Thailand Traffic Law - Who Has Right-of-Way?

Banana7

On 11/26/2018 at 2:45 AM, Katia said:

Okay, so you're wondering if you're entitled to turn into the path of a pedestrian who's crossing the street you want to turn onto?  Did I interpret all of that green-arrow stuff correctly?

Yes, you are correct.

• Confused 2

Regardless of whether there is a light there or not, whether the light is functional or not, I still imagine the pedestrian would be considered to "have the light" and hence has right of way.  If there was a car coming that way rather than a person walking, would it even be a question?  Regardless of the law, I wouldn't cut off a pedestrian.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:13 PM, camble said:

Right-of-way goes to the largest vehicle 

Cement truck & overloaded semi trailer with bad brakes then overloaded truck with bad brakes then tourist bus with no brakes then speeding overloaded pickup? Pedestrians have no right of way even on a pedestrian crossing. That's why Thais ride bikes on the foot path.

The correct answer is: no one knows the correct answer. 

And that is one of the reasons for the carnage in Thailand.  Ill defined traffic laws that are unknown to most and followed by by few who may actually know them.  The whole concept of right-of-way fits into that category.  I doubt that a handful of citizen, including cops, understand Thai traffic laws pertaining to right-of-way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sencelebi said:

Almost in every country pedestrians have the right away. if there is a traffic light for them or not. Except on highways.

We know everyone in Thailand knows and follows the traffic laws and rules, right?  I look out for my own self rather than relying on what rules and laws state, especially in Thailand.

• Like 1

In Bangkok I simply walk out into traffic if I want to cross say Sukhumvit Road or any other large roads (Sukhumvit 71, Ekkamai Road, Sukhumvit 55 etc).

The cars slow down or stop when they see you.  Of course you do have to be reasonably smart and pick the right moment, but I've been doing it 10 years without incident.  

You see tourists waiting to cross on Sukhumvit near to Suk soi 33 where there is a crossing (but without any lights).  They stand there waiting for the traffic to stop and I just walk out into it.

52 minutes ago, sencelebi said:

Almost in every country pedestrians have the right away. if there is a traffic light for them or not. Except on highways.

I think you are dead wrong in your quote that in most countries pedestrians have the right of way.

The traffic manuals say “no one has the right of way.”

In a car you are to give right of way to a pedestrian.

Big difference

3 hours ago, NE1 said:

Section 22 of the Land Traffic act 1979. ( The Latest I could find )

States. Green Arrow:- " The driver shall drive according to the direction of the Green arrow , but shall be careful to give way to crossing pedestrians or other vehicles ".  Failure to comply 1,000 baht fine.

If I had 1 baht for every time a car was not giving way to me as a pedestrian during my last trip to Bangkok (2 weeks) I would be rich....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NE1 said:

I think in America there is the Jaywalking law that states you cannot walk out into moving traffic.

Good job we are not in America then.   What would you do on a crosswalk with no lights and where cars won't stop unless you walk out?