go online via mobile for a test.

Did you try to change the DNS server?

I have no experience with iOS, so just search results how to configure:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/04/22/how-to-change-the-dns-server-used-by-your-iphone-and-ipad

https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-change-dns-on-iphone-ipad/

4 hours ago, elektrified said:

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know the address of the government website where you can enter in your SSA number and see what the benefits are and how much you will receive when you decide to claim your benefits once you reach the age of 62/67... or whatever?

Thank you in advance.

To see that specific info you need to have a mySSA account where you can get Benefit Letter at anytime....like the letter SSA mails yearly to a person (or use to).  Otherwise you just need to use the SSA webpage where you enter some basic info to get a ball park figure.

• Thanks 1

I have no problem reaching the SSA webpage on AIS Fibre with or without VPN.  

Now when I was with True about 5 years ago there was about a 6 month period where I could only reach SSA pages with a VPN connection....then one day that problem magically went away.

Be sure to clear your browser cookies and possibly clear browsing history as corruption in those areas could cause the problem.  And try a different DNS like google DNS 8.8.8.8

https://www.ssa.gov/

I see this problem from time to time, to ssa.gov and a few other sites.  The internet only allows about 16 hops to get to destination, to prevent zombie packets circulating forever.  Sometimes the local routing tables, used to forward traffic, get screwed up and half the hops are already used by the time the packet leaves the local network.  It’s an issue with your ISP and you can verify using the tracert utility.

On Windows, open a DOS command shell and enter:

tracert www.ssa.gov

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traceroute

It is definitely 3bb. I have the same issue since I started using them.

On my phone, when I use the wifi at home, I can't get ssa.gov, but when I leave the house and use data from true, no problem accessing the site.

By the way, you can only sign up on their website for personal info accessed on the computer if you have a USA address.

It is definetly 3BB.

I just tried accessing the ssa.gov site (7:30 AM EST) from my computer and it wouldn't work.

Tried on my cell phone (DTAC) and it worked just fine.

Tried connecting on my computer through a VPN, and it also worked.

Haven't tried messing with DNSs, since I prefer VPN anyway.

16 hours ago, Pib said:

Otherwise you just need to use the SSA webpage where you enter some basic info to get a ball park figure.

If you use the estimator you can access on this webpage it gives a fairly accurate number since you have to enter your SSN.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/estimator.html

When I used it or a similar one before applying for my benefits it was within 2 or 3 dollars of what I got when I started receiving them.

On 11/20/2018 at 11:31 AM, KhunBENQ said:

It could be a simple DNS issue.

Before fiddling with VPN, try Google DNS if not yet done.

What operating system does your computer have?

The home page is easily available for me at this time (11:30h Thai) from ToT fiber.

https://www.ssa.gov/

After three calls to 3BB and waiting for a return call from a tech all afternoon, I am glad to say that problem solved. Dude changed a DNS setting and i’m Good to go!§