Who has gone and left ??

georgegeorgia

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Do you know any who have left because of the recent changes - lack of income letter?

Zero must really not be far of the good result :cool:

Edit: Oops. I misread "how many". 

Edit: Ask among Danish members. Your best chance IMHO

Edited by Pattaya46

25 minutes ago, Black Ops said:

If you don't have 15 grand in the bank you have no business getting married and having a family. This thread is about no income letters forcing people to leave.  I know of none. Do you?

by marcusarelus

This is a very unfair comment to make against alot of members and expats in this country. Some of these have a perfectly good income to support a family they have built and want to stay with their family and through no fault of their own that possibility to demonstate their income in an acceptable way to immigration which is currently ONLY by Embassy letter has/will be withdrawn soon.

The thread is about people leaving.  I don't know any married folks with a good income who could not put 400,000 in the bank for 8 weeks.  Do you?  So I don't know anyone who is leaving.  Do you?

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, thaijoe said:

i'am an american, and been there for 12 yrs. i moved back.. the hell with all the bullshit visa problems. and happy that iam back home.

good luck to all that stay there.i will just vist if even i do.

When did you move back?  I think a lot move back because of a wife and family and then when the wife divorces them come on here and blame Thailand for their woes.  I don't see it as an immigration issue.  But hey, let me know If I'm wrong in your case.  I can always be corrected. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Sorry but off topic.  Do you know any who have left because of the recent changes - lack of income letter?

Yes, some topics do go off, but sometimes you get wrapped up in a topic and you answer other posts, then you end up off topic., but still posting similar things.

But would you mind refraining from hitting out at some expats and running them down because they cannot afford to put 400.000 Bt in the bank for extensions based on marriage. They have the same right to be here as you.

A lot of these guys are contributing to the economy by buying a house and bringing up Thai kids, and bringing money into the country regularly.

I can easily afford to put 400.000 Bt in my bank, but I would prefer to have the biggest majority of my money in the UK.

This country is too unstable to trust it with your'e life savings.

• Like 1

Just now, possum1931 said:

Yes, some topics do go off, but sometimes you get wrapped up in a topic and you answer other posts, then you end up off topic., but still posting similar things.

But would you mind refraining from hitting out at some expats and running them down because they cannot afford to put 400.000 Bt in the bank for extensions based on marriage. They have the same right to be here as you.

A lot of these guys are contributing to the economy by buying a house and bringing up Thai kids, and bringing money into the country regularly.

I can easily afford to put 400.000 Bt in my bank, but I would prefer to have the biggest majority of my money in the UK.

This country is too unstable to trust it with your'e life savings.

No body is that poor.  If they leave it's not because of the current visa and lack of income letters.  This and all the other threads are not factual only the same old Thai bashing nonsense like you don't trust Thai banks.  Total BS in my opinion.  Who, wanting to stay could not borrow 400,000 for 8 weeks?  Come on.  Get real. 

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

"you live in Australia-what do you care?"Ah yes..the stock shrieking....(Rhesus monkeys in the background)..

Strangely enough there are jet aircraft which gets you from A to B in a tolerable amount of time and have been doing so since the 60's..

I have a house in Thailand,a family in Thailand and two dogs in Thailand..no..make that three..and will be travelling back early next year (God willing)

Of course this is anathema to the pathetic shrieking crowd with their screams of "don't let the door hit you on the way out' and other such gems of human intellectual endeavour.

Most of the folks saying goodbye on TVF have,in my experience,done so with courtesy and sufficient explanation and have been treated with ill manners and downright rudeness.

To quote you, "Whatever."

Is that more on topic?  Make everyone feel better? 

Do you know anyone who is leaving because of the current visa issue - no income letters?  You don't strike me as a person who would know anyone that poor who could not borrow 400,000 for 8 weeks.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  How many people do you know that are leaving because of no income letter? 

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

No body is that poor.  If they leave it's not because of the current visa and lack of income letters.  This and all the other threads are not factual only the same old Thai bashing nonsense like you don't trust Thai banks.  Total BS in my opinion.  Who, wanting to stay could not borrow 400,000 for 8 weeks?  Come on.  Get real. 

A lot of people are like me and do not want to borrow money. I do agree with your second sentence, but we will just have to wait and see how this pans out.

I am not a Thai basher, but I do not trust Thai authorities, there are full of corruption, But I don't mind, I will just make it work for myself when it suits me. Besides, how can you trust an establishment that takes 200 odd Baht from you just to use your'e foreign debit card?

Yes I know off topic again.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 5:21 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I wont be leaving because I havent gone to live there full time yet.

But what im complaining about is all the complainers who complain but and threaten to leave but never do, in fact no one has left .

Currently in Spain, but coming back ????

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

As of yet, only the Danes have been affected. Others will be next year. 

