White House restores access for CNN's Acosta, ending legal fight

webfact

White House restores access for CNN's Acosta, ending legal fight

2018-11-19T161942Z_1_LYNXNPEEAI13C_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-CNN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A White House intern reaches for and tries to take away the microphone held by CNN correspondent Jim Acosta as he questions U.S. President Donald Trump during a news conference at the White House in Washington, U.S., November 7, 2018. Picture taken November 7, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House on Monday restored press access for CNN reporter Jim Acosta, ending a legal fight that had so far gone against the Trump administration.

White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement that the press pass for Acosta, which was revoked after a contentious Nov. 7 news conference with President Donald Trump, was restored but that reporters who ignored new rules for news conferences could have their credentials taken away.

Under the rules, "a journalist called upon to ask a question will ask a single question and then will yield the floor to other journalists," but a follow-up question may be permitted at the president's discretion, Sanders said.

CNN, a frequent target of Trump's criticism of the news media, said in a statement its lawsuit challenging the White House's actions was no longer necessary.

Earlier on Monday, the cable news network had sought an emergency federal court hearing after the White House said it would again revoke Acosta's pass once a temporary restraining order reinstating it for a two-week period expired.

Acosta's credentials were revoked after Trump denounced him as a "rude, terrible person" during a news conference the day after Trump's Republicans lost their majority in the U.S. House of Representatives in congressional elections.

Trump had erupted into anger when Acosta questioned him about the probe of Russian meddling in the 2016 election and a migrant caravan travelling through Mexico, telling Acosta: "That's enough, that's enough," as a White House staffer tried to take the microphone away from the correspondent.

CNN challenged the press pass revocation in court, arguing it violated Acosta's First Amendment right to free speech, as well as the due process clause of the Constitution providing fair treatment through judicial and administrative process.

In temporarily restoring Acosta's credentials, U.S. District Judge Timothy Kelly said last Friday that the White House had failed to provide due process. He did not address any alleged First Amendment violations.

In court, U.S. government lawyers said there was no First Amendment right of access to the White House and that Acosta was penalized for acting rudely at the news conference and not for his criticism of the president.

Trump, who has long blasted the media, and often targeted Acosta, said on "Fox News Sunday" that the judge's decision was "not a big deal" and that the White House would establish rules for the press.

(Reporting by Susan Heavey; Additional reporting by Mohammad Zargham and Jan Wolfe; Editing by Bill Trott and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-11-20
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

Huh?

Did you read the article?

The White House has decided not to pursue further legal challenges, has re-issued Mr. Acosta's hard pass PERMANENTLY, and has issued "rules".

So for now, yes, the WH has a plan.

According to CNNs squeaky Brian Stelter it is  a temporary pass for 2 weeks. 

https://mailchi.mp/cnn/rs-nov-18-2018

I get no respect. The way my luck is running, if I was a politician I would be honest. ....Rodney Dangerfield

The thing is there's no respect for anything noways, and when a famous ACTOR, Robert the Zero, stand up in front of the best of Hollywood and uses expletives to illustrate his feelings to the commander and chief and the president of the United state of America, and gets applauded for it, what do you expect from a lowly newspaper journalists...

Edited by ezzra
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

I was referring more to a general lack of respects everywhere now days, from the entitled individuals who think that the world owe them something to and treat others with disdain and disrespect to some groups of people who thinks of nothing to ruin people lives because of some allegations and accusations...

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

According to CNNs squeaky Brian Stelter it is  a temporary pass for 2 weeks. 

https://mailchi.mp/cnn/rs-nov-18-2018

That was Nov. 18.

On Nov. 20 - White House reverses course, permanently restores Jim Acosta's press pass

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/white-house-reverses-course-permanently-restores-jim-acosta-s-press-n938171

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

What childish nonsense. As if the US didn't have any real problems to solve. Is this just to distract the public or to make the US government and the news agencies look silly?

No, it makes the WH look silly and petty, not the news organizations. Just about what one can expect with a petulant child in the Oval Office.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Becker said:

Trump lost. I guess all the winning wears him down.

Nope this article is not quite correct. he got his pass back for 2 weeks while they complete the due process to permanently revoke it.  he acted like a complete clown and does not deserve a spot at the press conferences.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

So it was the WH that sued CNN over its reporter's refusal to turn over the mic was it?

Have your PTESD (Post Trump Election Stress Disorder) checked by a qualified mental health professional, please.

"So it was the WH that sued CNN over its reporter's refusal to turn over the mic was it?"

