Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

6 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Ok, the Irish times must be making it up then. The rascals. 

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-pays-more-than-400m-in-interest-on-uk-bailout-loan-1.3053791

UK lent Ireland £3.2bn as part of bailout in 2010 with final repayment due in March 2021

it hasnt stopped this clocked ticking

The United Kingdom National Debt Clock 2019 Counter __ nationaldebtclock.co.uk.html

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-pays-more-than-400m-in-interest-on-uk-bailout-loan-1.3053791

UK lent Ireland £3.2bn as part of bailout in 2010 with final repayment due in March 2021

Its called borrowing of peter to pay paul.

10 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

with the weaker pound the UK will be receiving less,thanks to brexit,another few million to add to the cost,if it collapses again after brexit we might even receive less back,thanks again brexit

This backstop issue is in someways a deflection or diversion. May's deal is comprehensively dreadful - A direct result of her arbitrarily imposed "red lines". A rational, mutually beneficial, deal is easily achievable.

The back stop road block will be resolved and we will be steam rollered into agreeing a dreadful deal by the CONs while the limp LABs stand on the sidelines looking gormless. ????

14 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

2010 was around the time the UK was just finishing paying of the US loan for WW2,lets hope the irish keep of the guinness ????

10 minutes ago, bomber said:

still waiting for you to explain how the euro only benefits germany,please explain 

Still waiting for you to give me the answers to the EU issues I raised many posts ago. As I did with UK employment issues I am happy to give you my opinion but only after you answer the questions I asked first. You continue to prefer/ being more comfortable with  answering questions with questions. I am not here to educate you. Are you the MSc in Engineering?

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

This backstop issue is in someways a deflection or diversion. May's deal is comprehensively dreadful - A direct result of her arbitrarily imposed "red lines". A rational, mutually beneficial, deal is easily achievable.

The back stop road block will be resolved and we will be steam rollered into agreeing a dreadful deal by the CONs while the limp LABs stand on the sidelines looking gormless. ????

I agree with you on this, sadly.

BTW I am still waiting on your response on the EU which you said you would give a couple of times. Did I miss it or you couldn't be bothered.

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

but boris says its not too far away from a good deal,total change in that mans thinking since brexit,i wonder why

6 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

It's not about 400m versus 70m.  It's about an EU Commission having a single unified goal, i.e. giving the UK the worst deal possible, and the UK having a parliament being stuffed full of remain MPs who think by stifling the government's negotiating position they will get Brexit cancelled. The EU have it easy.

I know there are far to many analogies being bandied around, but here's one more. It's like Liverpool trying to beat Man Utd while having 7 Man Utd players in their own team! 

Well you got the first bit right. Now you are outside the club, the EU is under no obligation to you give you a good deal. 

As a matter of fact, they will be out to give you as toothless deal as possible - as will most trading partners you will deal with here on in. 

So it will 400m vs 70m, I’m sorry to say for you. And similar when you are dealing with the US who want to give you chlorinated chickens and forcing the lengthening of drug patents so it makes it harder to sell generics on the NHS. 

It will be a billion++ with India and China, but don’t worry about that. They play the long game and will take 10 years or so before they decide to put pen to paper on anything that remotely passes as substantive.

All you have going for you are the eager Anglophile Aussies and Kiwis who set up Brexit sections in their respective treasuries soon after the vote. Even then, they have long memories for when you threw them under the bus trade wise in 1971, and they’ll be leveraging the fact that the UK needs some ‘quick win’ trade deals to get some pretty advantageous trade deals - for them. 

All the things you have to look forward to...

As for remainers sabotaging things, I doubt it. Straight after TM came in, you had Bonking Boris as your foreign secretary and Davis Davis as the brexit minister. Your own blokes couldn’t manage what they told everyone would be an easy deal with the EU.

46 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Dear, dear, dear!! Just done a transfer with TWise. 40.4 baht to the pound.

I'll be glad to get this Brexit stuff finished if just to get the extra baht back in my pocket.

Not long now to B day. Arte et Marte.

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I agree with you on this, sadly.

BTW I am still waiting on your response on the EU which you said you would give a couple of times. Did I miss it or you couldn't be bothered.

Actually, at the risk of being a drama queen, I've been in hospital after a minor stroke! Resting up so will respond!

27 minutes ago, samran said:

As for remainers sabotaging things, I doubt it.

Please name all of the prominent remainers in parliament who have, since they lost the vote, wholeheartedly and unequivocally got behind implementing Brexit with a positive and confident mindset.

Had the situation been reversed; had parliament been full of leavers and had the government been led by a leaver, and had the vote been to remain, do you really imagine that moving forward working as a part of the EU, things would have gone well? Of course not. If you don't believe in something, how can you successfully implement it? So it's not only the outright sabotaging by some MPs that has caused the mess, but the general lack of appetite and failure of conviction that has led us to where we are now.