Another who obviously lives his life on some gated development and never gets further afield than the clubhouse at the golf course. I would say about one third of the people i know currently use agents and it isn't because they are lazy. Most, if they did have savings, spent most of it on a car and a house soon after they got here, and the exchange rate was a lot better 10 years ago when they made their plans and costed out their retirement. If they do have any savings left, it is quite possible under 800,000 or even 400,000 baht. UK pensions are not particularly generous and would probably only AVERAGE 65,000 baht a month - leaving possibly half to make do on less. I would say the new rules will end up with half the retirees in Udon ending up with agents.

Has Marcus TRIED borrowing money in Thailand when you are a retired expat? There was a thread about some 70 year old who tried to do that a couple of days ago. SOME will be able to raise the money from savings back in their home country (where they would prefer to keep it) and SOME who use the Income letter will still be able to show sufficient income (one issue is the difference between gross and net income). It seems as well you will have to meet the income requirement every month of the year, not easy for some.

I was personally able to borrow money in the UK to top up savings to meet the cash in the bank requirement (I will probably still meet the income requirement, but that lacks clarity at the moment), but many are not in that position, as it requires a UK address, bank accounts and to still be able to maintain a credit rating. A crackdown on agents would possibly halve our population.

Many new retirees came here about 12-8 years ago, not many since. Many of these were on early retirement after redundancy. Of those i knew 8 years ago, about half have gone - or just faded away. I know at least half a dozen are back in the UK. Reasons could be varied but impolite to ask.

I live on a normal soi neighbors teachers and government workers.  My wife has a 3 million dollar loan on our house.  I was with her when she borrowed the money and it was after we got married.   

36% of people queried on ThaiVisa said they used the income method.  I would imagine maybe 10% of those would not have the cash for the small amount needed to deposit in the bank for 8 weeks if a marriage visa. 

I don't know anyone who doesn't have $12,000 for 8 weeks necessary to keep wife and family together. 

A Falang can't buy a house/land in Thailand.  It is a constant source of amazement to me that anyone would try and do this and as a result be forced to leave Thailand.  I don't know anyone who had done that or would admit to doing that if it meant no savings. 

An agent?  Why would anyone use an agent?  You mean they didn't have the income to begin with to legally get a visa?  I have met a few business people who use an agent but they are not retired. 

I believe this thread is about how many will leave as a result of not being able to get an income letter.  How many do you know?  I know none. 

I don't understand your comment only the Danes have been affected. 

Edited by marcusarelus

On 11/26/2018 at 12:44 PM, giddyup said:

If they can't meet the conditions without the income letter, ie have 800K in the bank, there will be no other choice but to leave. Either that or go on overstay.

Which is exactly what some old guys were saying in a bar last week, that the US Embassy is forcing them to go on overstay because they don't have the 800K. some of these old retired US Military types don't make the 65K per months either, so were just telling the US Embassy that they made "This many $$" in monthly retirement payments, and they would get a letter with that amount on it.............boggles the mind.

2 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Which is exactly what some old guys were saying in a bar last week, that the US Embassy is forcing them to go on overstay because they don't have the 800K. some of these old retired US Military types don't make the 65K per months either, so were just telling the US Embassy that they made "This many $$" in monthly retirement payments, and they would get a letter with that amount on it.............boggles the mind.

Seems hard to believe.  Retired military after 20 years would be at least around $20,000 and another $20,000 for Social security.  That would be 110,000 baht per month.  Do you belong to the VFW? 

22 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Seems hard to believe.  Retired military after 20 years would be at least around $20,000 and another $20,000 for Social security.  That would be 110,000 baht per month.  Do you belong to the VFW? 

No, I don't.........I retired Army twenty five years ago, my take home after taxes was $1800 a month back then........short of 65K........granted, if I added SS to that it would have been over the 65K mark but didn't take SS until 66.  Some people were in the Reserves so couldn't take their retirement until they acquired enough points or reached 60yo.  Quick edit, some have been divorced and if married over 10 years their divorced spouce gets half their retirement check by statue, no court order required.  My point is they actually believe the US Embassy is guilty of them overstaying if they don't give them a letter.  Another poster points out its not in effect yet, not until June 2019........we shall see. 

BTW  I don't have any of their problems  -  I never keep less than 2 million baht in the bank, and make quadruple the amount you show above............

I foresee loan sharks making a killing end of next year.

Edited by TunnelRat69

I lived here straight for 14 years then the last 5 years been doing 6 months in the UK working then back here for winter months suits me at the moment but have a decision to make as my son is at school age and needs to be settled in somewhere.
The majority of my trusted friends have returned to their respective countries,
An English couple had a 10 year plan to live here and then return to the UK to their ageing parents and to spend more time with grandkids and have settled back into UK life well .
Another friend has taken his young family back to have his kids educated in the UK after 15 years running a successful business here and after 2 years he has no regrets .
About 4 others returned to the UK disillusioned and spent up never to return even for holidays!
Me I’m not sure the main thing against the UK is the winters as I can’t stand the cold ,I’m only doing 5 months this time as I’m off to the states for a month for a change and not been there for 20 years .

