Phuket road resurfacing sees at least 20 injured, nine in one night

webfact

Phuket road resurfacing sees at least 20 injured, nine in one night

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1542958444_1-org.jpg

At least 20 people have been injured in motorbike accidents since the resurfacing of the road began last week. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Local residents in Thalang are calling for the Phuket office of the Highways Department to speed up the resurfacing of a busy section of Thepkrasattri Rd after nine people were injured in falls from motorbikes last night, and another person injured this morning (Nov 23).

The section of road under repairs is the northbound lane is from near the U-turn near Thalang office of the Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA) to the main Makro store in Thalang.

At least 20 people have been injured in accidents on the busy stretch of road as the road surface is steeply uneven while the roadworks are being carried out, local residents told reports last night.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-road-resurfacing-sees-at-least-20-injured-nine-in-one-night-69448.php#qx9EX9EsAgVESfst.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-11-23

10 minutes ago, zaphod reborn said:

So, instead of demanding that the contractor take proper action to improve safety, the Phuket residents demand that the work be completed quicker, probably increasing the dangerous conditions of the roadway.

You make 1 lane safe for travel, use flagmen to regulate one-way traffic, while resurfacing the other lane.  Once the other lane is resurfaced and safe, you close the other lane for resurfacing.  It's not hard and done all over the world.  

Hard for the Thais it seems!

I was along there today and the truck needs a wash now- its covered in crap. The surface is very uneven but people were still driving and riding like Richard Craniums. There are signs out but no one was paying attention to them. I'll see if I can be arsed to put up some dashcam footage tomorrow.

it doesn't take the brains of an Archbishop to slow down in the conditions. Unfortunately there are not many Archbishops in Phuket!

Edited by Psimbo
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, stevenl said:

Also as usual the road works are not announced, so suddenly the road surface goes from good to bad.

Not to mention the unmarked holes/drainage pit and construction materials left in the road overnight. No common sense is the issue. 

20 hours ago, keith101 said:

Going to fast for the road conditions is probably the main cause as usual 

I do not agree, As I do regular road trips on my motorbike, I would say it is the Thai roadworks authorities whoever they are, who are responsible, and are mostly to blame.

When resurfacing a road, they leave it rutted and potholed Kilo after Kilo, instead of having the common sense to do a bit at a time as they do in the UK and probably other countries.

This leaves it extremely dangerous for motorbike riders.

18 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

So, instead of demanding that the contractor take proper action to improve safety, the Phuket residents demand that the work be completed quicker, probably increasing the dangerous conditions of the roadway.

You make 1 lane safe for travel, use flagmen to regulate one-way traffic, while resurfacing the other lane.  Once the other lane is resurfaced and safe, you close the other lane for resurfacing.  It's not hard and done all over the world. 

Or even a bit at a time and redirecting the traffic on to the opposite lane which gets closed down temporary for oncoming traffic.

It really all depends on whether it is a single lane road or a two or three lane carriageway.

Common sense and brains are not compatible with Thai authorities.

18 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

Except Thailand  No flagman ,no Safety, no nothing, up to you to survive.    

• Like 1

19 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

You're forgetting the time lapse of 50 years between what's done all over the world and what happens here !!!

• Haha 1

Probably the equipment for planing the road before resurfacing is in short supply, so they prepare the whole stretch before moving the equipment elsewhere. I think cones/barriers are in short supply as they use them as permanent road diversions rather than temporary measures. Visit the moat in Chiang Mai to see what I mean.

Road engineering is still primitive here, and no one has any incentive to improve it, except for the installation of cameras to raise revenue for the police.

Edited by Classic Ray

i see the road by the floating market is in a terrible state again after a recent resurface, god help any scooter rider going along there at night, and today FINALLY the road to Bira Circuit is being  resurfaced after weeks of the old twigs being put in the road. that was realy bad in places, at the end of this road by the school this road has huge holes in it

1 hour ago, mercman24 said:

i see the road by the floating market is in a terrible state again after a recent resurface, god help any scooter rider going along there at night, and today FINALLY the road to Bira Circuit is being  resurfaced after weeks of the old twigs being put in the road. that was realy bad in places, at the end of this road by the school this road has huge holes in it

Where on Phuket are those areas please?

I rode that stretch on the 15 & 16 this month, when i approached there was no signage and non there on the way home the next day, obliviously need to slow down but also, the wave'y ruts are quite deep and guide the front wheel quiet a lot (cars going past at 1000kph doesn't help).

Phuket officials rush to control the scores of accidents in Thepkasattri Road, Thalang

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

94280.jpg

PHOTO: The Phuket PR Office

More than 30 motorists since last week have been injured in an accident on part of the Thepkrasattri Road which is under construction in Thalang. Phuket officials are well aware of the issue and have moved swiftly to solve the problem.

The part of the construction on Highway No. 402 (Thepkrasattri Road) is a 4 kilometre stretch, northbound, which ends up near Macro in Thalang. More than 30 motorists have been injured, mostly motorbike accidents, along the road whilst it is being renovated.

The resurfacing involves stripping the old surface back, leaving ridges and divers which can be a hazard for motorbike riders. It also leaves a slight height difference between the current and renovated surfaces during re-surfacing.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/phuket-officials-rush-to-control-the-scores-of-accidents-in-thepkasattri-road-thalang

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-11-26