Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

I think one thing we can all agree on, Leavers and Remaniers....May is not a negotiator.  The fact she put herself in charge of the process for the UK side is almost criminal. 

Should have remained a dancer

(on the Black and White Minstrel Show)

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Relax remainers. It will all be over in a few weeks, Don't stress yourself any longer. Join with the triumphant Brexiteer camp and help make the UK a powerhouse once again.

In 1973, UK's manufacturing accounted for 22/23% of the GDP. Last year it was 10/11%. In the same period, Germany figures were 22% and 23% respectively.

We have got to start manufacturing stuff again; cars, TeeVees, carpets and footwear etc.

With zero tariffs?

Relax remainers. It will all be over in a few weeks, Don't stress yourself any longer. Join with the triumphant Brexiteer camp and help make the UK a powerhouse once again.

In 1973, UK's manufacturing accounted for 22/23% of the GDP. Last year it was 10/11%. In the same period, Germany figures were 22% and 23% respectively.

We have got to start manufacturing stuff again; cars, TeeVees, carpets and footwear etc.

Hello Again! Morris Ital!

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Quite, but the UK government has a dismal track record on seeing industrial initiative to fruition.

Some good news on the industrial front, Orbex has opened their headquarters in my home town.

Orbex unveiled its Prime rocket, powered by what has been described as the world's largest 3D printed rocket engine, at its new base at Forres Enterprise Park.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-47148196?fbclid=IwAR34mxhSFE_JB-L4-KVQVu7tp6cmJs0s6sMgege0lCmF3fLbjC6Mjip4ovA

Considering the lack of launch capability in Europe, a bad relationship with the EU could very well see the project lose momentum. I would suspect that some European companies are keeping a close eye on developments.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Hello Again! Morris Ital!

Did you have one of these beauties SW?

I liked the Austin Allegro. Did everything I asked it to; and a whole lot more. Started in the mornings. Kept me dry in the rain (sort of) and was a passion magnet for the Dagenham lasses; although they did prefer the Cortina for the room in the back.

22 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Quite, but the UK government has a dismal track record on seeing industrial initiative to fruition.

Some good news on the industrial front, Orbex has opened their headquarters in my home town.

Orbex unveiled its Prime rocket, powered by what has been described as the world's largest 3D printed rocket engine, at its new base at Forres Enterprise Park.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-47148196?fbclid=IwAR34mxhSFE_JB-L4-KVQVu7tp6cmJs0s6sMgege0lCmF3fLbjC6Mjip4ovA

Considering the lack of launch capability in Europe, a bad relationship with the EU could very well see the project lose momentum. I would suspect that some European companies are keeping a close eye on developments.

I'd quite like to see the carpet industry revamped. Stop that Belgian toot flooding in and get with the Wiltons and Axes. What a boost that would be to the carpet producing towns and the Welsh sheep farmers.

If we were to renew every carpet in every home in the UK our money worries would be over. Any excess could be flogged off to India or Jamaica on the cheap. 

I would also prefer if we (us UKs) would stick to eating homemade cheese and drinking home brewed wine. Let's hit these jumped-up EU countries where it hurts most.

How 11th must the hour get.

But Mr Juncker responded by underlining that the EU27 would not reopen the withdrawal agreement 

Speaking on her way back to London, she added:

“What I’ve set out is our clear position, that we must secure legally binding changes to the withdrawal agreement 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-no-deal-brexit-cabinet-resigns-conservative-party-brussels-jean-claude-juncker-donald-a8768491.html

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

But Mr Juncker responded by underlining that the EU27 would not reopen the withdrawal agreement 

“What I’ve set out is our clear position, that we must secure legally binding changes to the withdrawal agreement 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-no-deal-brexit-cabinet-resigns-conservative-party-brussels-jean-claude-juncker-donald-a8768491.html

And I'll tell you what May should say. "I'll not even speak - let alone negotiate - with anyone from the EU that is not elected. Or put in place by the elected body."

That'll stuff 'em! The unelected, limping away with drooped shoulders, their tails between their legs and with tearful eyes. May could yet be triumphant, our saviour and hero.

