Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

So you're predicting Brexit will strengthen the pound?

The pound crashed after the referendum. Nothing had changed to the economy over a couple of days, but blah blah “...it’s the uncertainty.” The currency speculators made their money.
In a couple of months “the uncertainty” will have gone. We will be out of the EU, still producing and still trading. I don’t know how long the pound’s recovery will take, but the same currency speculators will know and they will make loadsa money again.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Loiner said:

The pound crashed after the referendum. Nothing had changed to the economy over a couple of days, but blah blah “...it’s the uncertainty.” The currency speculators made their money.
In a couple of months “the uncertainty” will have gone. We will be out of the EU, still producing and still trading. I don’t know how long the pound’s recovery will take, but the same currency speculators will know and they will make loadsa money again.

You will be trading...but less.

Less demand for pounds will mean a weaker pound. 

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

Actually, at the risk of being a drama queen, I've been in hospital after a minor stroke! Resting up so will respond!

Sorry to hear that, Grouse. My sincere best wishes for a swift and full recovery.  

16 minutes ago, samran said:

I think we have quite different definitions of what democracy is and a I think a good democracy needs effective opposition to help shape final outcomes. 

It is the right of any parliamentary representative to vote how they see fit and that always has been the way. 

Yes of course parliament needs effective opposition but that is not what we are talking about.

We are talking about cases in which members of parliament make a promise to do something, and then decide that they don't want to do it. Opposing doing what they said they would do, in other words.

There's nothing democratic or ethical about that. If you can't do what you said you would do, stand down and let someone else do it.

As i said before, i'm sure, had remain won, you wouldn't hesitate suggesting the same thing, were a leave MP who had promised to respect the will of the people, been then not prepared to work with the EU.

4 hours ago, Grouse said:

Actually, at the risk of being a drama queen, I've been in hospital after a minor stroke! Resting up so will respond!

Don't kid us Grouse, we know you've got the dreaded

Fowlpest.    Seriously mate, we all wish you a speedy

recovery.  Keep yer pecker up.

Yes of course parliament needs effective opposition but that is not what we are talking about.

We are talking about cases in which members of parliament make a promise to do something, and then decide that they don't want to do it. Opposing doing what they said they would do, in other words.

There's nothing democratic or ethical about that. If you can't do what you said you would do, stand down and let someone else do it.

As i said before, i'm sure, had remain won, you wouldn't hesitate suggesting the same thing, were a leave MP who had promised to respect the will of the people, been then not prepared to work with the EU.

CON and LAB both went into that snap GE on “We will respect the referendum result and Leave the EU” manifestos. Since then, liars and traitors on both sides have done all they can to usurp Brexit. They are betraying the UK and the electorate.
This is not a Parliamentary decision for MPs to now make for themselves. They committed then lied to their own constituents, who will surely vote all the turncoats out at the next opportunity.

If Remain had won there would be no question of respecting any vote. We are already in the EU so nothing for them to do or change. The lot of them would simply ‘Carry on Regardless’. And a right carry on it would be too.

1 minute ago, melvinmelvin said:

seems leavers have confidence

In fairness melvin if you were flying in that airoplane would you have confidence. The panels have been rivited on the wrong way and the windows are the wrong shape liable to cause stress and eventual fracture at normal flight speed. Obviously a european project.????

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

The UK did quite OK , BEFORE we joined the E.U.

I am quite confident that the UK will also do well AFTER we have left the E.U

The question is how you define "well"? In comparison to what? How it would have done had it stayed in the EU? 

7 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

The question is how you define "well"? In comparison to what? How it would have done had it stayed in the EU? 

And that is yet another impossible question to answer - unless one has access to a crystal ball.....

Too many people are sure that their crystal ball is working, and so they are able to predict the outcome of leaving....., relying of course, on biased 'expert' opinion....

8 hours ago, aright said:

Still waiting for you to give me the answers to the EU issues I raised many posts ago. As I did with UK employment issues I am happy to give you my opinion but only after you answer the questions I asked first. You continue to prefer/ being more comfortable with  answering questions with questions. I am not here to educate you. Are you the MSc in Engineering?

you got my answers stop insisting you didnt,now to UK employment issue's what do you want me to say? are you happy with them or sad i need to know as to give my reply,

18 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

You need look no further than David Attenborough's vast back catalogue for examples of parasites devouring their hosts slowly from within. I don't ever recall an example where the host survived.

19 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Which will make UK exports to be more attractive to other Countries wanting to buy UK products 

the figures after the last crash prove other wise,you are looking at a another 15-20% drop to and several years for it to stay low to see any benefit and even that is not certain to happen,in the meantime inflation would of soared,that is a suicidal route to go down and 99% of economists would agree.the UK is not going to be a mass producer of goods again in the future,stop dreaming

2 minutes ago, evadgib said:

You need look no further than David Attenborough's vast back catalogue for examples of parasites devouring their hosts slowly from within. I don't ever recall an example where the host survived.

So the economy of the UK was in decline? Or are you some kind of voodoo doctor invoking an intangible and unproveable spiritual decline?

All governments induce fear to control the people.

Hence, 'BE AFRAID' has been UK mainstream media

mantra.

Where is the British optimism, resourcefulness, and

self respect?

We all know this gov. is a piece of sh1t, don't go down

the sewer with it.

5 minutes ago, bomber said:

the figures after the last crash prove other wise,you are looking at a another 15-20% drop to and several years for it to stay low to see any benefit and even that is not certain to happen,in the meantime inflation would of soared,that is a suicidal route to go down and 99% of economists would agree.the UK is not going to be a mass producer of goods again in the future,stop dreaming

Are you once again making these % age figures up ?

I also didnt state that the "UK is going to be a mass producer of goods again"

That is a strawman argument .

I was talking about the UK's current exports and the new markets that will be open to the UK with no E.U restrictions .

7 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Dear, dear, dear!! Just done a transfer with TWise. 40.4 baht to the pound.

I'll be glad to get this Brexit stuff finished if just to get the extra baht back in my pocket.

thanks to brexit thats the lowest rate for over 20 years and even more chance of you having less baht in your pocket after brexit,it was always going to happen,Project fear not required in this instance.

Archived