Agreement with CERN a boon to Thai education

webfact

Great job, Thailand. Every small step in the right direction helps. But Thailand must insist on participation in research and not merely in "observing the activities" at CERN.  This institution is surely getting it's coffers filled with this deal because this is how economic hitmen work at these Western institutions of "higher learning". 

12 hours ago, mikebell said:

How many Thai scientists have sufficient English/German/French/Italian to work in Switzerland?  On a day when Thai Education is under the spotlight for more corruption involving ghost students, these pronouncements are just steam.

How many all knowing farangs on here who speak English even know what or where CERN is without using google ? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:
13 hours ago, mikebell said:

How many Thai scientists have sufficient English/German/French/Italian to work in Switzerland?  On a day when Thai Education is under the spotlight for more corruption involving ghost students, these pronouncements are just steam.

How are your Thai language skills?

Good question and, going by the first sentence of his post, there was obviously no need to ask about his English language skills.

12 hours ago, mikebell said:

Pom put Thai dai nit noi.  Pom ben ajarn, gassian lao.

Let pray that you aren't teaching English

Edited by janclaes47

10 hours ago, quandow said:

Thais running nuclear power plants. Why did that just send a shiver of fear up my spine?

Cos you need toilet...?

You do know Thailand had been running a nuclear facility /reactor - TRR-1/M1 since...1962 dont you ?

Quick the sky is falling, you need to pack your bags, leave Thailand quickly, Thais have their finger on the button...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, melvinmelvin said:

no sweat

at CERN the electrics are done by professionals

trust me, been there several times

I wasn’t referring to the sparkies at CERN, rather the chimps with tools here in Thailand, for example; the tree swingers that chased a cable into the wall and mounted a socket 20cm directly above a kitchen sink tap in the house my gf’s younger sister just bought.... you couldn’t make this stuff up !!

3 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

I wasn’t referring to the sparkies at CERN, rather the chimps with tools here in Thailand, for example; the tree swingers that chased a cable into the wall and mounted a socket 20cm directly above a kitchen sink tap in the house my gf’s younger sister just bought.... you couldn’t make this stuff up !!

actually,

it was supposed to be a joke

8 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

actually,

it was supposed to be a joke

The mother in-law always comes to our place for Christmas, but we’re doing it differently this year, i’ve promised to let her in this time. 

That’s a joke. ????

3 hours ago, Scottjouro said:

You do know Thailand had been running a nuclear facility /reactor - TRR-1/M1 since...1962 dont you ?

Quick the sky is falling, you need to pack your bags, leave Thailand quickly, Thais have their finger on the button...

Snarky response. Also incorrect, there are PLANS to build a nuclear facility, but none running at this present time. Are you actually DT trolling TV?

Great, studying with high energy particle physicists my sweet bippy, and they have to pull out a calculator to add up their lunch bill. Just great. Embarrassing but great.

I doubt the next great CERN achievement will come from a Thai.

How about a cure for AIDS instead? Oh, already done that. Ebola? Lassa Fever? Dengue? Is there nothing Somchai cannot do?

Legend in their own minds.

11 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Good question and, going by the first sentence of his post, there was obviously no need to ask about his English language skills.

Let pray that you aren't teaching English

Puzzled by what you find wrong with my first sentence.

I taught English for 38 years up to and including Oxbridge entrance level.  I was Head of English in a 1500+ Northern Comprehensive School where my department's results were significantly higher than the national average.  I would love to contribute to Thai schools.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, quandow said:

Snarky response. Also incorrect, there are PLANS to build a nuclear facility, but none running at this present time. Are you actually DT trolling TV?

Maybe you should do some research of your own before jumping in.  The Thailand Institute of Nuclear Technology has been running a research reactor in Bangkok since 1962, and another (the Onghharak Nuclear Research Centre) is currently under construction in Nakhon Nayok.  For many years the TINT one was the only one in this part of the world, with much of the medical and oil field radiation monitoring equipment in the region sent there for their mandatory periodical calibrations.  The UN trust it.  The IAEA trust it.  The people operating the equipment calibrated there (including myself back in the day) trust it, but a bunch of Thai bashers on an internet forum know better.

Edited by ballpoint
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The agreement with CERN will likely go further to increase the quality of Thai scientists than many of the governmental efforts to "reform" education here. The agreement is nothing but positive and the negativity and disparaging comments directed at Thai people in this forum is frankly repugnant. To all the folks that automatically slagged off the Thais upon reading the OP, I have a simple question: What do you know about science in general and the quality of Thai scientists in particular?

I would guess that answer to that in most cases is "jack sh*t". I am a scientist, a data scientist to be precise. I work in the life sciences here doing analysis and research in the molecular genetics of vegetable crops. My work routinely brings me in contact with Thai scientists in academia and industry. My work sits at the intersection of biology, mathematics and computer science and so I have had the privilege to interact with scientists here from many different disciplines. My PhD thesis supervisor is Thai, an astrophysicist and well respected here and abroad. There many talented and dedicated Thais here and most people on this forum would be very surprised to learn that many Thai universities are held in high regard by academics at prestigious schools in Europe and America. This is not apparent by looking at global rankings, but it is a fact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

Maybe you should do some research of your own before jumping in.  The Thailand Institute of Nuclear Technology has been running a research reactor in Bangkok since 1962, and another (the Onghharak Nuclear Research Centre) is currently under construction in Nakhon Nayok.  For many years the TINT one was the only one in this part of the world, with much of the medical and oil field radiation monitoring equipment in the region sent there for their mandatory periodical calibrations.  The UN trust it.  The IAEA trust it.  The people operating the equipment calibrated there (including myself back in the day) trust it, but a bunch of Thai bashers on an internet forum know better.

Probably some think of a nuclear facility only on the lines of producing electric power for the grid.