12 hours ago, wilcopops said:

'It is the first time in our long history that any British government has embraced a policy of self-harm, despite their own advisers warning that it will make our nation weaker – and our people poorer'... John Major

Maastricht Major...?

11 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I'd quite like to see the carpet industry revamped. Stop that Belgian toot flooding in and get with the Wiltons and Axes. What a boost that would be to the carpet producing town and the Welsh sheep farmers.

If we were to renew every carpet in every home in the UK our money worries would be over. Any excess could be flogged off to India or Jamaica on the cheap. 

I would also prefer if we (us UKs) would stick to eating homemade cheese and drinking home brewed wine. Let's hit these jumped-up EU countries where it hurts most.

All pie in the sky without the available disposable income. Reducing unemployment with low paid work helps no one, there is insufficient earnings to contribute to the government liabilities. Raising wages pushes prices up reducing disposable income for those on low incomes and hardship for those on benefits.

Whether you like it or not at the end of the day it is all about real jobs from investment, and foreign investment is a key factor. 

An isolated independent UK will only go one way, and its not up.

9 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

And I'll tell you what May should say. "I'll not even speak - let alone negotiate - with anyone from the EU that is not elected. Or put in place by the elected body."

That'll stuff 'em! The unelected, limping away with drooped shoulders, their tails between their legs and with tearful eyes. May could yet be triumphant, our saviour and hero.

Mr Juncker was speaking on behalf of the EU27 and it says a lot if you believe them to be unelected.

35 minutes ago, sandyf said:

More than anything else, I'm annoyed at the way this has suddenly turned into 'the only problem with the agreement is the backstop which ensures the uk cannot leave the eu'!

There are many more problems with the agreement, which are being ignored!

2 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Hello again..Hooper Wraith.

proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Lovely motor. The RR went backwards from then on.

Never had one but I did have an Armstrong Siddeley, a Jensen FF, Austin Allegro and my favourite, for pulling the Dagenham lasses; the Ford Cortina.

Those were the days. Let's get back to them!

Never had one but I did have an Armstrong Siddeley, a Jensen FF, Austin Allegro and my favourite, for pulling the Dagenham lasses; the Ford Cortina.

If you had a bag of chips you could pick up a

Dagenham lass. 

You had some good old cars there, such a shame

governments didn't support British industry.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Mr Juncker was speaking on behalf of the EU27 and it says a lot if you believe them to be unelected.

Of course they are all elected and everything is transparent in the EU Parliament we know that.???? Remind us, wasn't it Juncker who promoted/endorsed  Selmayr and is he still in post?

The European Parliament yesterday (13 December) adopted a resolution, with a majority of 71%, that calls for the resignation of Martin Selmayr, the former right-hand man of Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker whose rushed promotion earlier this year was criticised as “a coup-like action”.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/eu-elections-2019/news/parliament-massively-votes-for-selmayrs-resignation/

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

All pie in the sky without the available disposable income. Reducing unemployment with low paid work helps no one, there is insufficient earnings to contribute to the government liabilities. Raising wages pushes prices up reducing disposable income for those on low incomes and hardship for those on benefits.

Whether you like it or not at the end of the day it is all about real jobs from investment, and foreign investment is a key factor. 

An isolated independent UK will only go one way, and its not up.

Which way will the EU go? 

Overall the current Italian crisis along with Brexit shows that the EU concept is not working with two of its largest economies wanting to change course. It is the obstinacy of a selfish German/French cabal which forces Brussels to abandon any deviation from its plan, which is the root cause of the problem and will eventually lead to the breakup of the EU.

8 hours ago, owl sees all said:

the cuckoo speaks - where will you get your materials and markets?

8 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Good look with that ...iam not sure nike and addidas will want to pay Uk wages of £10 when they pay £1.00 elsewhere...same same LG siny etc..ya living in dreamland mate

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Strikes and all

1 hour ago, talahtnut said:

If you had a bag of chips you could pick up a

Dagenham lass. 

You had some good old cars there, such a shame

governments didn't support British industry.

The unions ruined britizh industry...nissan and honda only came once they were gone...and back handers lets not forget

Archived