No, it wasn't. It was CNN that filed a lawsuit against President Trump and several of his aides, seeking the immediate restoration of chief White House correspondent Jim Acosta's access to the White House. Why are you posting if you don't know the mere basics of what's being discussed??

"Have your PTESD (Post Trump Election Stress Disorder) checked by a qualified mental health professional, please."

Debating with base man-child supporters often puts a strain on my patience. Here's a statement from one who didn't dodge the draft:

qw.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Becker said:

"So it was the WH that sued CNN over its reporter's refusal to turn over the mic was it?"

No, it wasn't. It was CNN that filed a lawsuit against President Trump and several of his aides, seeking the immediate restoration of chief White House correspondent Jim Acosta's access to the White House. Why are you posting if you don't know the mere basics of what's being discussed??

"Have your PTESD (Post Trump Election Stress Disorder) checked by a qualified mental health professional, please."

Debating with base man-child supporters often puts a strain on my patience. Here's a statement from one who didn't dodge the draft:

qw.jpg

Yeah, well, McRaven never knew the agony of not being able to serve because of bone spurs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JHolmesJr said:

They can give him his pass back but they don't necessarily have to ppoint to him when it's question time. Give the others a chance. Let him just sit there and warm the chair.

Makes no difference what pass Acosta gets, he may as well be in outer Siberia. Thinking about this whole saga, who comes out the winner and who comes out the loser. Well the loser is Acosta for sparring with the teenage girl over her mic, and then ginning up farcical lawsuits because he didn't get his way(poor diddums). The undisputed winner is Trump, the worlds media is chomping at the bit to watch his next performance at white house question time. The guy is a a genius at outmaneuvering the lumbering old sovereign media. Can't wait to see the dynamics of spoilt Jim and the rest of the media. This will be priceless. He is now the political equivalent of a fart in an elevator.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, guest879 said:

Nope this article is not quite correct. he got his pass back for 2 weeks while they complete the due process to permanently revoke it.  he acted like a complete clown and does not deserve a spot at the press conferences.

Please stop writing nonsense. Your opinion is yours, but your factual claims are simply no0t true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Please stop writing nonsense. Your opinion is yours, but your factual claims are simply no0t true.

you have every right to express your opinion here, even if it is nonsense. always good to hear differing opinions. I was never a big fan of echo chambers. now I just watched the news and it stated that Acosta has been given a temporary 2 week pass. it also said they were giving him a chance to plead his case to get a permanent one and that if he did not plead his case he was not going to get another one.

2 minutes ago, guest879 said:

you have every right to express your opinion here, even if it is nonsense. always good to hear differing opinions. I was never a big fan of echo chambers. now I just watched the news and it stated that Acosta has been given a temporary 2 week pass. it also said they were giving him a chance to plead his case to get a permanent one and that if he did not plead his case he was not going to get another one.

Sad you don't see the difference between an opinion and a fact.

As I said, your opinion is valid, your facts 'he was given a temporary pass' is old news and not correct anymore.

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

I get no respect. The way my luck is running, if I was a politician I would be honest. ....Rodney Dangerfield

The thing is there's no respect for anything noways, and when a famous ACTOR, Robert the Zero, stand up in front of the best of Hollywood and uses expletives to illustrate his feelings to the commander and chief and the president of the United state of America, and gets applauded for it, what do you expect from a lowly newspaper journalists...

Ever hear the old adage...'you reap what you sow'? Trump is a dodger in so many more ways than one. Acosta wanted answers, which brings another old adage to mind...'persistence overcomes resistance'. Saw it LIVE and thought it was fantuckingfastic! :clap2:

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

New rules. No worries. All is well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2018/11/19/new-rules-for-keeping-your-press-credential-to-the-trump-white-house/

"Dear press corps,

This hurts us more than it hurts you.

Frankly, it is shocking and appalling to us that you are a group full of such wild, ruthless maniacs as Jim Acosta, who cannot be restrained from further heinous and unthinkable acts except with these explicit guidelines, which it pains us, so, so deeply to inflict upon you."

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 hours ago, Opl said:

Trump insists he is the sole arbiter of truth. Anybody who questions Trump is by definition biased. By his circular logic, any attempt to question Trump is inherently false, since the act of challenging Trump reveals the source to be dishonest. Reporters can try to chase the lies down one by one, but they always lead back into this same logical cul-de-sac."

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/11/trump-chris-wallace-interview-enemy-of-the-people-fake-news.html

Image associée

A rare moment of brutal honesty from the Liar in Chief....

• Thanks 1