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I don't know anyone who doesn't have $12,000 for 8 weeks necessary to keep wife and family together. 

I know one single person that will be leaving.

Some people do not have the money. In the case of the guy I know leaving, he has a girlfriend that he will be walking away from. He is off to the Philippines in December. I know another guy that is married, has about 300K left and is in his 80's. He has a house, car and a working wife and got 50K a month as a pension and was using the letter. He says he is now going to just live off his wife for a few months and save 50K from his payments so he has got enough cash to make 400K for his extension. 

45 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I foresee loan sharks making a killing end of next year

So do I.

I need to do an extension stamp transfer soon for a new passport.

My Agent said to me "Oh, have you got 400K in your bank, if not we got a deal going".

I said, "Yeah I got the 400K in. What's the deal.'' 

They said, "Oh, never mind" and 'shut their mouths down' very quickly like nothing happened.

Edited by totally thaied up

2 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

I know one single person that will be leaving.

Some people do not have the money. In the case of the guy I know leaving, he has a girlfriend that he will be walking away from. He is off to the Philippines in December. I know another guy that is married, has about 300K left and is in his 80's. He has a house, car and a working wife and got 50K a month as a pension and was using the letter. He says he is now going to just live off his wife for a few months and save 50K from his payments so he has got enough cash to make 400K for his extension. 

So do I.

I need to do an extension stamp transfer soon for a new passport.

My Agent said to me "Oh, have you got 400K in your bank, if not we got a deal going".

I said, "Yeah I got the 400K in. What's the deal.'' 

They said, "Oh, never mind" and <deleted> very quickly.

Your married friend with 300K has the means to qualify if he uses the combination method. He could even qualify for extensions based on retirement.

1 minute ago, jmd8800 said:

Your married friend with 300K has the means to qualify if he uses the combination method. He could even qualify for extensions based on retirement.

Combo won't work on marriage and we all are not sure about how they are going to accept cash coming in. He can save the money in three months easily to make the 400K but I am just trying to say, a lot of guys here set up that are pretty old with not that much cash in the bank but have a pension coming in that makes life easy. 

Thanks for your suggestion.

I live on a normal soi neighbors teachers and government workers.  My wife has a 3 million dollar loan on our house.  I was with her when she borrowed the money and it was after we got married.   

36% of people queried on ThaiVisa said they used the income method.  I would imagine maybe 10% of those would not have the cash for the small amount needed to deposit in the bank for 8 weeks if a marriage visa. 

A Falang can't buy a house/land in Thailand.  It is a constant source of amazement to me that anyone would try and do this and as a result be forced to leave Thailand.  I don't know anyone who had done that or would admit to doing that if it meant no savings. 

An agent?  Why would anyone use an agent?  You mean they didn't have the income to begin with to legally get a visa?  I have met a few business people who use an agent but they are not retired. 

I believe this thread is about how many will leave as a result of not being able to get an income letter.  How many do you know?  I know none. 

"I don't know anyone who had done that or would admit to doing that if it meant no savings".

I do, the very first expat I got to know when I came to Thailand to stay.

UK US & AU are still issuing the Income Certificates, currently it's only the Danes who cannot get one so it stands to reason that only the Danes could be affected.

I think we'll see some guys that are not aware of the stopping of Certificates start to be impacted in January/February at which point it will be irrelevant whether they can get 400/800K together from their overseas assets or not as they'd fail the seeding requirement.

On 11/26/2018 at 5:44 AM, giddyup said:

If they can't meet the conditions without the income letter, ie have 800K in the bank, there will be no other choice but to leave. Either that or go on overstay.

or get married

10 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

Combo won't work on marriage and we all are not sure about how they are going to accept cash coming in. He can save the money in three months easily to make the 400K but I am just trying to say, a lot of guys here set up that are pretty old with not that much cash in the bank but have a pension coming in that makes life easy. 

Thanks for your suggestion.

I stand corrected. I thought the combo method applied to both retirement and marriage.

On 11/26/2018 at 11:21 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I wont be leaving because I havent gone to live there full time yet.

But what im complaining about is all the complainers who complain but and threaten to leave but never do, in fact no one has left .

Nothing has changed until January 

• Like 1

Have toyed with the idea of going back to Australia,but my mate recently went back,A$48 for a pack of smokes,beer at ridicoulous price,not to mention things we dont have to worry about here-Rates[on your house] huge bills for water,huge bills for getting your car rego and the like plus i have built a large house here with a pool and large yard,about 5-6 million considering everything, [furniture,ac units 5, polished concrete floors,a house like this in OZ i would be looking at 3 million A$ minimum,so i reckon i will stay.

• Like 1