'I'm just sorry for what I did': Alberta woman arrested in Thailand returns home

rooster59

52 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

And the healthiest way to overcome these feelings of contempt for people with contempt is obviously more contempt. 

Contempt? Hardly. It's FUN. I liken it to having one of them universal remote controls that does the telly, stereo and mixes margaritas. It's got buttons all over it, just like the Thai bashers.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Contempt? Hardly. It's FUN. I liken it to having one of them universal remote controls that does the telly, stereo and mixes margaritas. It's got buttons all over it, just like the Thai bashers.

And seemgly, yourself. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Before my first trip to Thaiiland I read up on the dos and don'ts

and where to go to see the sites. Obviously the young, do not do that

anymore.

No reading necessary in this case. Just a good lick of common sense is all it would take.

I hope this is a turning point in this young ladies life.

3 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

While I agree with other posters that stupidity is at the root of this, I have to say that in my time, I have seen much, much worse. The Thais didn't exactly come out of this fantastically. The world knowing Thailand will jail someone for up to 10 years for a bit of graffiti', which was washed off in no time, hardly did wonders for their ailing tourist industry. In my younger years I did some fairly dumb stuff, for which I am not proud. Just lucky I didn't do it here I guess.

of course they, and as far as I am concerned all other Graffity sprayers and brushers, should be stopped c.q. punished. (and cars with red-white-blue flashers, and vehicles driving in the dark without lights, and corrupt people)

But then, compare this to the hit-kill-and-run racing guy who dragged an officer under his car and that is still all over the Western Press ? ?

Where is the balance in Public Relations ? ?

enuf said.

• Like 1

I returned to Toronto before this event happened but kept track of it through TV.  It was reported by the Canadian media but as a non-event.  I have no idea why the Thai media constantly specify that it was an ancient wall that was defaced when it was not so.  Second, never saw any reference, as mentioned above, to a GoFundMe being set up to help her.  Actually, I never, ever, provide any funds for any such cases as the people concerned, regardless of what they need the money for, e..g. hospital, return airfare for proper/better medical treatment, burial, should have funds set aside for an emergency or have insurance coverage for unusual events.  Third, the media in Canada showed little, if any interest in this episode.  It would appear that the publicity was sort by her mother.  Was the female in the story really sorry for what she did or was that a ploy in an attempt to lower the penalty for her "crime"?  How many Thais perform such act when they leave their country and we never hear about them or the outcome of their misbehaviours.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

I’m against capital punishment, but in this case I think she should have been promptly executed. 

Or at least put up against a wall  ( not that one!).. so angry TV posters could throw rotten tomatoes at her to make them feel better.. 

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

True story. Working in the Saudi desert in 1978, after several days of .... .... .... was still there.

I may have a gig back there next February and you can bet I will be packing my smartphone, just in case.

Surely everybody was delighted with your sharing this valuable insight in your mind.
nothing like an open hearted revealing the depth of ones thoughts.
Yuk Emoticon and byebye

2 minutes ago, KKr said:

Surely everybody was delighted with your sharing this valuable insight in your mind.
nothing like an open hearted revealing the depth of ones thoughts.
Yuk Emoticon and byebye

This story is (bull) shit anyway. Mother nature would have long since destroyed his turd long before his return to inspect his business. I think he's just having a little fun with gullible TVF readers (his idea of fun).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

Good to see so many TV posters that have never done anything foolish or stupid in their lives.. 

I think there is a fine line between doing stupid (or foolish) and being disrespectful of others cultures in their own countries! Where is "graffiti/vandalism" acceptable? 

Of course she is "sorry" because she did not have enough brains to think about what she was about to do! Alcohol (or drugs) may have been the reason but NEVER an excuse.

• Like 1

I returned to Toronto before this event happened but kept track of it through TV.  It was reported by the Canadian media but as a non-event.  I have no idea why the Thai media constantly specify that it was an ancient wall that was defaced when it was not so.  Second, never saw any reference, as mentioned above, to a GoFundMe being set up to help her.  Actually, I never, ever, provide any funds for any such cases as the people concerned, regardless of what they need the money for, e..g. hospital, return airfare for proper/better medical treatment, burial, should have funds set aside for an emergency or have insurance coverage for unusual events.  Third, the media in Canada showed little, if any interest in this episode.  It would appear that the publicity was sort by her mother.  Was the female in the story really sorry for what she did or was that a ploy in an attempt to lower the penalty for her "crime"?  How many Thais perform such act when they leave their country and we never hear about them or the outcome of their misbehaviours.

