Cost of living 10 years on?

Clive

Good evening.
I am after a little information if any of you living in or have recently visited Thailand?
I used to live in Thailand BKK about 10 years ago but haven't been back since and hope to treat my kids to a holiday there shortly.
I am hoping to come for about a month and not sure how much the cost of living has changed.
We hope to visit Chiang Mai,  Pattaya water park, Hua Hin, Koh Samui and lastly Bangkok.
I was thinking of taking £2000 spending money as hotels will be paid for so its just food and a few tours/days out as Im not much of a drinker.
I would love to hear your thoughts as I have no idea how much prices have changed over the years but Im experienced enough not to pay top Baht tourist prices for things.
Thank you

• Haha 1

In 10 years it has doubled if not more.

Lets say if you in the mood for western food, a steak in a decent place, dinner for 4 would easily cost you 5000.

tshirs at the markets 10 years ago 100 baht, now 200-220

meter taxi same but private hire double.

80000 baht for a month with kids would not be luxury , doable but not luxury.

• Like 2

Basically I intend to live like a Thai as much as possible as I had to have a lot of time off work due to recent sickness so have been unable to save as much as I wanted but don't want to loose the holiday. My kids being half Thai are used to eating Thai food etc so this should cut the cost down a lot.
The only exception is a few excursions
At the end of the day we can live like a faring in faring land but the holiday is to experience Thai culture as much as possible 

• Like 1

Bangkok and Pattaya are always going to be more expensive than Chiang Mai.

I've been living in CM for 10 years now. I'd say prices on basic food have increased 10 - 20 %. My condo rent has actually decreased. Whisky hasn't changed, beer and wine are more expensive. Hotel prices in low season are still a bargain. Car and scooter hire doesn't seem to have changed, songtaews and tuk-tuks have doubled in price.

Your budget depends on how many attractions you and your family visit, because that's where stinging the falang is a national pastime. Maybe it's time to start a thread on free attractions.

5 hours ago, Clive said:

Basically I intend to live like a Thai as much as possible as I had to have a lot of time off work due to recent sickness so have been unable to save as much as I wanted but don't want to loose the holiday. My kids being half Thai are used to eating Thai food etc so this should cut the cost down a lot.
At the end of the day we can live like a faring in faring land but the holiday is to experience Thai culture as much as possible 

In that case it sounds reasonable, if the 2,000 is spending money only. You failed to mention how many kids?

Cost of many things in tourist places and places you intend to visit are more expensive than 10 years ago when I ventured out to those places but we still can find cheap places to stay and eat & drink.

If your on holiday you can keep your expense down by just asking locals.

Only £ to Baht rate has had an affect on my last 10 years, cost of living Thai has not increased much in my view.

6 hours ago, bomber said:

10 years ago 67bt/£ now 42/£  35% increase before thai inflation

Indeed, but that isnt relevant to costs in Thailand.

Anyone from Russia could say that Thai prices more than doubled in just a few months in 2014 when the RUB lost half its value, but they would be wrong.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Only £ to Baht rate has had an affect on my last 10 years, cost of living Thai has not increased much in my view.

I think that local Thai prices have definitely increased in that time. Restaurants I used to pay 200B in now cost perhaps 300B for the same thing. Beer has gone up a lot. Even a bowl of noodles that used to be 30B is now maybe 40B or 45B. Probably all depends on where you are and what sort of places you frequent though.

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

@Clive

I have lived in Thailand for 21 years. I am a bit of saddo in that I keep expenditure records.

In relation to baht expenditure, compared to 10 years ago. I spend around 1.35 times what I did 10 years ago.

I notice you framed your question in pounds sterling. 10 years ago, the £ was 54 Baht. Now it is 42 Baht. 10 years ago, it was 1.29 times better.

Multiply the 2 factors together 1.35 x 1.29 = 1.74 times (what you would have spent 10 years ago in £'s).

????

Obviously a retired accountant!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I think that local Thai prices have definitely increased in that time. Restaurants I used to pay 200B in now cost perhaps 300B for the same thing. Beer has gone up a lot. Even a bowl of noodles that used to be 30B is now maybe 40B or 45B. Probably all depends on where you are and what sort of places you frequent though.

I eat at home but we travel to many places in Thailand you can always find a reasonable price place to eat and drink.

Many places that are rented charge more for a reason. 

In the Thai market place in our village 25 for noodles go across the road to Thai / Europe place 45.

Beer large Chang restaurant 60 to 90 depends what restaurant. 

I buy beer by the box or pay 50 / 55 / 60 again depends what place I go to. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

Restaurants I used to pay 200B in now cost perhaps 300B for the same thing.

555, The only time I spent over 100bht for a meal in the last year was at KFC for my kids birthday this month (5 of us cost 600bht inc drinks and ice creams).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Clive said:

I`ll point out the obvious that over the last 10 years the cost of living has increased everywhere worldwide, Thailand being no exception.

Regardless of the cost of living and inflation over the last 10 years the bahts to other currencies bank exchange rates have decreased dramatically, meaning the Thai baht has lost about a third of it`s value for tourists including add on another 30% for inflation over the last 10 years, which means you should calculate that this time around it`s going to cost you approx 60% more than your last trip to Thailand. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

I`ll point out the obvious that over the last 10 years the cost of living has increased everywhere worldwide, Thailand being no exception.

Regardless of the cost of living and inflation over the last 10 years the bahts to other currencies bank exchange rates have decreased dramatically, meaning the Thai baht has lost about a third of it`s value for tourists including add on another 30% for inflation over the last 10 years, which means you should calculate that this time around it`s going to cost you approx 60% more than your last trip to Thailand. 

I think you mean the Thai baht has increased in value relative the pound.  Thais can buy more in the UK now than 10 years ago. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Briggsy said:

@Clive

I have lived in Thailand for 21 years. I am a bit of saddo in that I keep expenditure records.

In relation to baht expenditure, compared to 10 years ago. I spend around 1.35 times what I did 10 years ago.

I notice you framed your question in pounds sterling. 10 years ago, the £ was 54 Baht. Now it is 42 Baht. 10 years ago, it was 1.29 times better.

Multiply the 2 factors together 1.35 x 1.29 = 1.74 times (what you would have spent 10 years ago in £'s).

????

If you are basing your records on 54 baht to the £, you are way out. As has already been pointed out the the £ was around 67 baht to the £ in 2008.

7 hours ago, Briggsy said:

@Clive

????

The bus from my village to the nearest city about 60 Ks, is about the same as it was 13 years ago when I first came here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

555, The only time I spent over 100bht for a meal in the last year was at KFC for my kids birthday this month (5 of us cost 600bht inc drinks and ice creams).

I suppose you noticed the very small portions of French Fries at KFC.

• Haha 2