The few genuine leavers in government who have believed in what they were doing, like Davis, have quickly realised the enormous current they were swimming against has made their job impossible, and have walked away. This is something every single MP who voted to allow the people decide, who voted to trigger article 50, and who ran on a general election campaign manifesto that promised to implement Brexit, should have done, if they had any ounce of honour and knew their heart wasn't in it.

And again, if the situation was reversed with remain winning the vote, i would be advocating that any leaver in parliament either needs to get fully on board with Britain a part of the EU, or walk away from their job, as the matter was decided and the country needed to proceed positively in the chosen direction... and i have very little doubt that you and every other remainer would be saying the exact same thing.

12 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Actually, at the risk of being a drama queen, I've been in hospital after a minor stroke! Resting up so will respond!

I'm sorry to hear this as well. Take care of yourself!

20 minutes ago, rixalex said:

Please name all of the prominent remainers in parliament who have, since they lost the vote, wholeheartedly and unequivocally got behind implementing Brexit with a positive and confident mindset.

Had the situation been reversed; had parliament been full of leavers and had the government been led by a leaver, and had the vote been to remain, do you really imagine that moving forward working as a part of the EU, things would have gone well? Of course not. If you don't believe in something, how can you successfully implement it? So it's not only the outright sabotaging by some MPs that has caused the mess, but the general lack of appetite and failure of conviction that has led us to where we are now.

The few genuine leavers in government who have believed in what they were doing, like Davis, have quickly realised the enormous current they were swimming against has made their job impossible, and have walked away. This is something every single MP who voted to allow the people decide, who voted to trigger article 50, and who ran on a general election campaign manifesto that promised to implement Brexit, should have done, if they had any ounce of honour and knew their heart wasn't in it.

And again, if the situation was reversed with remain winning the vote, i would be advocating that any leaver in parliament either needs to get fully on board with Britain a part of the EU, or walk away from their job, as the matter was decided and the country needed to proceed positively in the chosen direction... and i have very little doubt that you and every other remainer would be saying the exact same thing.

Last I looked it was a parliament, not a politburo.

The frightening  thing here is if you can’t convince your own country the merits of a trade relationship, good luck with negotiating with the rest of the world. You’ll need it. 

3 minutes ago, samran said:

Last I looked it was a parliament, not a politburo.

The frightening  thing here is if you can’t convince your own country the merits of a trade relationship, good luck with negotiating with the rest of the world. You’ll need it. 

Yes i totally agree. It is a parliament and not a politburo, and that's why MPs are expected to respect democracy. Saying that you will enact whatever the people decide, and then doing no such thing, is not. Does the fact that you find yourself like-minded with these people, really prevent you from being able to see that?

"Can't convince your own country"? Quite the reverse. The country had about two years intensively discussing the pros and cons of leaving, including things like trade deals, and after that, more than a million more people voted to leave than voted to remain.

As for needing luck, with parliament approaching Brexit like a petulant teenager that has been told to clean their room, yes, i totally agree.

You should calm it down a bit matey. Sometimes the stress is palpable in your posts. Obviously it’s a subject we all feel strongly about and need to vent frequently. In the end, it’s only an obscure forum in a far off land. No need to make yourself ill over anything in TVF.
Get well soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

35 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

So you're predicting Brexit will strengthen the pound?

A very good question bristolboy.

The way I read it is this: at the present time the whole system; bankers, business, EU, parliament is now geared up to leave (no deal, hard Brexit, crash out). So we are pretty much there in terms of the pound's strength (weakness).

The second referendum (people's vote) is now dead and buried. May's deal is not likely to get much more support than it did last time.

A delay in a50 has now come over the horizon (momentum are pushing for it) and this seems to be the last remainer hope.

If we leave, as the people voted to, I think there will be an initial drop in pound value; maybe to 36/37/38 baht level. But after a couple of tricky months, the pound will start to rise. Without the baht changing, I can see 50 baht to the pound later this year. If the baht weakens then more.

This speculation is, of course, dependent upon what the US intends to do with their problematic neighbours across the gulf, those nasty Iranians, the pesky russians and the cheating Chinese.

I hope I can remember where I buried all the gold.

3 hours ago, rixalex said:

Yes i totally agree. It is a parliament and not a politburo, and that's why MPs are expected to respect democracy. Saying that you will enact whatever the people decide, and then doing no such thing, is not. Does the fact that you find yourself like-minded with these people, really prevent you from being able to see that?

"Can't convince your own country"? Quite the reverse. The country had about two years intensively discussing the pros and cons of leaving, including things like trade deals, and after that, more than a million more people voted to leave than voted to remain.

As for needing luck, with parliament approaching Brexit like a petulant teenager that has been told to clean their room, yes, i totally agree.

I think we have quite different definitions of what democracy is and I think a good democracy needs effective opposition to help shape final outcomes. 

It is the right of any parliamentary representative to vote how they see fit and that always has been the way. 

Even though I have no skin in the game (apart from a british pension in 20 something years - hopefully the pound is still worth something) I’ve always thought departure from the EU was inevitable after the vote, even though I thought the decision itself was stupid. 

My attitute is now to brexiters: well you’ve made your bed...and karma will be a b!tch. 

Archived