Tuesday evening in central Pattaya.

balo

It is packed , everywhere. High season already ?

On beach road you could see many new tourists had arrived , mixing in with the locals. I counted more then 100 prostitutes waiting for customers along the road so I guess business as usual in Sin City.

Walking street was so crowded that I didn't even bother to have a look inside. Chinese, Indians, Middle East, Farangs, just a big mix of tourists. The malls were busy as always.

It doesn't feel like tourists are leaving Thailand for another destination, at least not in Pattaya. Same same as last year.

Why would you count the prostitutes? would have thought 1 is enough.

On a more serious note, Walking street is always packed early with tour groups, you should have had a look inside bars and you would be shocked to know its almost empty.

I was in soi 7 on Friday night, 6 customers in a rather large bar.

Of course not to take away there are are more people, but nowhere near as busy as you describing it 

1 hour ago, BestB said:

It's just a habit I have during my daily/nightly exercise from N-Pattaya along Beach rd. . I bicycle and count the girls waiting for customers. They were many today, maybe they also heard rumors high season is here?  

7 hours ago, balo said:

It's just a habit I have during my daily/nightly exercise from N-Pattaya along Beach rd. . I bicycle and count the girls waiting for customers. They were many today, maybe they also heard rumors high season is here?  

How many families did you count?

10 hours ago, BestB said:

On a more serious note, Walking street is always packed early with tour groups, you should have had a look inside bars and you would be shocked to know its almost empty.

I was in soi 7 on Friday night, 6 customers in a rather large bar.

Of course not to take away there are are more people, but nowhere near as busy as you describing it 

'...more people but nowhere near as busy...'  Huh?  Or, maybe the 'more people' are doing other things than hanging out in a Soi 7 bar.

A troll post has been removed, if you don't like the topic then don't read it but do not leave your nasty comments on here for others to read and for mods to clear up after you.

52 minutes ago, newnative said:

'...more people but nowhere near as busy...'  Huh?  Or, maybe the 'more people' are doing other things than hanging out in a Soi 7 bar.

You right, walking around on the street not doing anything most certainly beneficial for the businesses around ????

1 hour ago, BestB said:

You right, walking around on the street not doing anything most certainly beneficial for the businesses around ????

Yep, absolutely beneficial.  Because all those 'more people' you mentioned eventually have to land somewhere--at hotels, restaurants, taxis, shops, amusement parks, boat rides, shows, movies, etc., etc., and, yes, even some bars--but maybe not your particular bar on Soi 7.

Certainly right. Have several friends who own hotels and directly Western tourist related medium to large businesses. All of them have experienced declining numbers for several years, worst the last 12 months. Go Chinese, Indian or Arab or suffer. Just drive around with open eyes along the business Sois I. e. behind Big C etc. and see how many places empty or locked down. The times have changed and not everyone wants or can adjust. Too many negative headlines for years. Environment neglected to say it nicely. No longer bargain prices and real value for money. Horrific traffic. Pollution. Many better options... A short high season just does not pay for 8 empty months. Which does not mean TH will close down... They adjust and will do well with other groups of tourists.... MS>

3 hours ago, newnative said:

Yep, absolutely beneficial.  Because all those 'more people' you mentioned eventually have to land somewhere--at hotels, restaurants, taxis, shops, amusement parks, boat rides, shows, movies, etc., etc., and, yes, even some bars--but maybe not your particular bar on Soi 7.

Says you? Or you have some kind of evidence they land in all the places you stated ?????

16 hours ago, balo said:

Cool hobby.   Counting  prostitutes.. on a known street of prostitutes

I'm writing that down in my daily diary.     Please let us know about your other regimen?

18 hours ago, JaiLai said:

you counted more than 100 prostitutes, why?

Just one of things you can do without paying for sex. You can count them, you can round them up, you can fine 'em, you can take their names (maybe why they change them so often), you can let them go; so many things it boggles the mind, hey i just thought, 'you can boggle' them too.   ????

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Because he can.

He might be on to something to be fair - like flies to poo, hookers are drawn to tourist hotspots so an accurate 'Hooker Count' will be a very accurate measure of tourist numbers that actually spend money.  I'll get on to my app developer to write an algorithm - need to measure HPSK (hookers per square kilometre) at various times of the day to provide accurate forecasts, great data - it will drive up real estate prices and tell me where to open the next all you can eat breakfast buffet.  Get them to wear barcodes, simple tattoo so none should object, and set up bar code readers at every Soi entrance for real-time data.  Possibilities are endless.

a few hotels in the 700 baht a night range I've checked with in Naklua soi 27 area are fully booked or nearly full.  I know this because the one I normally stay at was fully booked when I arrived a few days ago and had to look around.  yesterday evening I noticed that terminal 21 was packed, marina mall and central festival were both empty.  too many malls.  and yes pattaya has become too expensive.  had a slice of pizza at marina mall.  it was good, but the price on the menu was 180 baht.  after all their taxes it ended up costing 211.  6 bucks for a slice of pizza.LOL

Always tough to make full sense of observations without a full questionnaire. With 100 ladies available for companionship on beach road, is that more or less than usual at the same time and same weather conditions. How many are with customers while you are cycling buy. How busy are the girls, (deals closed not tires kicked) What is their customer service rate? (turnover) Some busy restaurants do 3 sittings an evening, some two, and the soon to be out of business one. Also, as stated earlier there may be lots of Chinese following their guides and gawking, walking up and down walking street, but how busy are the bars, how busy are the girls (barfine), I happened to stop in at a walking street go-go for the first time in six months and it was packed. But that was Loy Krathong. I see from articles hotel bookings are down. But things are looking much more crowded than last month. All hard to judge as you cycle along Beach Rd. but I am sure the OP has a feel for what he sees.

Here is the first paragraph from a new thread posted today on these very forums:
"The chief of the Thai Hoteliers' Association of the eastern seaboard has told Sophon that booking for high season at Pattaya hotels are well down on those experienced last year".

Here is a quote in that very thread from a hotel owner of 10 years:
"I agree bookings are down but do not think have anything to do with computers , more to do with no people coming.
November this year is about 5% less than last year, however December as it stands now about 50% less than last year, is hardly any bookings for December. 
January already half booked.
People are just not coming back and all who came. All say the same thing , which is Thailand is not cheap as it use to be and those who come to party say it’s not as fun as it use to be".

Are these people included in your list of doubters?
Yes. Maybe they're high end hotels with an agenda, and anyone can make up statistics. My comment was in regard to the report on the ground.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived