Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

For some of us , there are more important things to consider , rather than just how much Baht we get for our Pound

correct,but a collapsed currency will bring a whole load of other issues into play,

11 hours ago, nauseus said:

all a load of waffle about very little,the pig nations always has weaker currencies than germany,if that figure of 6% is correct then i would say those nations have made up ground on germany compared to their old units of currency which the marl used to batter,another question where do france,holland,belguim,luxembourg,ireland stand on this issue or is it just the usual lets blame germany for everything,i dont recall those nations accusing germany of foul play.

2 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

That is right.

And what does that mean for the UK imports?

You also realize that the UK imports more than exports?

too many on here dont like to accept that fact,the most basic of economics is if you import more than you export than a stronger currency is almost certainly the better option,its a no brainer,i wonder if some of these ever went to school

2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

The THB is very strong at the moment, so the low rate vs GBP is not all about Brexit. 

yes i know but the pound was 53.5 2 hours before the result of brexit,any idea why it dropped to 43/44 3 hours later,i cannot work it out????

1 hour ago, samran said:

Simplistic thinking.

A currency devaluation to stimulate your economy isn’t all that it is cracked up to be. 

A lower pound means imports are more expensive, which will impact CPI. Local producers of the same product are more than likely just to put up their prices to match the imported benchmark. Double whammy. 

And just because your exports are cheaper means naught if you have limited access to markets. 

So you replacing seamless access to 400m people on your doorstep with customers elsewhere. Think:

- longer supply chains and more shipping costs

- tariffs in the destination country which will wipe out any currency advantage 

- non tariff barriers which will mean that that Stilton cheese which used to be easily exported to France may have to sit in port for customs checks in China or Japan, negating any freshness benefits.

- quotas, where you just can’t sell any more than a certain limit per year.

so, yes yes, I know project fear, blah blah blah and that dogged British bulldog stiff upper lip which achieved victory over the Huns. They need us more than we need them etc etc will sort things in a jif so not to worry, and you’ll carry on. 

ive been trying to tell the brexit fans this on here for months,they just dont understand or if they do they wont admit it,its anti british as they think the pound is some rival of the swiss franc

Just now, bomber said:

yes i know but the pound was 53.5 2 hours before the result of brexit,any idea why it dropped to 43/44 3 hours later,i cannot work it out????

That is because it didnt .

It went from 51 Baht on the 22nd June 2016 , referendum was on the 23 rd June and on the 24 th June , the GBP/Baht exchange rate was  48 Baht.

Once again, your figures are not correct

Breaking News

France has recalled its Ambassador to Italy after what it described as "baseless attacks" on its Political Leaders.

Its unprecedented for an EU member to recall the Ambassador of another member state.

The EU have a lot more to deal with than Brexit.

Is this the start of the implosion?

2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

With all the existing problems in the EU / Eurozone, then if they lose one of the 'big four' economies in their club without any kind of a deal, I think it's highly likely the Euro will take a tumble. 

so why are the currency traders waiting for a no deal/bad deal to send the pound crashing again?  and dont so project fear beause this is the one thing that will be correct,the same as it was last time,iam aware of other things being hyped up but this one is not,even if the euro was due to fall the traders would try there best not to let it happen to protect the union,the pound it would not be too bothered about,as the saying goes no player is bigger than the club

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

BBC biased against Remain? LMFAO.
A few Remainer pundits who were cancelled, trying to play the victim. That's like John Worboys joining #metoo. 

25 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That is because it didnt .

It went from 51 Baht on the 22nd June 2016 , referendum was on the 23 rd June and on the 24 th June , the GBP/Baht exchange rate was  48 Baht.

Once again, your figures are not correct

I was slightly out but so were you...it was 55 a few weeks before brexit but was 52.5 just before the result..it dropped to 44 a little later but was down to 46.5 only 3 days after the result.and never been over 46 since and today is at a 21 year low...

1549546909422701698188.jpg

45 minutes ago, aright said:

Breaking News

France has recalled its Ambassador to Italy after what it described as "baseless attacks" on its Political Leaders.

Its unprecedented for an EU member to recall the Ambassador of another member state.

The EU have a lot more to deal with than Brexit.

Is this the start of the implosion?

OMG the end of the world in nigh,shows how desperate you folks are when such a trivial thing like that makes your day,26 nations and 400 million people and thats all you can find,i might turn the TV on,will it get a mention?

France Recalls Ambassador to Italy in Anger at Yellow Vest Visit

France recalled its ambassador to Italy, citing repeated “meddling” in its domestic affairs and “unacceptable” provocations, as relations between the two neighbors sunk to a new post-war low.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-07/france-recalls-ambassador-to-italy-citing-repeated-meddling

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/02/07/france-recalls-ambassador-rome-italian-deputy-pm-met-yellow/

2 minutes ago, aright said:

France Recalls Ambassador to Italy in Anger at Yellow Vest Visit

France recalled its ambassador to Italy, citing repeated “meddling” in its domestic affairs and “unacceptable” provocations, as relations between the two neighbors sunk to a new post-war low.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-07/france-recalls-ambassador-to-italy-citing-repeated-meddling

???????????? Bloomberg,a post war low,well they must of been the best of buddies for 74 years if thats all it takes to start a spat.

This attitude is so typically French isn't it?

Macron doesn't like the Italians interfering in French politics by getting cosy with the Yellow Vests but feels it's ok for himself to appoint the next President of Venezuela.

55 minutes ago, bomber said:

I was slightly out but so were you...it was 55 a few weeks before brexit but was 52.5 just before the result..it dropped to 44 a little later but was down to 46.5 only 3 days after the result.and never been over 46 since and today is at a 21 year low...

1549546909422701698188.jpg

I was not "slightly out" at all , my figures were completely correct .

Your were not "slightly out" either , your figures were way off the mark .

Now you have changed the dates to comply with what you stated .

You have changed from just before and immediately after , too a few weeks before and a few days after .

The GBP also went down to 45 Baht in 2013 .and its currently low due to the strong Baht and the uncertainty about Brexit , once the Brexit uncertainty has been sorted out , the fiancial markets will know whats going on and the Pound may rise 

36 minutes ago, aright said:

This attitude is so typically French isn't it?

Macron doesn't like the Italians interfering in French politics by getting cosy with the Yellow Vests but feels it's ok for himself to appoint the next President of Venezuela.

Not to mention his 'Mini-Me' whenever the EU sticks the boot in to us.

2 hours ago, bomber said:

ive been trying to tell the brexit fans this on here for months,they just dont understand or if they do they wont admit it,its anti british as they think the pound is some rival of the swiss franc

Brexit fans think the pound is some rival of the Swiss Franc? What on earth are you talking about?!

I'm pleased you're on the Remain side to be honest...????

Archived