Gofundme was set up by her mother, to help with costs incurred at home while she was in jail!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

When I first saw the video it soon become apparent that this woman is one can short of a six pack. I believe she was led on by the English thug.

Have no idea how she became associated with the thug but I bet she regrets it now. The English thug with attitude has probably gone back to his council estate, continued claiming his welfare benefits and boasting about this to his mates.

He definitely should have been given jail time and I would have with no hesitation paid into a go fund me to help ensure he went to jail. That guy is part of all that`s wrong with Britain today and certainly not needed or wanted in Thailand.

Edited by cyberfarang
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Longcut said:

What motivates people to do such stupid things?

Stupidity needs no motivation. 

Graffiti, in the right place, looks nice and can lend a dreary, boring place a new look, but on ancient, historically significant buildings common sense would tell us that it's an absolute no-no.

Hopefully this fine will act as a deterrent to other would-be holiday "artists".

I hope the money is used to remove the graffiti from the gate. 

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Did some stupid things when I was young but those generally ended up causing me lost skin and a broken bone whatever. Never involved damaging or defacing anyone elses property though.

+1 same here

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

A couple of things.. she did just write one letter and then thought better of it and stopped.. the 'historic wall' is a reconstruction built in 1986 so is not actually the 'ancient wall' .. a 100,000 Bt fine is a pretty stiff fine.. along with international humiliation for her crime.. and possibility that she is black listed.. a pretty heavy penalty for the crime don't you think?  I believe she admitted to drinking a lot.. insinuating that she took drugs is slanderous.. 

What part of "may have been the reason" do you not understand? Have you proof positive of what 'motivated' her? Isn't alcohol a drug - albeit legal? Rhetorical - I'm not interested in your answer. 

38 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

What part of "may have been the reason" do you not understand? Have you proof positive of what 'motivated' her? Isn't alcohol a drug - albeit legal? Rhetorical - I'm not interested in your answer. 

If you are that opinionated why do you ask the question? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

Too harsh. People do all sorts of crazy things under the influence of alcohol. I am glad that they left her (and him) go with a fine and she already said she was sorry. I did not she any arrogance or asserting privilege in her statement.  

The woman yes, but the thug no. We have a that`s too harsh opinionated system in Britain and now anti social behaviour has become out of control in Britain.

I very much doubt the thug paid his own fine and I very much doubt he has any remorse at all. The softly softly approach is not a deterrent, which has been proven time and time again in Britain.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

We no longer call it ''Thai bashing'',which is rather tired and labled...may I suggest you now refer to it as '' Thai shortcoming analysis'' ,and those of us you call ,''thai bashers'',would be refered to as, '' Thai Shortcoming Analisist's ''...or TSA's ... have a good one...( and please no AN*L JOKES)

Edited by mok199
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Longcut said:

What motivates people to do such stupid things?

Who can honestly say they haven't done something stupid in their lives?  Stupidity, drink/drugs and youth often go hand in hand but there are a fair share of "grown-ups" who do stupid things at any age.  You only have to read the forums on TV to see that ????

2 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Who can honestly say they haven't done something stupid in their lives?  Stupidity, drink/drugs and youth often go hand in hand but there are a fair share of "grown-ups" who do stupid things at any age.  You only have to read the forums on TV to see that ????

Most of us have indeed done stupid things in our lives .

What are you suggesting ?

Because wehave done stupid things bin our lives that we shouldnt critisise others who also now do stupid things in their lives ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

While I agree with other posters that stupidity is at the root of this, I have to say that in my time, I have seen much, much worse. The Thais didn't exactly come out of this fantastically. The world knowing Thailand will jail someone for up to 10 years for a bit of graffiti', which was washed off in no time, hardly did wonders for their ailing tourist industry. In my younger years I did some fairly dumb stuff, for which I am not proud. Just lucky I didn't do it here I guess.

Yes, Thailand missed out on some potentially good publicity here .

Thailand should have given these guys a reward and given them a free night , all expenses paid for in Hooters , encouraging all potential dim witted bad graffiti artists from across the World  to visit Thailand 

• Like 1