Nongprue renews push for residents to drop foam use

Rimmer

Nongprue renews push for residents to drop foam use

image.png

PATTAYA:--Nongprue has launched another campaign to try to get residents to stop using plastic and foam containers.

Mayor Mai Chaiyanit opened the latest PR push at the Rai Wanasin Market with sub-district officials and residents.

Plastic and foam have become major environmental problems and solutions are required to systematically and properly managing their effects on people and environment.

Foam and plastic take 800 years and 450 years to degrade, respectively. As a result, they create problems regarding elimination due to high costs and the requirement for many landfill areas that become breeding grounds for insects and disease carriers.

Therefore, Nongprue is pushing for residents to reduce waste, avoid and quitting using foam and plastic food containers.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-11-23

2 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Mayor Mai Chaiyanit opened the latest PR push at the Rai Wanasin Market with sub-district officials and residents.

How successful is a junket for officials? 

It's like trying to convince a local businessman that hiring a van/driver to drive around holding up the traffic whilst simultaneously deafening passers-by with an indecipherable message, is not a good business plan. 

• Thanks 1

If they want to eliminate foam use, then the retailers need to stop purchasing it and using it.  This is not a consumer issue - it is a retailer issue.  If a retailer serves 1000 consumers, and stops the use of foam, 1000 consumers now no longer use foam.

The media loves to play 'Blame the Consumer' for the foam and plastic problem.
But the reality is that if the retailers stop purchasing and using foam and plastic, then the end-consumer no longer consumes foam and plastics, plus it puts the manufacturers of this junk out of business. 

50 minutes ago, connda said:

If they want to eliminate foam use, then the retailers need to stop purchasing it and using it.  This is not a consumer issue - it is a retailer issue.  If a retailer serves 1000 consumers, and stops the use of foam, 1000 consumers now no longer use foam.

But the reality is that if the retailers stop purchasing and using foam and plastic, then the end-consumer no longer consumes foam and plastics, plus it puts the manufacturers of this junk out of business. 

The reality is that it's a Mexican Standoff, isn't it? Realizing this reality, I've taken my own action as a consumer by carrying both my own plastic bags and reusable food containers. I don't even like to accept FoodLand's paper "take away" containers because bptj they and the foam containers are inferior to my reusables (but at least FoodLand's seem to be environmentally-friendly).

Easier for me because I ride a bicycle with plenty of storage for such items - another example of a consumer taking his or her own action in another environment-conscious venue.

The alternative is that we can all sit around pointing fingers at each other, yes?

Edited by MaxYakov

When I first came here permanently 11 years ago, I saw locals with stacking stainless food carriers, and thought "What a good idea....We'll get one"

Roll on 11 years, it has never been used.

'Nuff said.

7 hours ago, connda said:

I have gone over to refusing to buy everything in a plastic bag. The local shop keepers just think I'm a mad farang. The mind boggles at the lack of interest and understanding at gras root level.

The world over governments need to start taxing non biodegradable throw away food containers incl water bottles, with that money given to waste processing & reduction activities like recycling centres & bio composting etc, its actually an industry by itself. User Pays is the way to go!