Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

5 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Who knows the future? Maybe the EU and Russia come together; they could easily end the punk in Ukraine.

It is always good to have a good relationship with your neighbors.

The U.K. will not be declaring war on Europe and we will still be members of NATO &UEFA & the Eurovision song contest

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, nauseus said:

It sounds like you are the one in need of a daily supplement. 

i think you want to deny the truth that greece blew the lot so you can blame the EU and germany,you dont live in the real world iam afraid.

5 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Yes, you could buy all the above as well as Chinese carved and super-washed. But we are talking wall to wall fitted carpets. The Belgians - with their subsidised production - captured the UK synthetic and cut-n-loop market 40 odd years ago. Their carpets are (even now) not a patch on the traditional Wilts and Axes*. 

The poorer areas were attracted by the lower price of the synthetics. But on the whole, they were rubbish.

Spain used to produce some high-quality 100% wool carpets in the 1980s.

* The best carpets in the world when I was a lad. Needs a fresh approach.

The fresh approach is stripped and polished floorboards.

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The U.K. will not be declaring war on Europe and we will still be members of NATO &UEFA & the Eurovision song contest

You are right.

But there are problems with the UEFA. Before, EU footballers can play without quoting. if the limit is to 2 third states footballers, What then becomes of British football?

29 minutes ago, aright said:

You are right the last 3 pages were all about Greece and Italy not the UK. Where was I throwing stones; the UK is a separate issue but quite happy to get involved if you want to start a post but not if the contributions are a wish list for the failure of the UK post Brexit as one contributor hoped for. I think the EU and the UK have problems but I certainly don't wish failure for either of them.

Imo you cannot discuss Greece and Italy without discussing the effect the euro has had on their economies. As I said previous ly their past history is water under the bridge and if the EU wants to save itself it needs to find a solution because if Italy fails that will be the end of the EU. It is estimated that German goods are 25% undervalued because of Germany's participation in the Euro zone. It is able to sell cars at a lower price. The participation of the Greeks and the Southern European countries drags down the value of the euro and the Germans benefit. Germany has a real interest in other euro members staying economically weak because it means the euro remains weak. I am no fan of Donald Trump but he recognized this some time ago.  imo applying a single currency with a fixed exchange rate and a single interest rate over a region with enormous economic, social and political diversity is almost impossible. Blaming the victim will not solve the euro problem and it is in large measure unfair...………..some would say immoral.

i cannot see how the PIGS bring down the value of the Euro,the euro currency is performing very well,it is NOT WEAK,its been stronger and weaker since its creation but where it is now is around average,i think you will find traders determine the value of a currency not govts,your certainly pinning your hopes on Italy leaving these days,2.5 years ago the EU was going to fall after the UK left,facts are it wont and you dont like it so its move on to whoever has had a spat recently,Italy will not leave in your lifetime,if you think it will you will get 2-1 at the bookies,go tomorrow place the bet and post a pic of it on hear if your so confident.your kids might collect the winnings one day

21 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Thx for well thought Post.

I'm sorry but the orange clown, I would like to exclude first.

I do not wish anyone anything bad either.

The world and the struggle for resources on this planet is in full swing.

The UK and the EU have many problems.

Geopolitically it is stupid that the UK wants to leave the EU so hastily.

Who knows the future? Maybe the EU and Russia come together; they could easily end the punk in Ukraine.

It is always good to have a good relationship with your neighbors.

......which the Brexiteers are totally incapable of big time re the Irish question.

Just now, SheungWan said:

It will be too busy engaging with the IRA again complements of the Hard Brexiteers.

Would the IRA go back to violence again ?

Its a different generation now and the new generation may not be inclined to start a bombing campaign 

11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Would the IRA go back to violence again ?

Its a different generation now and the new generation may not be inclined to start a bombing campaign 

they may not be inclined,that sounds reassuring 

9 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Come on, this is a wind up surely? 

so your saying portugal,italy,greece and spain determine the value of the euro,your usual rubbish is they should go back to their former currencies now your claiming they determine its value,but brexiteers claim its germany who does it,please make up your mind. 

5 minutes ago, bomber said:

so your saying portugal,italy,greece and spain determine the value of the euro,your usual rubbish is they should go back to their former currencies now your claiming they determine its value,but brexiteers claim its germany who does it,please make up your mind. 

Ok, I'm going to assume you're not winding me up. 

If Greece were removed from the Eurozone tomorrow what effect do you think that might have? 

Just now, CG1 Blue said:

If Greece were removed from the Eurozone tomorrow what effect do you think that might have? 

on me no effect at all,on the eurozone it would have outstanding debts,what they would do about it i have no idea,perhaps you can tell us,if they paid up and left iam sure they wouldnt be missed too much as they are a only a small nation of olive growers with summer visitors,odds for them to leave are about 5/6-1 how much ya putting on it

11 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

better growth than the UK,i doubt they will be leaving,keep dreaming

Tornos News _ European Commission_ Greek economy to grow by more than 2% in 2019-2020.html

4 minutes ago, bomber said:

on me no effect at all,on the eurozone it would have outstanding debts,what they would do about it i have no idea,perhaps you can tell us,if they paid up and left iam sure they wouldnt be missed too much as they are a only a small nation of olive growers with summer visitors,odds for them to leave are about 5/6-1 how much ya putting on it

What do you think forex traders would make of it, if the Eurozone was rid of a failed economy? Try to think about it a bit. 

3 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

What do you think forex traders would make of it, if the Eurozone was rid of a failed economy? Try to think about it a bit. 

the EU are soon to get rid of one failed economy,the traders reacted by giving that nation a good kicking,2 downgrades and a nice little 11-15% downgrade for its currency,  as for Greece i could only speculate.

7 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I didn't say they were leaving.  I'm trying to help you understand macro economics a little better 

i understand economics,had enough to retire at 45 although i do still muck in a little to relieve the boredom,   and yourself

10 minutes ago, bomber said:

i understand economics,had enough to retire at 45 although i do still muck in a little to relieve the boredom,   and yourself

Ok, if you do understand economics you're really good at hiding it. 

Me - 33 years working in finance in the City. Didn't retire at 45, but picked up a fair bit of knowledge along the way. 

3 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Me - 33 years working in finance in the City. Didn't retire at 45, but picked up a fair bit of knowledge along the way. 

????????  didnt learn much then did you.

21 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

so hows your retirement in thailand

Archived